Push Up Question

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
Which do you think is more difficult - regular straight leg pushups or straight leg pushups using dumbbells/handle bars?

I stopped doing pushups almost a year ago due to a painful cyst in my wrist. I lift pretty heavy for chest (25 pound dumbbells aren't overly challenging for bench press anymore). So, I thought my chest was still fairly strong until I tried doing regular pushups while holding on to dumbbells. I could only do a handful. Are they harder to do this way? (Previously I could do about 12 straight leg push ups in a row). Am I turning into a weenie?

Shelbygirl

That's an interesting question. IMHO, if you have no wrist issues that would make straight-leg push-ups with hands on the floor painful, IMHO those would be more challenging because when your hands are using a prop like dumbbells or handle bard that elevate your hands off the floor, you are at more of an incline and that takes away from the exertion.

It's also possible that some of the newfound difficulty come in because there is more pressure localized in your hands with the bars that you're gripping, whereas the pressure is more spread out when your palms are flat on the floor and the entire hand is taking the weight load.

I'd bet, though, Shelby, that the reason you can't do as many right now is that you had to take off a significant length of time from push-ups, not necessarily that you're using handle bars. Push-ups take consistency, week in and week out, to maintain pec, anterior delt and triceps strength. And although bench presses in some ways are similar to push-ups, presses cannot replace push-ups.

If you are able to do push-ups with handle bars and not able to do them with the palms on the floor, then by all means keep using them. And do sets of push-ups at least 5 times per week regardless of what your scheduled workout routine is for the day. They're worth the effort, and you'd be surprised how quickly you can build up reps again, as long as your wrists can take it.

If you do use dumbbells or handle bars, consider placing your toes on a 4", 6" or even an 8" platform to create a flat body that's horizontal to the floor or indeed a decline.

HTH -

A-Jock

I don't know why instructors say to use bars or dumbbells when doing push ups especially if you have wrist problems. I have tendonitis in my one wrist and have tried using dumbbells vs hand on the floor and I feel more pressure using the bar/dumbbell so I just use my hand on the floor. I don't do toe pushup because I am not strong enough yet, still do knee ones.
Rhonda

I asked this very question of my trainer a year or so ago - he said technically, straight leg pushups on a prop - like dumbbells or push up bars - are harder if you allow the extra challenge that the prop is to provide - the extra stretch at the bottom of the movement. Think of like stiff-legged deadlifts on a platform - they allow you to lower the bar deeper causing you to really have to contract your hamstrings. Propped pushups are the same way if you don't cheat because it allows you do get even lower to the ground, taking some of your shoulders out of it and focusing more on the chest. But he also told me that if propped pushups are all you do, then flat hand pushups will be harder because its working the muscle a different way. I think its truly a matter of preference - you can probably make both equally as hard.

Hope this helps...Joy

I find the prop pushups/greater range of motion thing to be true; I got bars to kick my pushups up a notch. }( If you're going deeper than you were before, I'd say you're finding them harder because they ARE harder, not because you're a weenie!

Thanks for your responses; they are much appreciated. While we are the subject of using dumbbells/handlebars to save the wrists, has anyone ever tried doing planks or pikes on the stability ball using dumbbells? Planks seem like they'd work out okay, but I'm not so sure about the pikes. (I picture myself flipping over and kicking the TV right off it's stand). Do you think it would be safe to do pikes on the ball this way?

Shelbygirl

hello ajock

my name is ki and i was reading your response and it seems you know your stuff about push ups. I have the hardest time doing them the straight leg way. After doing about 2 or 3 good ones, i always resort going to the bent knee pushup. Is this b/c I don't have upper body strength? My husband tries to help me but he gets so impatient and ends up just laughing at me. Can you give me some advice of how to increase the number of straight leg push up i can do without stopping. Thanks in advance

I would think planks would be fine but like you said, I'd be afraid of flipping over doing pikes, it sounds too dangerous. I suppose if you really wanted to try you could just go very slow! Good luck!

Bev

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.