Protein Powder??

kblover

Cathlete
Can anyone recommend a good protein powder for women? I'm looking for something that is economical but still half way decent tasting (lol).

I can't use a blender right now due to the kitchen being under construction...meaning blender is lost (haha), so it would have to be something that I can mix in my shaker cup.

One more thing...when are you supposed to drink it - before or after a workout? Or does it even have to be during workout time? What I mean is if I workout in the morning, but drink it later in the afternoon (or vice versa) would that be ok?

Please let me know!

Thanks!!!
cheryl

I use Designer Whey by Next Protein. You can get it at GNC or any of the supplemental sites online. It comes in a bunch of different flavors though I also buy chocolate. It shakes up good in a shaker cup. I like it because it dissolves in water or milk with a shaker cup, tastes good and doesn't have that grainy, sandy texture. It's the best one I've used and I've used quite a few. The only other one that was ok for me was Optimum Nutrition, also in chocolate.

I use protein powder after lifting heavy weights to help with the muscle repair. But you can have protein shakes/smoothies anytime. They make a great afternoon snack or even for breakfast.

Tracy

Hi, I use this stuff from this website:

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Hemp-Protein-Unflavored-16-oz-454-g/15275?at=1

I don't know how it would be just shaken (I use a magic bullet), but this is the first completely unsweetened protein powder that I've found that I can actually mix with fruit (bananas) and almond milk that tastes good to me. It has a nutty flavor, IMO. I've read that hemp is a complete protein, and is less processed than whey, and is more easily digested.

Hope that helps!

i use designer whey also. ive only tried the chocolate flavor but i heard the others aren't bad. it tastes like a thick chocolate milk if you shake it up in the shaker cup. i used to only drink shakes when i had access to a blender because i found most of them to taste nasty but i actually look forward to drinking this one!! i usually drink one after a weight lifting workout for muscle recovery.

you can go on netrition.com and order the 2 or 5lb tub. it's cheaper on here than you would find at gnc and they have a flat shipping fee, so you can order all your supplemets at once. i love this site; it's cheap and if you order before noon, your package usually arrives the next day (no extra shipping fees have to be paid)!!

Thanks guys for the info and websites!!! the only protein powder I know of is the one my brother uses, but today it made me sick, so I want to try another. Also, it looks like you guys only use it on weight lifting days...is that the only time it should be used or can you use it (should you use it) on cardio days as well??

Hey Cheryl!

I've used Designer whey and it's good, right now I'm using the Costco 100% whey powder and I always use it with my magic bullet. I like the chocolate better than the vanilla, really good price. I always have my shake as post workout (cardio or weights) :D

i like bsn lean dessert chocolate after weights and sometimes use it as a quick meal on thursdays before i go dancing and eat popcorn.the cinnamon is good too

laura

I just bought BSN lean dessert in cin roll flavor, but something about the texture of it just doesn't sit well with me. So far i have just put it in a shaker and in some greek yogurt (bad idea btw, it almost made me throw up). Does anyone have any suggestions???? I dont want to have yet another container of protein collecting dust....

Thank Sandra!! As always, I appreaciate your input! :) I know someone in the family has a membership there...maybe I can try both...hmmmm...

Sorry fitnessluvr...I'm in the same searching boat as you, so no advice.

I really like Allmax's Isoflex chocolate whey protein isolate- I use it in smoothies (it's really amazing with flaxseed meal, raspberries, silken soy, fatfree cottage cheese and spinach). I don't really have recovery drinks or whatnot, because I eat 5 times a day, and my workouts fit between meals nicely, so I get the nutrients I need in my regular meals (I consider one of the smoothies I mentioned to be a meal).

Last edited:
I use Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein. I get it at GNC. The chocolate and banana cream are delicious. It mixes very well in shaker bottle with water or milk. I usually have one for breakfast with frozen berries or banana with skim milk. Or mixed with water for a snack meal.

Just a note on the BSN Lean Dessert protein powders- they are VERY good, BUT they gave me gas and bloating like you wouldn't believe. (even their Synta 6 brand did) Someone here (thanks again, btw!) reviewed the ingredients for me, and well, they have a lot of extra "stuff" in them. When I removed them (and Kashi Go Lean cereal) it really helped w/the gas and bloating (not totally, but I could tell a difference).

I switched to Jay Robb's whey protein powder and haven't had any side effects. I use the vanilla but have all three flavors. It has stevia in it, which has a different taste, not bad just different from the typical sweetners used in protein powders. All three flavors tend to taste the same to me, which is weird. I guess when you're trying to make it w/o too many unnatural ingredients, it's hard to get different flavors. Who knows... It is kinda pricey, but too me it's worth it.

http://www.jayrobb.com/cat_proteinWheyVan12.asp

I like Pure Advantage Pea Protein.

Not a huge flavor variety, but their stuff doesn't have a lot of extra crap in the ingredients either. The vanilla is mild tasting enough to make the shake whatever you'd like it to be, meaning it will mix well with the extras you like to add.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.