Push It January 2014

Cough, cough, cough!!!! Yes, STILL!!! I started a thread on the Open Discussion forum about this nasty unrelenting cold going around. The doctor told me that it has been lasting 2-3 weeks! Today is my first day back to work (!) and I'm so glad everyone is out today because I am coughing up a storm! I will DEFINITELY be leaving early today! I'm supposed to do RWH Upper Body Circuit tonight....
also, got tired of being on the "forever" waiting list at the library for Outlander, so my DH went out and bought me a copy! Can't wait to dive into it! One of my co-workers recommended it years ago...now that it's a miniseries the books are really in demand. What are you guys reading these days?

Good afternoon! Today was XT Bis and Tris. I still haven't tried the new workouts yet. I'm shooting for next week!

Jennifer, I have to say that Xtrain is one of my favorite series that Cathe has. I gravitate towards it often. I think it's due to the plethora of premixes. I'm glad the new series has good premixes too. I still need to check them out. I'm hoping to print out the manual tonight. I even bought a clipboard last night so I can start being better about tracking my weights. To be honest, I've thought often about writing an app for tracking weights....especially when doing premixes. None of the weight work sheets I've seen are premix friendly. Unfortunately, It's hard to find the time to do it. I think about it often though! Maybe someday.... :)

Nancy, that's a shame that the cold is lingering on. Mine never got too bad but it's still hanging on there. I notice that it gets worse when I stay up late which happens a lot to me. I've only read the first Outlander book and I really loved it. I'm not huge on romance novels so I hope there's more than that to in the subsequent novels. I'm trying to read the next book before the series starts up again in April. The guy who plays Jamie is incredibly hot....Clare is one lucky lady!!!!

Stacie,
What a fantastic idea about writing an app for tracking weights, and you are SO right - the premixes do change the weight selection! Sounds like it would be a fun hobby, too :)
I'm glad you were able to do some Bis and Tris. You have encouraged me to spice up my workouts; I will schedule some upper body XT next week.

Nancy,
That really is a bummer about your cough! That was so sweet of your husband to buy you the Outlander book! I'm not familiar with it but I'll have to look into it. One of my friends recommended the book Unbroken. I'm a nerd so I just finished two books -- both about nutrition and I found them fascinating... One is called Nourishing Traditions and the other is called Nourishing Broths. They both have recipes but what was really interesting (to me) is how the different foods and nutrients effect/affect the body and how nutrition has changed over the years. It's amazing how much research has been done and how the Traditional methods have helped heal the body naturally.

However I still have a sci-fi anthology on my Kindle as well as Death by Food Pyramid and Eat the Yolks... so 3 more books to go before I get into Unbroken (or Outlander).

In addition, I would like to finish the Six Feet Under series; I just finished the 2nd season. I believe there are 5 seasons. Winter time is a good time to get caught up... around here all we get is freezing weather; ice and a little snow. It's not like I can just go skiing anywhere or enjoy the winter sports and hobbies. There is one or two places to go ice skating and one place to go skiing on fake snow (which is super crowded and expensive); I might venture out but frankly being so busy all the time I really enjoy my "at home" time.

Have a great day!

Stacie! Just have to tell you that today I tried XT Chest/Shoulders/Back -- LOVED it!

Yesterday ended up being a rest day; I slept late (oops) and enjoyed every minute of it.

Have a great day and weekend, everyone! TGIF!

Nancy,
How is your cough?!
Jennifer, How nice of you to ask! I think that during the day the frequency and intensity are getting less and less; but at night, I still have some bad spells! Trying to stay positive and accept the fact that this was a bad virus so it may take some time to get back to my "fighting" shape! I am very glad that tonight is a rest night...I need it! Right now I'm kicked back reading Outlander and waiting for my crock pot chili to finish up for dinner! Hope you have a great weekend, stay warm, and stay healthy!!!

Here is a cut and paste update for you ladies from another thread:
Day 14 of coughing :(. The coughing is not as bad as it was during the day, but at night it is bad even if less frequent. I have been sleeping in a sitting position, propped up on pillows, throughout this whole thing because it is REALLY bad if I'm laying flat. My sinuses are still pretty yucky, too. But, I must say it is not as bad as last week ;)! It is very dry in the building where I work (only 10% humidity!), so I draped plastic tablecloths from ceiling to floor all around my desk and made an enclosure. I have a humidifier up on high inside and the humidity is 40% and MUCH better on my my sinuses, throat, and breathing in general! I call it my Zone of Moistness (The ZOM)! Last night I did RWH LB Circuit and it was pretty tough. Tonight is a rest night so I'll be doing some stretching and foam rolling. Like Pam, I can't take how messy the house has become and will be working on that this weekend! Also RWH UB & LB Circuits are on the rotation schedule so I need to watch out and not overdo it!
The doctor said 2-3 weeks so I guess I'm nearing the end of it :p!

Hi everyone! Pyramid Upper down premix was yesterday. Today was XT Legs standing only.

Nancy, how are you feeling these days? Has your cold gotten better?

Jennifer, do you remember the recipe awhile back that used greek yogurt and cheese as a coating for chicken? Yesterday, I tried a variation on that with a spice seasoning I picked up from the farmer's market. Omg....it was so good paired with some green beans.

I only coughed a few times during the night last night and once or twice so far today! I think I may have turned the corner and am getting back to my normal self! Sat, Sun, and Monday were RWH UB Circuit, RWH LB Circuit, and RWH Low HiiT w/Abs#1. I had Tues off for rest. Yesterday I did RWH Chest, Triceps, & Shoulders. This virus has really sapped my strength and endurance but I am pressing on! Tonight is supposed to be Plyo HiiT One w/Abs#2. (I'm doing the week 4 of the Scrambled RWH Rotation....I just selected it at random yesterday.)

Stacie, I used to used Greek yogurt and spices as a coating for chicken and loved it! Thanks for reminding me of this option...totally forgot! One of my co-workers used Greek yogurt with dill for salmon and swore by it!

Jennifer, how is your back holding up these days? Are you able to do the Ab routines in RWH?

Toni and Heartymax, you are missed! I bet you are both kickin' some serious workout butt and are super busy getting back to speed after the holidays?????

Well, that's about it for now...just wanted to say that I finished Outlander and decided it really wasn't for me... I'm not going to read the other books. I really don't care for bodice-ripping romance novels and grew to really dislike the main character. The story-line just didn't' grab me and I didn't feel invested in the characters or events surrounding them. I wish I liked it, I really do...several people really wanted me to read the series...but I guess after The Game of Thrones books (which I read all 5 back to back...TWICE!!!) I got spoiled by excellent fantasy writing. Can't wait for the 6th in that series to come out! I think in the meantime I'll go back through some of my old books (I re-read my books many times) and find something riveting!

One of the families in the neighborhood built a Little Free Library on their lawn near the street. It hold about 30 books and has a sign that says "Take a Book, Leave a Book". Yesterday I picked up "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, and "Inferno" by Dan Brown. Today I plan on donating to their cause with a few of my old books. I found a website about the Little Free Library movement, I really think it's great!
http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/

Hello! It's been a long time; I missed you fabulous ladies! Lots going on at work and at home. I'm staying active but that's about it. Cleaning for sure. MAJOR cleaning coming up (even rug doctoring the carpets - again) because of Craig's annual Superbowl party.

About my back ... It finally got better (just before the 3-week mark) and then less than a week later I found a little pig-of-a-dog roaming a dark street in zero degrees. She was wearing a collar so I coaxed her into my (small) car so I could take her home; she couldn't climb in so I had to awkwardly helped her up and in -- then BAM --tweaked my back again. I apparently didn't focus on keeping my core tight - that time it was my own stupid fault. I told my husband *what's point of trying to stay fit and healthy if my back is going to be such a problem* and then I think about how much worse it would be if I didn't work at staying fit and healthy... and I also need to just continue to gradually work at getting it stronger.

At least it's not as bad this time around but I'm back to nursing it again; pedal power, yoga, PiYo, no heavy lifting. I did RWH UB circuit and then Flextrain always staying shallow with the hip hinging/back bending things. I think tomorrow I'm going to try some inverted rows and cable pull downs -- at least that way I can focus on my upper back. I also have AOLIH on my list of exercises to do this week. This morning Cathe said "be thankful for what your body is giving you today" (YogaMax) and she is SO right. I don't want to take anything for granted.

Anyway, as far as the aDORable little piggie-of-a-dog I ended up taking her home with me because I couldn't get in touch with the owner; there was NO address on the tag, one of the phone numbers was (apparently) old, and no one answered the other phone number. I knocked on a couple doors in the area knowing the dog couldn't have been too far from home but no one answered their doors. The emergency animal clinic would have scanned her for a microchip but wouldn't keep her if she didn't have one so I just took her home with me. Again, it was zero degrees and after 8:30pm I wanted to go home and have dinner. By the time I got home my husband finally got in touch with the lady and took the dog back to her. I asked if he told her to put the home address on the dog's tag (he didn't). Apparently there is controversy about that topic -- whether to put the home address on the tag or not. I couldn't imagine not having a street address on our dogs' tags. It sure would have saved us a lot of time and hassle but it ended up okay so all's well. Except my back. So frustrating but it'll get better.

Since I'm into bone broths I decided to try making a leg of lamb just to change things up a bit and also get some new bones. The butcher cut it in half so it would fit in my crock pot. A little bit of lemon juice (for acidity to help tenderize it), water, rosemary, salt, and pepper -- cooked on low for 9 hours; that includes a couple hours where I turned it to warm for an hour because I wanted it to cook nice and slowly (and still to 160 degrees). The meat just fell right off the bone. I used a bit too much rosemary but other than that it turned out really good and we have LOTS of leftovers; the broth was fantastic and kept it nice and moist :)

Nancy,
How clever of you to build an enclosure around your workspace and add a humidifier! I can relate to you about trying to stay positive :) I'm thankful that my back issue isn't more serious and I can deal with some pain.

Glad you are doing so well and getting better.

That's disappointing about Outlander; sorry to hear it. I've heard lots of really good things about Games of Thrones and Unbroken... the books; haven't heard anything about the Unbroken movie if that's even out yet.

Way cool about the library :) I'll check out the link!

Since you asked about RWH: I haven't gotten around to trying RWH Legs or either of the Abs but I think I'd like Abs#1. I really liked STS Ab Circuits (no equipment) but haven't done that one in a while.

Stacie,
I wish I did remember that recipe with the chicken coated with Greek yogurt and Cheese; it sounds wonderful! So glad you were happy with it :)

Nice job with PUB and XT Legs.

I suppose I best get back to work. Have a great day! Stay strong and focused!

Hi there! Today was PUB minus abs. I wasn't able to workout much last week because I was in Chicago from Thursday to late Saturday night. My nephew's girlfriend graduated from Navy boot camp so three of us flew out to watch her graduate. It was a fun but exhausting trip.

Jennifer, I'm sorry to your back is out again. That would be extremely frustrating!!!! It was so nice of you to help the dog out though. Sometimes it feels like no good deed goes unpunished.

Nancy, Outlander is definitely pretty steamy. I still liked it but I did like the first part of the book better than the second half. For the trip, I downloaded book 2. I haven't read Game of Thrones or read the books. I'll have to do that since I've heard so much about them.

Hello Fabulous Fit Ladies!
This week I started the 2 Month RWH Rotation. I had a rest day yesterday and I really needed it! "Legs" nearly took me out! I was very sore in all the right places yesterday (and even a bit this morning!). Tonight is Low Impact Hiit #2 with Abs#1 and Saturday is Chest, Tris, and Shoulders. Then another rest day!

Jennifer, I think you deserve a medal for bravery in the face of injury! I think it is wonderful that you rescued Pig-Dog, but I am so sorry that it was at the expense of your back. I wish you could take it easy and let it heal, but I know you have obligations that prevent that from happening. Please let your DH clean the carpets! That is hard work! I hope by the time next weekend rolls around you are feeling strong and are pain-free so that you can enjoy your party.

Stacie, PUB is no joke. I really have to give myself pep-talks through that one! I love how many different types of weight-training DVDs Cathe has to choose from. What other Cathe UB DVDs do you enjoy? Have you tried any of the RWH UB workouts yet? The so-called "finishers" are brutal!

Well, I'm going to get started on prep work for a new project here at work. I intend on doing some beading this weekend. I have several bracelets that I want to re-string and some necklaces too!

Good morning all! It's been straight up chaos the past few days with very late nights and not many workouts. Today I did the second part of Supercuts. I was nervous it would be hard for me it was totally fine. Next time I'll do the first half instead. If I can get a workout in tomorrow, I'll have three for the week which isn't great but better than none!

Jennifer, I hadn't thought about it but Nancy is right about the carpets. Pushing a rug doctor, filling the water, and emptying the water can be a lot of work!!!

Nancy, I tend to prefer low rep high weight workouts. One of my favorites is Pure Strength but with just a short time frame for workouts lately, I've been shying away from any that require a barbell. I feel it takes extra time to fill the bar with plates. I have been getting more bars though so maybe it won't be as bad as I think! I know I could do them with dumbbells but there's a couple of exercises I don't know how I would modify. I really like the XTRAIN upper body workouts and TBT too. I haven't tried out the last two series yet. :( I want to give RWH a try but it has barbells in it.

Good morning all! It's been straight up chaos the past few days with very late nights and not many workouts. Today I did the second part of Supercuts. I was nervous it would be hard for me it was totally fine. Next time I'll do the first half instead. If I can get a workout in tomorrow, I'll have three for the week which isn't great but better than none!

Jennifer, I hadn't thought about it but Nancy is right about the carpets. Pushing a rug doctor, filling the water, and emptying the water can be a lot of work!!!

Nancy, I tend to prefer low rep high weight workouts. One of my favorites is Pure Strength but with just a short time frame for workouts lately, I've been shying away from any that require a barbell. I feel it takes extra time to fill the bar with plates. I have been getting more bars though so maybe it won't be as bad as I think! I know I could do them with dumbbells but there's a couple of exercises I don't know how I would modify. I really like the XTRAIN upper body workouts and TBT too. I haven't tried out the last two series yet. :( I want to give RWH a try but it has barbells in it.
Quick reply Stacie,
My co-worker does not have a barbell and she has been doing the RWH stuff with dumbbells. She says she's still getting a great workout ;)!

Good morning! I tried RWH Chest and Shoulders today. I did one of the premixes....2 sets with Finishers. I loved that she goes heavy in this one....in fact Cathe looks fantastic in this workout and her strength shows in. Since it's a premix, there is some editing I didn't care for. It felt like some of reps were rushed...I'm not used to that in a Cathe workout. I'll definitely be doing again however if I am short on time, I'll do the 3 sets without finishers instead. My left shoulder is sore from the pushup/sit up combo in Supercuts so I didn't fully do all of the finishers.

Nancy, thanks for the tip about the dumbells in RWH! I did the workout today without the barbell and it was still good!

Hi there! Today was RWH Biceps and Back no finishers. It was a good workout. I kinda wish I would have had time for the finishers but I didn't even have time to stretch. Hope you all are well!

Hi Ladies,
Sorry I've been MIA for so long! Just super busy. I've been active and my back is better (again). Thank you for the well-wishes on my back :) I think that if I do Rug Doctor and vacuum it won't be after doing a back workout! But you're right; this time Craig can do it all. He's having his annual Super Bowl party so he has been doing the bulk of the cleaning. I'm lucky he cleans -- and prepares food :)

Yesterday I did RWH UB Circuit without the cardio blasts (premix) and then followed it with Flex Train. I'm not sure what I'm going to do today; I'm thinking Afterburn since it's been a while.

Tuesday I did X77! One of the girls in the Cathlete FB group rounded up those who wanted to do it so we had each other for support; it is much more fun to do a workout knowing that others are feeling your pain! One of these days I'll get a custom X77 Accomplished t-shrit made :)

I'm on the waiting list for the Glassboro RT. I was ready to go at noon but Fire Fox wasn't working properly; the Sign Up button never showed up so I Refreshed the screen a few times and then went to Cathe.Com to sign up but it still didn't show up. By the time I thought to switch browsers (Chrome) the Sign Up button showed up but by then it was too late; she sold out in under 10 minutes. I don't know what number I am on the waiting list but oh well. Heartymax got in, though! A couple ladies I really wanted to meet got in, too. I'm excited for them and haven't given up hope that I'll get to go. I won't get my hopes up, though.

Do either of you have Les Mills Combat? I ordered the basic package and it should be here soon. I've heard good things about it and since it's super cheap right now (and includes the gloves) I thought I'd give it a try. It was supposed to be here yesterday but with the weather I guess it was delayed. Now Fed-Ex estimates today but I can't wait on it -- gotta roll!

I best get -- have some grocery shopping to do after I workout. Have a great weekend!

Is anyone here anymore?:confused:
Our little check in has been very quiet...I'm sorry that I've not posted anything in a while...I thought I had posted here but I think I got confused with my profile posts! Anyway, I hope everyone is still grippin' 'em an' rippin' 'em! I just finished the 1st month of the 2 month RWH Rotation. My torso feels tighter and leaner...I'm lovin' that!
Jennifer, did you get in to the Roadtrip yet or are you still on the waiting list? Did you get your Les Mills? I only have Cathe DVDs now. Donated all my Firm and Tracy Long DVDs to the library after dong my first Cathe DVD ;)! How is your back holding up?
Heartymax way to go on getting to the roadtrip! I hope you've been doing okay....
Toni, you are missed! How are things with you?
Stacie, have you been sticking with RWH? Are you doing a rotation?
Well, I 'll keep it short and sweet....Hope everyone is happy and healthy!
BTW, what did everyone do for Heart Day yesterday...we took a long walk in the cold sunshine!

Hi Nancy,
Way to go following the RWH rotation! Feeling tighter and leaner is such a good feeling :)

Seems everyone has been so busy! I'm still on the waiting list for the Cathe RT and I have doubts that I'll get in; it might be June before I'm even contacted based on other people's experince.

My back at least is doing great but I have an annoying trigger point that flairs up if I don't keep my workouts toned down. Better safe that sorry so I'm continuing to be very careful.

This last week I've slacked off; work has me stressed out and I've been sleeping more.
Last couple days I did Sweat; my neighbor came over and did it with me Friday night. Saturday was glute work and GS Back/Shoulders/Biceps. Today was Flex Train. Tuesday I did RWH Legs followed by the Ball and Floor sections of Great Glutes... my buns were sore for days! It's a good combo.

Still haven't busted into Combat yet but since Monday is a holiday I'm going to kill it with Combat! I'm really looking forward to that.

Valentines day was nice; we didn't do anything special but we did watch a movie (Brick Mansions) in the basement; had a nice fire in the basement and just camped out down there.

I'm glad you two got out for a nice hike.

We're supposed to get a lot (for the mid-west) of ice and snow tonight into tomorrow. Other than doing Combat, reading, cleaning, and organizing I don't have plans. I got all my running around done yesterday and today.

So -- has anyone made Duck before? Our anniversary is Wednesday so I'm making something different. All I know about duck is that it's usually in some sort of orange sauce from what I've heard. I'm not into the game-y flavor so I definitely can see lemon or orange flavored duck in a buttered pasta dish. Naturally I'm planning to cook it in the crock pot since I'll be gone all day and then have Pilates that night. But who knows -- maybe hubby will roast it in the oven. We'll have to talk about it :)

I best get -- thanks for checking in.
I hope everyone is doing well!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.