Pregnancy Modifications

erinw

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I know you have a pregnancy forum, but I hope it's all right that I posted these questions here. I was hoping to get your personal answer to these.

I am about 16 weeks pregnant, and know that I should not do abdominal exercises lying supine on the floor anymore. I've been attempting to modify your ab routines by lying on my step in an incline position. But there are two exercises that I can't seem to figure out a modification for and safely do on an incline: the bicycle, and reverse curl. What do you recommend?

Also, I did buy that book you recommended, Fit to Deliver. I have been trying to utilize the abdominal exercises they demonstrate. I find it hard to use a book, rather than a video. I am such a visual person, I guess. (For instance, I rarely use my Shape workouts that I cut out from the magazines anymore because I find it time consuming to read the instructions, and puzzle through whether I am doing them right or not. I prefer to use workout tapes/DVDs.) Do you have any particular exercises that you used during your pregnancies to keep your abdominal muscles toned, but still be safe for the baby? Do you have any favorite workout videos for pregnancy? I'd love to know your input. This is my second baby, and I remember during labor, my doctor complimented me on my tight abs, and I want to get that compliment again! :)

Thanks so much,
Erin

I'm still hoping to get a reply to my question, Cathe. So please forgive me for topping this once again. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.