Protein Over 40?

Abveyera

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, Staff and Fellow Forum Members:

I’ve read conflicting recommendations on protein requirements. Vegans (for the most part) say it’s not important; keto advocates say it’s the most important; heavy lifters say massive amounts of it is the only way to build muscle.

I read an older article in the Cathe articles and found this:
How much protein do you need in your diet to promote muscle growth? Currently, the recommendations for healthy adults are 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. This is based on the quantity needed to keep an average, healthy person in “positive nitrogen balance.” If you’re physically active and do endurance or resistance exercise, you need more than this amount to repair muscle damage and to supply amino acids for muscle growth. Depending upon how much time you spend working out and the intensity of your workouts, between 1.2 to 1.6 grams per kilogram of body weight is adequate for most physically active people, although some sources recommend protein intake as high as 2.0 grams per kilogram. Unless you’re a heavy-duty bodybuilder, 2.0 grams per kilogram is probably overkill. When you consume this much protein, you’re leaving less room in your diet for the other macronutrients – fat and carbohydrates. The key is balance.

This seems sensible and it’s how I’ve structured my macros (along with the other recommendations in the article https://cathe.com/the-role-each-macronutrient-plays-in-muscle-growth/).

HOWEVER... More than a few sources I’ve read have stated that over 40 your body becomes resistant to protein — and muscle building in general — so people over 40 need more protein (about .1 grams extra per pound, if I remember correctly). Is this true? If so, what range do you recommend for protein intake per pound of body weight (not lean body mass — I can’t ever figure out that formula!). Or, to put it more simply, what macro target percentages should women over 40 aim for? Should an uptick in protein be part of the percentage?

Thanks in advance!

Anita

I don't know if the body becomes more resistant to protein but I know it can become insulin resistant around this age and you need to reduce carbs and usually increase exercise, especially if you haven't been exercising regularly. Increasing protein goes hand in hand with reducing carb intake and increasing exercise. I am 47 now and have increased my protein intake for the last 4-5 years due to decreasing carb intake and increasing exercise, especially heavy weight lifting. I don't use any numerical calculations for how much I should be eating of each macro nutrient, I listen to my body.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.