Pre and post workout nutrition

Yvanna

Cathlete
Hi everyone - I am new to the forum - and new to Cathe.

I am just getting back into exercising - with my goals of losing the last 10 lbs - as well as toning up - and gaining some strength.

My question is:

What and how long before your cardio workout do you eat?

What and how long before your strength workout do you you eat?

Thanks in advance for your help - Looking forward to the forum discussions.

Hi Yvanna! Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get advice.
For me, I like to eat a banana about 15-20 minutes before a workout(both cardio and sometimes strength). I used to eat some yogurt but in my personal training manual it was stated that a banana is the best pre-workout snack. I'm assuming that it is because it's full of carbs so it gives you an extra energy boost. And I actually have found I have more energy throughout my workout with this snack. Sometimes I'll even eat half before the workout and the other half somewhere during the workout for a quick boost if I'm feeling a little weak.

I would be careful though, because eating too close to a workout(before) may make some people feel sick. Although there are some people on this forum who eat a full breakfast and then workout right away and feel great.
I've read(and heard from other trainers) that after a workout, you need to replenish your protein within a half hour or so. So after my workout, I grab a soy yogurt.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents but I'm sure you'll get way more advice from the other ladies!:)
carolyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.