pre-workout morning meal

ASand

Cathlete
I get up at 5 to workout, right now I'm doing STS. I don't eat anything first because I workout right away, just have a glass of milk. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quick meal that won't interfere with my workout, I don't want to get up any earlier to eat and wait 30 minutes.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I get up at 4 am and there is no way I'm getting up any earlier to eat either! I always have an apple and some peanut butter, that seems to work best for me. Good luck!

I get up at 5 to workout, right now I'm doing STS. I don't eat anything first because I workout right away, just have a glass of milk. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quick meal that won't interfere with my workout, I don't want to get up any earlier to eat and wait 30 minutes.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I wake up early to exercise and literally just jump right into it (after getting my workout clothes on, of course!). :p There are a few days where I will take a small bite of plain bread, a small handful of cereal, or even a tiny bite of a homemade cookie if I'm feeling extra groggy and like I need a pre-workout buzz, but most of the time I don't eat anything beforehand.

I've read about others on the forum who will have a half banana or something similar. Something light that won't weigh you down. Personally, I think a glass of milk would make me sick, but to each her own! That's beside the point. The real issue is, are you having trouble with your current approach, where you are just having a glass of milk (like feeling lightheaded or getting fatigued during your workout)? If not, my two cents is that you don't need to change anything about your pre-workout fuel since you workout so early in the morning. If you worked out later in the day, it would be a different story.

Also want to add that post-exercise nutrition is super important, no matter what time of day you workout. Cathe's newsletters have had some good articles on what and when to eat after a workout. Here are links to a couple of the articles. HTH!

4 Things You Need for Successful Exercise Recovery
4 Reasons Why Post Exercise Nutrition is Important

Lisa

Thanks Lisa! I always have a protein shake with some fruit afterwards just wondering if I should be doing something different before. I'm usually okay; sometimes I feel like I may have a little more energy if I ate. Thanks for the links and your suggestions!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.