Protein Powder:to use or not to use???

protein powder

I like Gold Standard 100% Whey, Double Rich Chocolate; I think it's the best flavor and I put it in skim milk, most people just use water. I like it before an am workout a few days a week. Once I had an afternoon workout and I was really tired and felt a bit weak, and had this product and felt it really helped.
I bought the large tub from amazon, here's the link if your interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutri...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1263694800&sr=8-1
Autumn

I use GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey...the Banana Cream flavor is really good. I don't know if it's "helped," but I know that I don't consume nearly enough protein in my diet so it's an easy fix.

Gotta admit,I used it and would only use the den-natured purest whey - like Beyond Whey or Biochem...but truthfully,the bodybuilders kind of filled people with hype- and it adds calories to your diet,and its not regulated -if melamine was found in formula, I can't imagine what's in these powders that could be a contaminent -obviously not anything overt or people would be sick...but its a processed powder - and personally,unless you're sick with some wasting disease, I think its unnecessary...

... truthfully,the bodybuilders kind of filled people with hype- and it adds calories to your diet... its a processed powder - and personally,unless you're sick with some wasting disease, I think its unnecessary...
I agree about the whole protein powder/protein bar thing being hype to sell products. What ends up happening is that you can often take in an excess of protein (the human body can only process about 20-25 grams at a time--perhaps higher amounts for bigger folks, like huge male bodybuilders), and that excess can stress the kidneys, and end up excreted through the urine (so you're basically making expensive pee!)

What builds muscle is working out with increasing resistance, consuming a bit of a calorie surplus (some say "if you want to get big, eat big"---and the extra calories you eat will automatically add extra protein to your diet if you are eating a balanced diet), making sure to have sufficient nutrients in the diet--including protein, and getting the amount of recovery you need.

IMO, there's no need to get extra protein from processed/isolated protein powders. The animal-derived ones are acidifying to the body. The soy ones are usually made from GMO soy processed with hexane (a solvent).

The only added protein product I would recommend on a regular basis is hemp (either whole hemp, or hemp protein powder, which is not as processed as other protein powders, contains two excellent types of proteins that the body assimilates well, as is raw---studies have shown that heat-treated proteins are 50% less assimilable than raw proteins. The heat makes them coagulate, somewhat like what heating does to egg whites, making them harder for the body to process).

HTH!

Hi Kathryn, what do you think of the Jay Robb whey powder? Is it as natural as they claim? I'm drinking it as I type, there is something in the taste I'm not liking all that much though, it's to me tasting a little soapy. At first I thought it was left over soap in the blender, but this is the third one with the same after taste.

I'm not sure if the protein powders work for me, but they do help me replace snacks with a lower calorie more filling alternative. I find smoothies without the protein do not fill me up as much.

Hi Kathryn, what do you think of the Jay Robb whey powder? Is it as natural as they claim? I'm drinking it as I type, there is something in the taste I'm not liking all that much though, it's to me tasting a little soapy. At first I thought it was left over soap in the blender, but this is the third one with the same after taste.

As a vegan, I don't recommend any animal-protein-based products (but as an animal-based protein, it would tend to be acidifying).;)

I'm not sure if the protein powders work for me, but they do help me replace snacks with a lower calorie more filling alternative. I find smoothies without the protein do not fill me up as much.

Not Kathryn, but I've been using this product this month and I'm not caring for it too much. It's been giving me awful gas and bloating. could be just me...but I don't have time to not feeling good.

Not Kathryn, but I've been using this product this month and I'm not caring for it too much. It's been giving me awful gas and bloating. could be just me...but I don't have time to not feeling good.

Thanks, the more input the better! It certainly has way less ingredients than my other brands, but I don't think I can get past the funny taste. I have a packet of the chocolate to try, maybe that will disguise the soapy taste, we'll see.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.