Punching bag?

lrhollid

Cathlete
Does anyone use a full-size punching bag? Any tricks to it or things to watch out for (like breaking my wrist!). I'm under incredible stress these days, and I need a stress-buster. Especially one I can tape pictures on }(

TIA

I have one just because my husband and son use it all the time. I did try it a few times with KPC. Just make sure you were gloves. Also you might want use the wrap that Cathe uses in Kickmax with the gloves to keep your wrist from not moving so much. Sorry not much help. My father in law was a professional boxer and taught my husband and son. So any questions you have I can just ask them.

Definitely use wraps or bag gloves when you use the bag, to protect the knuckles (and to help keep the wrist from buckling).

Oh how I long for one of these. I have also been looking at the free standing bags. I noticed that there is a difference in weight on the hanging ones. What is the difference in buying a 100 # bag and a 40 # one (besides weight)?

DH and I have a hanging heavy bag in our gym.

It can be a nice stress reliever...some days mine gets a name...and a face...and sometimes a groin. }(

I use it with a pair of training gloves like these: http://www.karatedepot.com/bx-bg-14.html

Generally, I use it with the punching segments of my kickbox workouts, and sometimes for roundhouse kicks. It's a nice piece of equipment to have if you have the space for it.

Let me just offer a word of caution--I took boxing lessons for 3 years & while it was a fabulous workout, extremely intense & lots of fun, it has completely ruined my hands. Even with gloves, the first year my knuckles blistered, & after that they scarred, which turned out to be permanent.

It's a real bummer b/c it is such a fun & high intensity activity, but the reality is if you want pretty, feminine hands, stay away from the heavy bag.

TIA,

I own a punching bag and gloves, but I have no instructions on how to use it. So I just get in there and do my thing. Hopefully Cathe will make a DVD on a punching bag worklout one of these days. I read on a thread somewhere that is was a possibility.

Just do your own thing for now. You might come up with something very interresting, and if you do, let me know.

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

>Hopefully Cathe will make a DVD on a punching bag worklout one
>of these days. I read on a thread somewhere that is was a
>possibility.

It's (supposedly) a certainty. When Cathe announced her association with Clear Channel(?) and new workouts, there were going to be 4 workouts filmed this Spring (after the current 'fall" ones and the "winter" 4-day split and step workouts---so maybe these will be filmed next year?). There were going to be four of them: intro to boxing, a bag workout and two others.

Kathryn,

That would be awesome! I can hardly wait.

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

Really, Kathryn? How'd I miss the intro to boxing. That's wonderful. I secretly (well not now) want to be a boxer.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.