Providing care for a toddler with down syndrome

lulu68

Cathlete
I will be having an interview today to care for a toddler with down syndrome. It took me by surprise because it wasn't mention till the appointment was confirm, yesterday. I'm a little nervous as I have never cared for a child with special needs and have no special training. I have been a stay at home mom for over 24 years. I have been providing child care from my home for working parents for over 20 years. I keep low ratio, no more than 2 children at one time. The child is 20 months old and not crawling or walking. I'm feeling a little guilty as I'm having 2nd thoughts about this situation. Any child care provider in this forum ever worked with a child with down syndrome or any parents that has a child with down syndrome? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I don’t usually respond to posts here or any other forums but I felt the need to respond. My grand daughter has downs and is now 8 years old. She is the sweetest child. She did not walk till she was 2-2 1/2. She has challenges, speech is one but she was taught sign language for everyday needs and with speech therapy it is getting better. Potty training is still on going but is also much improved. You may have to care for this child like you would for a baby because cognetly they are still not 20 months, but other than that the care is the same unless they have other special needs. My grand daughter has been going to day care since she was 6 weeks old and she is cared for like any other child. She is now in 2nd grade and will always have challenges but with the support of family, school, friends and daycare she will be fine. You sound like a caring person and love what you do so you could be a wonderful asset in this child’s life. Don’t let the words Down syndrome scare you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.