Pre-employment testing

melrose

Cathlete
Okay, please talk me down, guys, because I am so nervous. . .

I've been at the same job for 23 years, but recently started applying other places. I work for a newspaper and they've had wave after wave of layoffs. Now I hear they may get rid of my whole department, and I'm not even sure this paper will continue to exist in print form for too many more years.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from a place I REALLY want to work. I'm supposed to go tomorrow for pre-employment testing. I applied for administrative assistant jobs there. I've done all that stuff where I am now, and am not worried about typing tests, multi-tasking tests, spelling, grammar, nor basic math tests.

However, I'm scared to death they're going to test me on Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. I used to be quite advanced in Word, but for many years now my company has written their own software programs, tailored for our needs. I haven't used Word in many years, and had only dabbled a tiny bit in Excel and Powerpoint.

I've been up since 3 a.m. - too nervous to sleep. I'm practicing on the computer, but I'm afraid I'll forget it all tomorrow.

Has anyone taken these kinds of tests recently? Any info at all would be much appreciated!

As one who has a job interview today, and hopefully some pre-employment testing, I feel your pain. I'm a little rusty on some of the MS applications, too, as we use our own software where I'm at. Just remember, they are fairly easy programs to navigate and haven't changed much. Most of it makes sense, too, when you think of which buttons your clicking to do whatever it is you're trying to do. It'll come back and you'll be ok. GOOD LUCK!!!

Nan

I agree with Nan. The programs are easy to navigate and have not changed that much over the years. If anything, they have gotten more user friendly over time. I have been using all three since 1994. I believe you will do fine! No worries! Good luck and let us know what turns out. :)

When I am asked questions regarding software programs that I am not experienced with, I usually tell them that I am familiar with the program but haven't used them recently or haven't had the reason to use them at my current job. I express to them that I am a quick learner and am willing learn or to take a class at my expense. This has worked really well for me and I have found if you have other qualifications that they are looking for, they will train you.

Good Luck today!!

I'm sure you'll be fine. As marnold said, the programs haven't changed much. And just remember your good friend, the "undo" button! }( Good luck!

I'm back from testing. I passed 6 tests, including advanced Word - woo-hoo! I did great on the first 5 tests, and, for all I know, may have only answered 51 percent of the Word stuff correctly, but that's all it took. Thanks for all the info and encouragement. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because the HR person I spoke to after testing told me this organization receives over 700,000 applications per year - that should tell you how great this place would be to work for!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.