Pups are restless

Bubachick

Cathlete
We are expecting our dog, Sheila, to have her pups any time. They were quite active this morning, her belly rippled and bulged frequently all over. I sat with her on the floor, she is very cuddly now and I held my hand on her belly, and I felt those little rascals, I'm so excited!!!

We have a poll going in our family and extended family as to how many and what day they will arrive. I was hoping she would have them today for my birthday, she is panting more than usual, drinking lots of water, wants to be right at our feet when she's not napping but other than that no other behavior that might show labor starting.
I have never had a pet give birth, does any one have a story about their pets I would love to read them :D:D.

Bri :)

Hi Bri - I've never gotten to experience a pet giving birth but wanted to wish Sheila and you luck for a quick and uneventful delivery!

All that puppy breath! :p

Have you picked out names yet?

Good luck!

That is pretty exciting for you! My dog Pepper gave birth to seven puppies almost two years ago and I was a nervous wreck!

She was restless all afternoon, digging like a maniac in her welping box/kennel. I knew it was close because her temperature dropped to under 98 degrees in the morning. She acted the same way as your dog!

At 3 am she had her first puppy, Shiloh. 5 others came in short succession but I only had to help her once to clean them up. The 7th puppy came almost an hour after the last one. She ran outside to go potty and all over sudden raced back inside to give birth to her last pup. I am sure glad she didn't drop him in the backyard.

Here is a picture of my girl a few hours after she gave birth

260228897.jpg

I ended up keeping two of the puppies, I had a really hard time parting with the puppies. I am not cut out for this kind of stuff, I want to keep them.

What kind of dog do you have? I am so excited for you!!!! You know that we gonna need a full report and pictures :D Best of luck and keep us posted!!

My weimaraner Leia had puppies many years ago. She was acting perfectly normal and I took her out for a walk. Luckily we were just outside the door when I noticed a puppy being born. Had to catch the puppy, run back in the house with Leia. She refused to use her whelping box and had the puppies on my son's bed. Our siamese cat stayed with her the whole time assisting and sniffing each pup as it was born. It went on for some time and eventually she gave birth to nine. We would call out the window to our neighbor every time another pup was born. Finally when it was over we got her and the pups into the whelping box. Leia nursed them all and settled them down and then she left and went to sleep in her crate. She looked amazed when we told her she had to spend the night with the puppies. She was a good mother and when people came to take their puppy home whe practically waved goodbye. I also was not cut out for this. I alternately worried about the puppies leaving and having 10 weimaraners rampaging thru the house. Good luck and enjoy. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun.

Still waiting

Hi Thank you for the great puppy stories and the Birthday and Birth Day wishes LOL ( So cute Morningstar)

Sheila is still acting strange, she just bolted out the door after something, it's OK we live way out in the country ( no UPS man was harmed) LOL ;)

I love all the puppy stories and I hope I will be brave for this adventure, and yes I will try to post pics. Actually I already tried to post a pic, and I failed, :eek: I am so behind on all this stuff.
I will try again, in the mean time Sheila is a mix of Canary dog and we believe Australian Shepard ( she has no tail) and Big daddy is the biggest Rottie I have ever seen. The head as big as a bear !!!:eek: OMG!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but I can't keep quiet. You honestly don't think there are enough mutts out there and that you need to breed more? Seriously, I rescue Australian Shepherds - purebred dogs - and right now we're having enough trouble finding homes for these guys and the rate at which we are getting them is is alarming because of the economy. If you wanted your kids to witness the miracle of birth, volunteer to foster a pregnant dog or cat. If you think your dog is so special that you need to breed more of him or her - sorry, there are a million incredibly special animals being dumped because their owners cannot afford them or simply don't want them any more. I'm fostering an incredibly handsome Aussie boy whose owner dumped him because his new wife did not like him. He's a goofy guy, filled with personality and love and just wants to be by a person. It kills me that someone just dumped him. Please spay and neuter your pets. I'm heart broken daily when I hear about the sweet puppies (yes 3 months old puppies) being euthanized because someone thought that breeding their dog would be a good thing and then found out that there are not enough homes.

ITA, Christine - I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, I love puppies and dogs like crazy and I'm glad the Mom-to-be is in a loving home. I'm sure the puppies will go to good homes and I'm not criticizing anyone's pet-parenting abilities. BUT.

As a shelter volunteer, and animal-lover, I'd just like to ask everyone to PLEASE spay/neuter and don't breed or buy while homeless pets are dying by the millions every year.

I am glad someone brought this up and I admit I was reluctant to. I also volunteer at a shelter and luckily it is a "no kill" one or I would not be there. Spay and Neuter Please! My weimaraner who had her pups that was over 18 years ago was spayed after that. Her preganany was accidental when she was boarded at her breeder's house and got pregnant by their grand champion. Fortunately the pups found homes immediately. My heart breaks for all the unwanted and uncared for animals that are out there.

Folks, I hear what you're saying. But if I was Buba, I would be really hurt by the tone this thread has started to take. Maybe next time, start a new thread about spaying and neutering, rather than dumping all over Buba, who's a little stressed right now (and it's her birthday!)

Folks, I hear what you're saying. But if I was Buba, I would be really hurt by the tone this thread has started to take. Maybe next time, start a new thread about spaying and neutering, rather than dumping all over Buba, who's a little stressed right now (and it's her birthday!)

ITA. A new thread would have been much better.
I would love to be a breeder until the day came to find them homes...I would never be able to part with the puppies-no one could love them like I can.

Congrats Buba. I'm envious. I love the smell of puppy breath.

I agree too. Major bad timing here! At this point we should wish the mama and the babies (and the humans) well. A new thread would have been the appropriate way to discuss this very legitimate issue.

I hope the OP gives us an update despite these ill-timed and possibly unfair criticisms. Hopefully things went smoothly.

Amy

Sheila

Wow I never thought I would spark all this, I hear all your concerns and love of animals and I share it with you all. Thank you also for the caring posts and support.

Well I do have a story to tell.......

We rescued Sheila from the people next door, they don't actually live there, they live near Hamilton about 45 mins. away. They come out here on week ends to stay in the renovated barn, some times they don't stay at all they just check on things. We did not know Sheila existed for the fist few months they kept her in a large metale box, I found out after. When we found out about her she was then kept in a shack part separate from the small barn he built, with a run. Rabbit cages lined the shack and her bed was the rabbit droppings underneath. At least that kept her warm, but of course her water bucket was always frozen.
Now I already called the humain society on them the year before, for another dog they had that threatened my family over and over. It would get loose while he was gone and we had to deal with it. Finally they caught the other dog and he never got it back. I never thought after that he would go out and bring back another.
I would go and tresspass to bring Sheila things, treats, food, water, broth, and I got brave enough to go into her compound to see how she lived.
I was shocked and knew I had to do something again. So my DH confronted him and told him my kids and myself would like to adopte her, he agreed and we offered him money. He said no I got her for free any way at some market. Well she had never been in a house, never seen a vet, and she was already comming into heat. We brought her to the vet, got all her shots and made an appointment to get her fixed after her heat.
The poeple way down the road have two Rotties they let run loose at times, we brought Sheila in the house when ever we saw them. Our little Jack Russle is very good at alerting us when they are about.
One night Sheila was whinning down at the door, I went down to let her out and as I opened the door the two Rotties shoulder to shoulder pushed in through the door and in to my house. They jumped all around as I tried to shew them back out, Sheila was trying to join them. As I pushed them out the door I grabbed Sheila by the collar, she wiggled so much she got out of the collar and took off. She ran off in the dark, we called her but she didn't come back for at least 2 hours. We did not plan for any of this to happen, but I am taking it as a blessing, we plan to keep one of the pups and I plan to be very wary of who will get to adopt any of the pups. We plan to have her fixed after she recovers from having and weening her pups to be.

Sheila is still doing well, I just love her so much she is so smart. She never learned to play I hope her pups will help her with that.

Bri, I'm only sorry that you felt you needed to tell us that story. It is, quite frankly, none of our business.

I hope the birth goes smoothly. I'm amazed! I really am. I've never seen an animal give birth, so enjoy the experience and the remainder of your Birthday Weekend...in every way!

HUGS!

Gayle

Happy Birthday Bri!

You are an amazing person to give Sheila this life.(((hugs)))

Please keep us posted on the birth. I would love to see pictures!
Sheila is beautiful!

Thanks for the interesting background story--somehow I had a hunch that you weren't just breeding your dog for the heck of it. She sounds like such a great gal and you are clearly a godsend for her. I hope her pups do help her learn to play. What a change for her in such a short period of time. Best of luck and please post PUPPY PICS!!!

Amy

Oh, Bri, what a story!

Sheila (did you guys name her that? I love it!) was very lucky to have you and your family as neighbors.

Bri, I met you at the RT last year and I know what a warm and sweet person you are. I have been a friend of Christine's for a while here on this forum, and I know that her post came from genuine concern about dogs. She has given me great advice and sympathy regarding my pets. I'm sure she will feel just awful about jumping to the wrong conclusion. I just like you both so much! You are both great animal lovers with the same goal: taking care of those poor creatures that others just see as something to toss away.

I wish I lived near you, Bri. We lost both our dogs in the last eight months; Gilda, just a couple of weeks after I returned from the RT and Gracie, about a month ago. We have adopted a one-year old funny looking basset/lab mix, Wilma, to fill the huge void that being without a dog left us with, but I would LOVE to take one of those babies off your hands!

Please show us pics when the big day arrives! Hope everything goes well!

OH, and Happy Birthday!!!!!

Teresa

Thank you every one,

you are all wonderful people who I am proud to share a great love and concern with for our four legged friends. I highly respect the work all rescue, shelters and humane society people do, I do not envy their work and I can see their passion.
Thanks for the Birthday wishes, Hugs, and posts from every one, wish I was on RT this year to see you all again and meet more of you Ladies. And of course you too Jerry and Chris :).
Sheila already had her name so we kept it, wish you were closer too Tryingtokeepup. Wilma sounds lovely :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.