Pregnancy after Lasik

kellyeli

Hi Cathe!

Congrats on your beautiful baby boy! Aren't they just more precious than you ever could imagine? Hope you all are doing well. On to my question! I had lasik surgery last summer and love the results and am trying to convince my sister-in-law that she should do it as well. She's very interested, but is trying to get pregnant with # 2 right now so she'll have to wait. I hear they recommend that you don't get pregnant for 6 months after the procedure and wait at least that long after having the baby as well. My question to you is, having had the procedure, did you encounter any problems with your eyes while pregnant. It's known that the eyes can change shape whil pregnant and some women can't wear their contacts while pregnant (didn't happen to me with my two, or my sister-in-law with # 1). Just curious and wanted to give her some first hand info, since I don't PLAN on having any more. Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject!

Elizabeth Kelly
happy.gif

Can't answer your question, but-

I would love to ask you one. I have thought about this, but haven't quite made up my mind. I am a bit queasy about eye surgery. Is it scary? I have a hard time even looking at pictures of this kind of thing, but that's normal, right? They expect that, and prep you accordingly, right? Did it seem really freaky while they did it? Could you see out of your eye during the operation? Sorry to ask so many stupid questions, but it is really easy to find out the answers to the more important questions , like Dr.s competence levels (where they keep actual statistics), but emotions and impressions are so much harder to research. Anyway, my optometrist had it done, and is recommending it to me. He is just thrilled with the results. BLinda

My experience with Lasik

I second your optometrist, I love being able to see! Although my eyes weren't as bad as some who've had the procedure, ( only a 1.75 script on my contacts) not being able to see clearly is a pain. There's really no grey area, you can either see clearly or you can't. The doctor I went to for the procedure offered a free consultation, in which they show you a video about the procedure itself, and what and what not to expect re the outcome. I have to say that these things are slightly on the negative side, they have to cover themselves for liability reasons I'm sure, but everyone that I know that has had it done has had excellent results. About the procedure itself, yes I could see things while they were doing it, you have to look at a light while they use the laser on your eye, but don't worry about not being able to hold your eye still. I'd go into more details, but I'd hate to gross you out. I'm the type of person who finds it very helpful to know exactely what is happening and why as my personal coping mechanism. Kind of like when Cathe says, "just 8 more", you know there's an end in sight! You should consider going in for a free consult, there shouldn't be any obligation and they will answer any questions you have regarding your specific case. The one thing about the actual procedure that really stood out for me was how quick it was. I had both eyes done at the same time (well, the same session, they do one then the other, not simultaneously) and I was in the treatment room less than 5 minutes! Ok, I'll stop gushing now, I just really think this technology is a miracle.

Elizabeth Kelly
happy.gif

Wow- Thanks!

It does sound great. Now I need to put aside the money and get over my squeamishness at the same teme. I did get over putting my fingers in my eyes with contacts, so I am certain I can get over this. Especially for a great outcome!! I figure if my optometrist trusts this Dr. he should be pretty good. I suppose in my case even if I just went to a weak perscription that wooould be pretty good for me. Thanks. BLinda

Mandy Lee

Hi!
I had Lasik surgery last July and now I'm pregnant. Actually I got pregnant in October. I don't remember them saying to not get pregnant for 6 months. They only told me not to rub my eyes for 6 months. You can rub your temples which have the same nerve endings. I have 20/20 vision now. I don't see any problems so far. My last doctor visit in December seemed to show that my eyes are fine.
The procedure went fast. They sit you back in a dentist like chair and count you down 10 seconds for each eye. I didn't feel any pain. You don't feel any pain when they do the lasik either. I only saw black with a little bit of rainbow. My recovery was slower because I overdid it on the pain killers and they made me feel sick to my stomach. It really is an amazing procedure. I even persuaded my aunt to do it. But really it was Cathe Friedrich that inspired me!d

Glad you mentioned that.

I am really big on rubbing my eyes. I think I will have to practice now. And definitely wait till I am through breastfeeding, even though it has been 11 months. Today my son crawled up me and whacked me really hard in the nose with his head. And he likes to play with my eyes while eating.
Now I guess it's time to go search for Cathes lasik threads.

didn't even know

I didn't know cathe had LASIK done. When was this? Obviously all went well. Cathe, if you're around, could you let me know how you went about deciding to go for it. I have been quite hesitant (waiting for a "risk-free" procedure. Ha-ha).
Anyway, I was curious, having missed this discussion the first time around.
Hope all is going well with the bambino!
Michele

Lasik questions

I can't say that I experienced any unusual problems with my eyes during pregnancy. The only major thing that I noticed was very dry eyes. But that does not have to be due to pregnancy since this is also a side affect of the surgery regardless if you are pregnant or not. Also, since the first part of my pregnacy was during allergy season and the end was during the dry cold weather, I was already prone to dry itchy eyes.

The only thing that occured that was a little off beat was that twice toward the end of my pregnancy I would see these strange spots(similar to the spots you see right after your picture is taken with a flash). It would randomly happen on any given day and then last on and off for that day. I occasionally had slightly blurred vision right after rubbing my eyes. That blurriness would, again, last on and off for the rest off that particular day. Oh yes, I almost forgot, I had extreme light sensitivity which is now still present but mostly during the night.

More on lasik

Hi Michele! I had lasik done about 2 years ago. I had 20/400 vision and now am 20/20. One eye is actually better than that(20/15). I was so afraid to have this surgery done. I always had it in the back of my mind to have this done, oh atleast for the last 10 years, but wanted to wait until technology improved and practice became perfect. Having 20/400 vision is classified as legally blind. I couldn't see anything clearly after it left the range of 6 inches away from my eyes. Glasses and contact lenses were a HUGE investment in my life. There was no option around them until this surgery. I kind of forgot about it over the last few years and one day, I was getting eye infection after eye infection. I came to the conclusion that it was because I always had my fingers in my eyes(rubbing my contact around due to dryness). I especially got infections when I started teaching indoor cycling because I would have my hands on those sweaty handle bars that everybody touched and (not even thinking), quickly stuck my finger in my eyes and rubbed my contact around in order to relieve the dryness that occured when I worked out.

Well, in any case, I decided to see my eye doctor concerning all of my eye infections, and he suggested lasik surgery. That way I would no longer put my finger in my eyes to move my contact around. After some research on the surgery and the doctor performing it, I decided to go for it. I had a very successful and painless surgery and best of all, no more eye infections. Equally best of all, no more contact lenses, glasses and the cleaning and caring for both. Its a maintenance free lifestyle now!

lasik surgery

The details: I'm not sure if the procedure is exactly the same for everyone but I will share my experience. I will try to stay as brief as possible. I'm the type of person who really does not handle pain well(however I amazed myself with the birth of our baby)and gets all sweaty and fidgity as the seconds to the surgery approach. I was clearly nervous, especially after having to sign and physically write out a sentence stating that I understand the risks, etc. Then they showed me the room where they were going to do everything. They assured me of how many times they check, and recheck the equipment for problems, plus how the staff checks and rechecks one another for their roles in the procedure. This doctor had near perfect record for giving everyone 20/20. His worst case was only 20/30. They put numbing drops in my eyes and started the procedure. They put me in a dentist type chair and in a decline position. That felt weird. Then they put a neck brace on me and secured my head with materials. Ok, now I'm really scared and feeling "tied" down. I start to hyperventilate and they stop everything until I regain my composure. They are very reassuring and then continue. They did one eye at a time. The eye that is going first is taped up. The top eye lashes are taped out of the way and a eye cup type disk is put in your eye to keep you from blinking. That was the only thing that was uncomfortable. NOT PAINFUL, just uncomfortable(the only thing I can relate that discomfort to is when you have to get your teeth x-rayed at the dentist and they put that akward plastic thing in your cheek and tell you to bite down). Then they stick an instrument on your eye that actually vacuumes your eye up in the air so that it is perfectly still for the laser. They tell you step by step what they are doing and, trust me, it sounds worse than it feels. By the way, I would never have this done if I would have watched one first. Ok at some point they need to (sorry, no nice way to put this)slice the first five layers of your eye three quarters of the way around to create a flap. DON'T WORRY, you don't feel this. The room goes black at some point in that one eye(yes, I panicked thinking I was the one case that went wrong)but that is supposed to happen. Then they apply the laser and do a countdown of laser application. I think mine was 40 seconds for one eye (and 25 seconds on the second eye). After that they put a refreshing cool liquid on your eye and prepare the next eye for treatment. After both eyes are done, you sit up and are fine. I had very blood shot eyes for about 5 hours and extreme light sensitivity following the surgery, Also my vision was foggy. I could see clearly, meaning not blurred, but it looked like I was peeking through a foggy lense. This all cleared up by 5 hours. Amazingly, by the next day, there was no sign of bloodshot in my eyes at all. I felt like I could actually go right back to work however, they encourage you not to. Just lay low and don't even read or watch tv. Let your eyes relax and recover. After 3 days they said I could do everything as usual. It is amazing how such a short procedure in which you are in and out of the office(included paper signing, surgery, and waiting in a chair for 10 minutes post surgery)in less than an hour, can change your life in such a positive way forever.

I was 20/400(legally blind)in both eyes prior to surgery and then 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other after surgery. So it was obviously a success.

After surgery, they said I would possibly see a glare against bright lights for up to 6 months(which I did). The strongest glare was in the first two weeks and then improved dramatically.

Let me know what you decide! I say go for it!

PS. The hardest habit to break after surgery was reaching for my glasses first thing in the morning to see what time it was.

One more question...

This thread has made me think about this surgery again! I put it out of my mind because I was too scared to go through with it, but the results seem SO appealing that maybe I should think about it again.

My question is: Does anyone know approximately how much the operation costs? It is generally covered by insurance?

Thanks!
Laura

Cost

Take a deep breath....it costs about $4500 to $5500. Mine was $5500 and my insurance would not cover it. You may find an insurance company that will cover 20 to 30 percent but be prepared to "fight" for it.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing not only your experience and costs of the procedure, but also the prescription of your contacts prior to surgery. Mine is a touch worse at 20/500, I can't even remember what it's like to see without contacts, and glasses make me dizzy due to the curvature of the lens-which makes me nervous as I am always examining little kids with pink-eye/conjunctivitis-there'd be no driving for me until I could wear my contacts again. Now at least I know it's an option for those of us who are blind as bats!
julie

Cost and insurance coverage

Hi Laura!

I've been thinking about having this surgery done for a long time so I'm somewhat familiar with these two issues.

As far as cost of the surgery, it will vary quite a bit depending on where you are located and the doctor performing the surgery (each doctor charges a different fee to some extent). For example, where I live it's around $3500 - $4000 for both eyes, however, friends in other cities/states have paid over $5000.

And as for insurance coverage you may want to check with your insurance coverage since this too can vary quite a bit. Another example: my insurance company won't cover any of it since it's considered "elective" surgery (I'll bet the people who wrote these policies didn't wear glasses or contacts
happy.gif
). However, a friend of mine in Atlanta had it done and her insurance company paid every penny.....yes, you read correctly - she didn't pay anything!! Talk about great coverage!

Sorry I can't tell you anything more definite than this but as you can see it's hard to determine the total costs from afar. Good luck in whatever your decision is!

Bev K. (who would also LOVE to ditch these contacts!)

LOL! Cathe, we must have posted at the same time

Hi! That's right, I almost forgot, this is really "morning" to you right now isn't it??!!

Just kidding! Hope little Eric gets his night-owl ways out of the way soon so you can go back to sleeping regular hours.
happy.gif

Bev K.

Hi Bev!

Your funny! Yes, my little fuss pot is sitting here with me right now making little faces at me. Its hard to concentrate with such a "handsome young devil" distracting me, hee hee. Well, nice talking to you!

Lasik & pregnancy

Thanks Cathe for the answers re your experience. I'm sure there are about a thousand things the doctors would say are possible in this type of situation, but it's nice to hear someone with actual experience. I guess the biggest fear would be that after getting the surgery done (and paying all that money for it, mine cost $3000), your vision might not be as good after pregnancy. Although I would think that any changes in your eyes due to pregnancy would have a good chance of reverting afterwards, no? Ok, enough specualtion. I, too, have occasional dry eyes. This condition is usual right after the surgery (gotta love those little tubes of saline solution) and diminishes as time goes by. I only use the drops very occasionally, maybe once a month, and usually late at night. I haven't personally noticed any glare at night, nor do I have any light sensitivity, although I had a lot of sensitivity when I wore contacts. I guess everyone's experience will vary, though I am happy to hear about the good reports re their outcomes. Hope everyone who makes the decision to have this done has as good an experience as I did. Just remember the outcome will be worth everything that needs to be done.

Elizabeth Kelly
happy.gif

Thanks for the vivid description!

I am so glad to hear what happens during the surgery. I knew they would have all sorts of ways of keeping ones eye still during the operation. I knew I couldn't be the only person squeamish about that! I am so happy to hear all of you say how great the operation is. And how it can fix those of us who really would be in trouble if we lost a contact or our glasses broke. I would certainly be lost.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.