Postpartum cholesterol levels

megs

Cathlete
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this or can offer any advice. I am eight weeks postpartum and have just had a routine fasting blood test as part of my postpartum check up. My cholesterol level is high (and so is my blood pressure). My doctor has given me nutritional advice now on how to deal with this and I am getting checked again in 8 weeks time. My doctor did mention though that these high levels may be a result of my recent pregnancy but did not elaborate. I am careful with what I eat (but do enjoy my chocolate a little too much) and I exercise daily - usually a video but at the very least a walk. Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Meg

Hi -

I'm suppose to have both my cholesterol and my thyroid checked routinely due to family history. I got pregnant with my son when I was 28. Five months after giving birth (still breastfeeding), I asked my family practicioner about the tests. He said since it hadn't been that long since I'd given birth and since I was breastfeeding, it would be a waste of time. I wasn't sure what to think. Two weeks later I had my annual with my OB and made the same request. I was told the same thing, but she clarified. She said that pregnancy and breastfeeding throw your hormones out of wack for quite a while and that normally cholesterol test come back high and thyroid test can come back either way. She told me to wait a few months after I quit breastfeeding to have both tests.

I wouldn't stress - just try to stay healthy.

shellnc

Thanks for explaining this (it makes sense attributing this to the hormones - which are certainly all over the place at the moment). Thanks too for your advice which also makes a lot of sense. I am hoping that I will be able to breastfeed for 6 months - so I'll discuss with my doctor about maybe waiting until 8 weeks after finishing breastfeeding to get a more accurate reading of my cholesterol levels.

Meg

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.