Pregnancy modifications

erinw

Cathlete
I asked this question on the Ask Cathe forum, but have yet to get a response from Cathe. So, I thought I would ask it here and see what my experienced friends would have to say.

I am about 16 weeks pregnant, and know that I should not do abdominal exercises lying supine on the floor anymore. I've been attempting to modify your (Cathe's) ab routines by lying on my step in an incline position. But there are two exercises that I can't seem to figure out a modification for and safely do on an incline: the bicycle, and reverse curl. What do you recommend?

Mostly I use a stability ball to do crunches. I did traditional crunches on an incline step bench up until a few weeks ago (I'm 29 weeks now). When it got uncomfortable I stopped and just use the ball now, no bench. Also on the ball I incorporated wood chops with a 10lb weight for a while.

I did reverse curls on the incline bench, too, but after awhile it felt uncomfortable (like it wasn't safe) and it bothered my back so I stopped. Then I would sit and hold the stability ball and do alternating toe taps with it.

For obliques, I sit with the ball in hands and rotate side to side. Also, I've been able to lean on the ball for side lying oblique lifts. I even have done side lying lifts on the floor with legs lifted. I also sat on the ball with a 10lb weight and did side to side wood chops (horizontal wood chops).

I'm starting to do abs on all fours now as my belly is just getting that big now! I did bicycle in the first trimester but that's it.
Hope this is helpful, Diana

>Mostly I use a stability ball to do crunches. I did
>traditional crunches on an incline step bench up until a few
>weeks ago (I'm 29 weeks now). When it got uncomfortable I
>stopped and just use the ball now, no bench. Also on the ball
>I incorporated wood chops with a 10lb weight for a while.
>
>I did reverse curls on the incline bench, too, but after
>awhile it felt uncomfortable (like it wasn't safe) and it
>bothered my back so I stopped. Then I would sit and hold the
>stability ball and do alternating toe taps with it.
>
>For obliques, I sit with the ball in hands and rotate side to
>side. Also, I've been able to lean on the ball for side lying
>oblique lifts. I even have done side lying lifts on the floor
>with legs lifted. I also sat on the ball with a 10lb weight
>and did side to side wood chops (horizontal wood chops).
>
>I'm starting to do abs on all fours now as my belly is just
>getting that big now! I did bicycle in the first trimester but
>that's it.
>Hope this is helpful, Diana

This is very helpful, Diana. I appreciate it very much. The only one I didn't quite understand (I'm a visual lady!) was the modification you do for reverse curls. Do you mean you sit on the stability ball and hold a medicine ball and do toe taps? Do you have a book that you got these modifications out of?

Hi again - I sit on the floor with the stability ball in hands, knees bent and do alternating toe taps up to the ball. Cathe does do this move but I can't think what workout it's in (possibly PUB? I wish I could remember for you.). I can't say it works the lower abs very hard and it does incorporate the hip flexor as well as shoulders (as you hold the ball) but I wanted to something for that area! If you lean back on a slight angle it engages the ab muscle even more.

I've been a certified group fitness instructor for 10 years so modifying exercises comes pretty easily to me. Most of these are exercises that Cathe does do in her workouts and I just cherry-picked and did as the weeks progressed if it felt comfortable.
Diana

Thanks so much for the clarification, Diana. I appreciate it. Would you mind also giving me more clarification on the oblique exercises you mentioned, particularly the side lying one you do on the floor and the diagonal wood chop on the ball? Thanks!

And if I didn't say it last time, congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

I don't mind clarifying. The side lying exercise is simply lying on one side with hips/legs stacked, top hand behind head, bottom hand crossing in front of belly and resting on the top side, lift upper torso off the floor. You can leave the legs on the floor or lift them in the air slightly as you lift the torso to provide a little extra crunch to the oblique. I've seen this in one of the ab sections from the S&H series and also in another workout but can't remember which one. Another version I did was in one of her new workouts (possibly LIC??!!) where you bend the bottom leg slightly and lift the top leg as you lift the torso. This exercise was ok for awhile but it's too uncomfortable now as my belly is too big. Perhaps a pillow under the belly to support would help but I haven't tried that. The side to side wood chops I know is done in PUB: sit on the stability ball, hold a med ball or hand weight and rotate side to side. That one is still comfortable for me to do (when I feel up to doing it!).

I hope this provides a better visual for you. Thanks and congrats on your pregnancy as well!
Diana

Thanks again, Diana. I am now clear on what you mean. I will try those out soon. By the way, I did the other exercises you mentioned this morning. I have always loved the wood chop while seated on the stability ball, and the side lying lift on the ball, but I had never done the lower ab exercise you described. I really liked that one! Thanks for the tips. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.