Protein/Filling Foods for Kids

ricklyk1

Cathlete
Hi Cathletes!

My 4 1/2 year old nephew is going through a phase where he wants to eat all the time (he recently came off a phase where he never wanted eat). Currently all he wants to eat is carbs - bread, rolls, FRUIT (and more fruit), graham crackers, cereal, etc. My sister can't seem to keep the poor growing boy full and he is constantly crying that he is hungry. My sister and I are trying to brainstorm kid friendly healthy eats that will fill him up. We both agree the boy needs more protein! Sadly he won't touch vegetables yet, but i'm hoping to change that real soon. Having no children myself, i'm not the best at judging kid friendly food. So, any thoughts and/or input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!!!

How about Kefir? It's a yogurt drink. They sell it at Trader Joe's. They have blueberry, strawberry, raspberry. My girls love it...they're 3.5 and 1 year old. It's quick, easy, healthy, and has a lot of protein.

Does he like any of milk, peanut butter, cheese, hard boiled eggs or beans (chickpeas, kidney beans, baked beans, etc)? These have been protein staples for my 8-year-old daughter for several years now. She also used to eat a lot of macaroni & cheese although she's off that right now. She does not like the texture of meat or chicken, and will tolerate the occasional fish but not that often.

Aside from protein, your nephew may also be hungry because he's not eating enough fat. He doesn't need much, but the same as for us, it's important for him to get some. Peanut butter, cheese and eggs are great for that. He might also be interested in dipping his rolls in olive oil.

Stebby

Clif makes bars and snacks for kids now. All natural, a little protein in there, whole grains. I noticed last time i went shopping that Chobani has a greek yogurt geared towards kids now too- Chobani Champions i think it was called?

Can you say 'growth spurt' in the making?? My 8 yo DS son has gone through this a LOT. A protein & carb snack works wonders... whole grain crackers & cheese is a fav, quesadillas, corn dogs, burgers, etc.. My DS is deathly allergic to PB, fish & shellfish so those are a no-go. Bedtime snack is popcorn and/or fruit/veggies & low-fat cheese.

I swear, it seems like he grows like an inch or two overnight after a few days of growth-spurt eating... then he goes back to a more normal eating mode.

Not sure if your nephew experiences this, but my son is ultra cranky, achy & needs extra sleep during this time. He can actually feel is body growing. Last summer, he grew a full four inches. His dad is tall 6'3 and I'm 5'0 so he's gonna stretch up I'm sure!

Good luck to your sis!

Pam

I would also make sure he's getting enough healthy fat to help him stay satisfied and the fat is great for little brains in the making.

Thank you all soooo much for all these fabulous ideas!!! I'm emailing my sis a link to the thread right now. I know she is very appreciative as well.

I completely agree that my nephew is probably going through a major growth spurt. He's already tall for his age and I bet in a few years he is going to tower over the rest of us (my family tends to be vertically challenged - myself included).

I think i'm going to try the Kefir and fruit smoothie w/ protein powder ideas myself. :)

:D:eek:Hi again, Katie & sis!

It seems like funny timing... just as we were chatting about growth spurth eating, it's baaaaaackkkkk!!! :eek: Seriously.... why can't WE get away with this when we are working out a bunch??!:p Although, I gotta say-- the cranky-fest I could do without! Ugh!

My side of the family is totally vertically challenged as well- on both sides!! My ex-husband's family are all sooo tall! Humph!! Well, time for dinner #2 (for him)!! LOL!!

Just think- some day we'll be reaching UP to our kiddos to hug them... but never let them forget.... WE are still in charge and the Alphas!!

Hugs,

Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.