Puggles

ZT27

Cathlete
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone here has a puggle? I know someone here has one. I'd like to know more about them so could you please PM me? Thanks!

Lisa

A puggle is a pug/beagle mix.

I can't speak for the mixed version, but we have a pug and he is SO cute. He's very sweet... but also quite a lot of work. He wants constant companionship and is also difficult to housebreak. Pugs are not really designed to be a kids' dog, so if you're looking for a beast that runs behind them on their bikes, he might not be a good choice. They are also known to have a variety of health problems particularly related to their lack of snout (i.e., they can't cool off or warm up as well using their noses like other dogs). We were lucky as our guy is very healthy, but that's not always the case. Of course, he does only have one testicle... but I don't plan on letting him use those parts, anyway. hehe

Good luck!
Marie

Hi Marie,
That's the problem I have with small dogs. Difficulty in housebreaking, health problems etc which is why I never get a small dog. A medium size is the smallest I usually get. We already have a german shepherd. I was just curious about puggles being a little better and easier than a pug itself.

LOL about the one testicle.

Lisa

He is cute! But what does his bark sound like...does he bray like a Beagle?

No - he yips more like a Pug. I swear I think he has all the great attributes of a Pug (friendly, family oriented) without all the potential breathing problems - and the body of the beagle. They are also called mini boxers at times cause they look a lot like that as well.

Edited to say is it not a yip - but a little bark. Definelty not a howl or bray like a beagle.

Anne, how cute!!!

My pug barks like a much larger dog. We're not sure how this happened, other than living with cats!

Marie

He's very cute! My neighbor had a beagle and we used to call her the friendly neighborhood sea lion as she sounded like the sealions on Pier 39 in San Francisco when Bert would get home. Used to crack me up.

We have a Puglet - pug/fox terrier mix. Not sure how they came up with the name. I love Pugs and my little puglet. I have seen Puggles and they are cute.

Hey Lisa! I have a Puggle too and I LOVE HER! And she was VERY hard to housebreak, but now she is a wonderful dog. She is great with Ella, which was very important to me. My only complaint is she is VERY social. If we are in the other room and she can not get in, she will whine until she is let in with us. When we first got her, we kept her in the kitchen at night and a year later (I am not eggaterating...a year later) she was STILL whinning at night for hours because she wanted to be with us. We finally gave in and now she sleeps in the bed with us.

She loves to run (no breathing problems) but she does like to run away, which drives me crazy. We have to have a leash on her at all times. She chases rabbits and squirrels, just like a beagle. And her bark is not bad at all. It is not all beagle, but it is not really pug either. Maybe it depends on the puggle, what they get. I guess I would say she is more beagle bark, but no howl.

She is VERY high energy and nees a walk/run daily. If she doesn't get it, she runs laps in the house like a mad dog. Ella loves it when she does it because she thinks it is funny, but it always makes me feel bad that she has all this energy and I did not take her for a walk to get it out.

So, overall, LOVE HER, although she is stubborn and too social :)

Just make sure as with any breed if you are going to a breeder to go to a reputable breeder. One who has done pedigree research and health testing on not just sire and dam but entire pedigree. One who takes temperament into consideration before breeding, etc.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.