Protein shakes. Meal replacement

PhyllisG

Cathlete
I am looking to replace lunch with a shake. Which one? I know Isogenix has been talked about here. I used Shakeology a few years back but it is very expensive. Any ideas or suggestions?
I thought Cathe might have talked about Isogenix but am not sure I remembered that or just made it up.
Thanks.

I have never tried those brands, but I do have a shake every day. I have tried a few different brands (Jay Robb, Onnit Hemp Force, Vega, Quest & MTS Machine Whey). I have a lot of different flavors so I don't get bored & some I use when baking. Vega was too "grassy" for my taste, but my husband loves it (with frozen fruit). Hemp Force was expensive so I mainly have been using MTS. It has a sweeter flavor so if you don't like sweet I would try another. I have a sweet tooth & it dissolves so easily that you don't need a blender which helps when bringing it to work. I usually just mix one scoop with unsweetened almond milk. When I want to feel like I'm "chewing" real food, sometimes I'll have protein cereal (just pour my usual shake over a serving of organic puffed kamut or rice cereal). When I use a cinnagram or apple pie flavor protein it kinda reminds me of my childhood applejacks cereal.

When I do use protein powder, I like Plant Fusion Vanilla Bean. It's a pea protein.

You can also make smoothies that are full of protein without using protein powder. It's pretty easy to do. This post (from Nia Shanks) describes the basic idea.

The more I am learning about loss weight medications like Suprenza, supplements, exercising etc. etc. the more I am hearing about protein shakes... they must be really amazing don't they?

Last edited:
I usually don't use protein powder but make smoothies or a green drink. When I bought 21 Day Fix they sent me a regular size bag of Shakeology. I liked it and used it as my lunch. Thought about doing it again as it so hot and a cold shake would be great. I have tried various powders and never found one I would stick to and buy again except maybe Shakeology and that is just so expensive. I thought I remembered Isogenix discussed here but it was a while ago.

To the OP, I do not have a particular brand to advise I am afraid. My number one protein source is Pea.
I do consume, on a cycle basis, whey and Casein protein too.

While we are on protein powder subject, I would like to share article below. I believe we can meet daily protein
allowance pre-preparing all meal in advance. Some of us are really busy and simply can not afford personal
chef, delivery meal and/or maid cleaner on daily/weekly basis while planning intense training program.

That said here are articles. Some do not touch "the thing", Good for them!!! Each their own choice!:):)

http://proteinpow.com/is-protein-powder-safe

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/nutrition/healthy-eating-tips/protein-myths-examined/

I received a few samples from Nutiva of their new Organic Plant Protein Superfood 30 shake. Yummy! 20 grams protein, 6 grams carbs, 120 calories with about 50% of the popular vitamins...organic, no dairy, no soy, non-GMO, no stevia....

I use Isagenix Isalean shakes. My favorite flavors are strawberry and vanilla. I usually add 1/2 frozen banana and 1 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk. My hubby loves the vanilla with almond milk and a bit of peanut butter. When I drink a shake for breakfast, I am satisfied for about 5 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your replies. I will check my local health food store for small packets of Nutiva. I know they don't sell Isagenix. Is that only available online? I am not a big protein powder user but recently tried a friends whey powder and liked it. Usually I would buy small packets of plant based powders. I want a meal replacement shake.
The whey powder tasted good...almond milk plus half a banana. That is what got me rethinking my feelings about protein powders.

I have tried Shakeology but found it too fruity. I have also tried the Vega One and it depends on the flavor, some are good, some not so good. Nutritionally they are sound but it came down to personal taste for me. Also, if you are not worried about the "purity" (for lack of better term) some people swear by Premier Protein. I have been drinking the chocolate shake w/ some iced coffee every morning and it is delicious and filling. I have never tried the Garden of Life brand but heard great things about them. Shakeology seems very expensive to me. I think you might be able to find something equally nutritious for a bit better price, perhaps?

Isalean is a meal replacement, therefore the calories are higher than just using protein powder and almond milk. I also use it after hard workouts, but I use only one scoop (instead of 2) and no extra fruit/add-ins. You can buy Isalean through Amazon, but price is a bit more. I'd recommend getting it through an associate who sells it. You can look for someone in your area, or I can help you out. I do not sell it regularly (I'm a teacher), but I am an associate (and get a discount when I buy anything from Isagenix). It's much like a club membership. If you pay a yearly fee, you get a discount plus you can sell it if you'd like. You can also purchase at a higher price without becoming an associate. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.