Post Partum Check Oct. 8th

Chrissysu

Cathlete
Hey, ladies,

I decided to start the post this week - hope that's ok . . .

I was able to get 2 walks in last week even with the mastitis, so I'd say that was good. I really needed to rest. DH was very sweet this morning and took Ella around 7 am to allow me to sleep from 5 am to 9 am. So since Ella went to sleep around 11 pm, woke to feed at 3 am and woke to feed at 5 am, I'd say I ended up with about 8 hours of sleep - not uninterrupted, but it still felt good.

How's everyone else doing?

Chrissy

Good Morning Mom's!

How are all our sweet little ones doing?:) Rylan is doing good but I don't know what is up with his sleeping. He use to go to bed at 7:30 and wake around 6-7 in the morning. The past couple of weeks he as been waking in the middle of the night. Some nights i will rock him back to sleep and other nights I will have to put him in bed with us. I don't see any teeth comming but something muct be bothering him. That, or he likes sleeping with mommy? That could be a possibility. Trust me, Ive been through it before and its not something I want to start again. Hopefully its teeth and he will be out of it soon!

My workouts are still going good and the inches and lbs are still comming off. I am now 124 lbs...6 lbs less then my pre preg weight. Im very happy with this. Its nice to be able to wear anything in my closet. I took a pile of stuff out yesterday that doesn't fit me anymore and Im gonna try to sell it on ebay.

Sun- 60 mins run
Mon- 75 mins run
Tues- BM + PH UB
Wed- 75 Mins run
Thurs- 10 mile run
Fri- Viper
Sat- HC Extreme dvd (interval workout) + 4 seg DM.

Count down is on. Only 4 weeks before I have to go back to work!!!

Lori

:)

Hi Gals!
Chrissy, thanks for starting the thread and good job on your walks! It's so tough to do workouts when you aren't feeling 100% so I applaud you!! That's also great your DH helped you out so you could get some extra sleep, it really does make such a difference.

Lori, as usual, amazing workouts and congratulations on all of your weight loss success!! That is fantastic:) I hear you with the weird baby sleep pattern. Ryan is over his headcold and got 4 teeth in, but still is tending to wake up during the night and just wants me to hold him. I have a feeling he got into a pattern with it when he was sick, so I'm going to have to let him settle himself back down. He also is now very consistently waking up in the morning at about 5:30am, so I have adjusted my bedtime to go to sleep earlier so I can get up with him. He is still going down for the night at about 7:30pm, so really is getting a nice, long sleep.

Well, I battled a head cold last week myself but still managed to get 3 good walks in. This week I'm totally recovered, so will get back into my workouts and hope to get 6 in. Tonight is elliptical intervals for me.

Okay, hope all the other mommies are doing well. I'll probably check back in later today or tomorrow.
;)
Stacey

Ryan born 1/2/07
Emma born 4/27/03
Alex born 9/7/01

Hi, ladies,

Lori and Stacey, how old are Ryan and Rylan? I'm drooling over your sleep times!

Well, I tried to get a walk in today, but Ella just wasn't having it. Not because I couldn't get her in the stroller, but because I couldn't get her off my boob! I have to ask if this is normal. Ella is 5 weeks on Wednesday, and lately, I've been feeling like a breast feeding failure. These past few days, she's been wanting to eat non-stop - like literally every hour. So basically, I am stuck sitting in my recliner all day because she cries bloody murder if I de-latch her. Am I not making enough milk? Then this afternoon as I was feeding her, she started to choke and then completely vomitted a bunch of milk out her mouth and nose. I don't know if I hit her gag reflex or what . . .

Then, at night she is going to bed around 10-11 pm, sometimes wakes at 1 am, wakes at 3 am and 5 am. Usually I get up twice in the middle of the night, but that leaves me uncomfortable and engorged at night. HELP! This is my first, and I don't know what's normal!!!

Chrissy

Hi everyone.

I am sorry I missed last weeks check in. I have been busy with little Jeremy, who is now 2 months old. I can't believe how big he has gotten! I did still manage to get in 6 workouts last week, so I am proud of that. But the weight isn't coming off, judging by the fact I still can't get into any of my old clothes (I don't own a scale, so who knows what I weigh). I am trying to remember the great advice and support I got here, particularly that it takes 9 months to put on the weight, so taking 9 months to get it off is understandable. I appreciate everyone's support very much. Now if I could just stop eating like I am still pregnant, things would progress.

Chrissy, I am sorry to hear of your troubles with Ella. I wish I could offer some advice, but I don't breastfeed. I am not able to, since I take Zoloft (for some reason I could take it while pregnant, but I can't breastfeed). Perhaps someone else can offer you some tips. I wish you the best, and hang in there!

Stacey, good luck with Ryan. I hope he starts sleeping better at night.

Lori, enjoy your last 4 weeks of maternity leave. And congrats on the amazing weight loss. I need to use you as an example and get my butt in gear. :p

So far this week, I have done the following:

Sunday- 45 minutes of weights and abdominals
Monday- Off
Today- KM (cardio sections only) + CM 1

I started back to work on Sunday, and man was that tough. I am only working one day a week to start, and will then only work 3 days a week at the most starting at the end of this month. It felt so weird to be at work! I was sort of like a fish out of water and moving slowly. I missed Jeremy so much! But his dad took excellent care of him, and I am glad he doesn't have to start at the babysitter just yet. That will start in November. Part of me wants to not ever take him to the babysitter, but I know it's not fair of me to ask my mother to watch him every day I am at work. She has volunteered for one day a week, and I am sure she will enjoy that one-on-one time with her grandson. She was still living in Florida when my older son was an infant, so she is enjoying watching Jeremy grow.

My older son, Ethan, is turning 5 years old this Friday and I can't believe it. We will have a party for him on Saturday. He is so excited. I remember his first birthday party, my aunt tried to give him cake and he didn't like it. Now he can't wait to get his hands on his birthday cake (which will be Scooby Doo). Aww, to be a kid again!

Well, I think I have talked your ears off enough, so I will sign off. I'll check back in later. Take care!

Erin

Jeremy born 8/8/07
Ethan born 10/12/02

Hello everyone!

Chrissy, wow, I wish I could be more help with breastfeeding advice but all of my kids have been bottle fed! So, I do know from my friends that have breastfed that what you are going through is not unusual and things really will get better. I'm hoping you hear back from some other moms who can offer better tips than I. Have you talked to your pediatrician about it? Hang in there:)

Erin, so great to hear from you and outstanding job getting the 6 workouts in last week!!! I'm sure the weight will start to come off, remember that Jeremy is only 2 months old. For me, I didn't feel like I saw significant changes until around the 3 month mark, and didn't actually lose all the baby weight until the 9month mark. So, hope that is helpful. I hope the return to work gets easier, and how wonderful that you mom can watch your baby for you even one day a week. I'd like to be able to work a few days part time, but don't have any childcare that I'm comfortable with so will wait until Ryan is older and starting preschool. I'm also trying to find some part time work from home (bookeeping) just to do a little something. Happy birthday early to Ethan!!! Isn't it amazing how fast 5 years goes by? My oldest, Alex, just turned 6 last month.

Have a great one everyone. So far I've gotten in a solid interval elliptical workout last night, and just finished a 40min Crunch Yoga/Pilates workout.

Stacey

Ryan born 1/2/07
Emma born 4/27/03
Alex born 9/7/01

Chrissy, she may be going through a growth spurt? I think they go through one around 6 weeks. If she is on there and is happy, then I wouldn't worry but if she is on there and seems to be whining, THEN I would be concerned about my milk. There was one time I went to BURPS (thats where we get our babies weighed) and I was telling the health nurse that I didn't feel like I had any milk. I then weighed him and found out that he had gained 1 lbs in 1 week...she then said, no wonder you don't think you have any milk, he as it all drank! LOL I think as a bf'ing mother we all worry about out milk supply. One reason being b/c we enjoy it so much and the other one is b/c you can't tell how much milk they are getting and when they ar hungry 1 hour after they fed last, then you assume you don't have enough milk, thats not always the case. Is there anywhere you can take her to get her weighed? That might make you feel better. But like I said, if she is on there and crying, then she isn't getting much, but if she is happy and you can hear her swallowing, I would think its just a growth spurt. When Rylan would get like that I would take my boob and squeeze it to make sure milk came out and it always did. Good luck!

Erin,it must be tough going back to work so soon! I would die! Although I think it is easier on the babies when the moms go back to work earlier, its just harder on the moms. But I feel like when I go back to work he is going to be wondering where I am b/c he as been with me and only me for the last 9 monthes! I haven't even left him for alnight, you'd swear it was my first.
Good job on the workouts. I really had to clean up my eating after 4 weeks PP. I kept going to the kitchen and eating sweets. I knew what I had to do to lose the weight but I just couldn't do it. Plus, we are so tired that I think our bodies crave carbs to keep us going.I had to sign up for WW's online. I knew once I dished out $100 I would follow the program.I bet you will see a difference if you start really watching it.

Stacy, good job on the workouts! I actually got a good nights sleep last night but I feel like I need more!!!!

Workouts are going good again this week but Rylan won't let me workout early in the morning when he is awake anymore so its 3:15 and I still haven't worked out. Im thinking about taking the day off and going for a really long run tomorrow!

HAve a good week mommies!

Lori:)

Hi mommies,

Of course I am checking in late, just as always. ;-)

Heidi had her 9 month check up today and she now weighs 20 lbs. 12 oz. and is 30 in long. Wow, she is getting so big. She also got her last Hepatitis B shot and half of her flu shot (she will get the other one in a month) and they also drew blood from her finger for checking her iron level. Other than that, she is as healthy as she can be.

Here are my workouts from last week:

Mon - 60 min treadmill run
Tue - 45 min treadmill run
Wed - PP
Thu - off
Fri - 60 min treadmill run
Sat - off
Sun - 45 min treadmill run

Well, I am not sure about if that was the exact days I did the workouts, but that's what I did.

Chrissy - Hope you are feeling better soon with your mastitis. I am so glad I never had that. As Lori said, I would say as well, that Ella is going through a growing spurt and that's why she is nursing constantly. It should get better soon though, so don't worry.

Lori - Sometimes they wake up at night for a while without a reason, so that's maybe why you can't seem to find why. You are doing such a great job on the weight loss. Congrats, I sure wish I would be, but I will get there, I know.

Stacey - I sure hope that you get Ryan back in his sleep routine. Heidi has this new thing right now, each time I put her down for a nap or at night, that she screams bloody murder when I leave the room and I never had problems with her putting her down, but I am sure she will get over that pretty soon. Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Erin - Great job on your workouts, just keep with it and the weight will come off easy. Like you said yourself it's only two months since you gave birth, so just hang in there. Sorry to hear that you had to go back to work already, I am sure that must be so hard to leave your little guy, but it's great that you will only be working three days a week at the most, so you still get plenty of time to spend with Jeremy.

I just started the May 07 Rotation today (the one with all the premixes) and hope to see some good results. Haven't done a Cathe Rotation in a while and normally I get some good results with it. So cross your fingers that this will finally help me loose the rest of the baby weight. I am sure that I stopped nursing Heidi will help too, so maybe my body decides it doesn't need to hold on to all that extra fat anymore ;-) .

Alright ladies, getting ready to go to bed, but I will check back later this week.

Kristine :)

Good morning mommies!
How is everyone today?

Kristine, awesome workouts, great that you are able to do the running. I have an elliptical (which I really like), but sometimes wish I had a TM so I could run during the colder months. Sounds like Heidi is doing great!! She is getting so big just like my little guy:) Hard to believe ours are 9months old already. I also need to get a flu shot for each of my kids.

Lori, is Rylan sleeping better for you? Ryan had a pretty good night last night, just woke up once for a few minutes. I'm hoping he'll get back on track in the next few days.

Chrissy, breastfeeding getting any better? I hope you are getting some rest?

Erin, how is little Jeremy doing? Hope you are able to get some good workouts in with all the birthday planning;)

I'm excited today because I bought the Low Max dvd and now have the full version of the workout (I was doing the one off of fittv). I love the premixes, really works well with my busy schedule. I did the all step premix this morning and loved it!

Have a great one everyone:)

Stacey

Ryan born 1/2/07
Emma born 4/27/03
Alex born 9/7/01

I'm finally in sync with the postings! I've been trying to post every week as an outlet for insanity and to get inspiration to press on with my post partum weight loss, but I've happened to log on when there wasn't a post.

Last week was no good, I only worked out once (a long jog) in 7 days. I had company, then husband was out of town, then it was his bday...on and on it goes! Getting back on track now. Ran last evening, getting ready to do weights now.

I am 15 weeks pp, and I haven't weighed myself in weeks. I was so depressed because the scale was stuck at the exact same weight I left the hospital with, 10 weeks later. I have a dr. appointment next week and I absolutely DREAD being weighed. I was always so fit and now I am just...jiggly, I guess. Full thighs. Big gut. UGH! What happened to me??

It's encouraging to read that a lot of women didn't see any change, even with exercise and clean eating, until 3-4 months pp. My period just returned, so I hope that's a sign my body is going to start getting back to normal. Except for last week, I sure am trying! I record everything I eat in an online journal, too. Wish me luck.

LORI: Great news on your weight loss! My goodness, I am envious. Like you mentioned in your other post, I hate when people comment on weight. "Have you lost weight, Cathy???" in front of tons of people. How embarrassing. Fortuantely, or unfortunately, no one has asked me this, even with all the big mouths I know, so I must still be pretty round. :( Why can't people just say, "You look nice," or nothing at all! Have fun @ your party.

Have a great day, everyone!

-Cathy

Mom of Sachin Nicholas, born 6/25/07

Hi, ladies,

How is everyone today?

I was able to get a walk in and do a few shoulder and leg exercises. Ella had a really good day yesterday, and today was good too. I hope things are starting to settle . . .I mean, I know they never TRULY settle, but well, you all know what I mean . . .

The breastfeeding is going better. I still wish I could detach my boobs and give them to my husband to feed Ella every now and then, but at least she's been feeding every 2 hours or so instead of every hour for almost the entire hour . . .it's been a nice break.

Ella is 5 weeks old today. Sometimes I can't believe it!

By the way, how many of you have more than one child? How old are they? How many of you are planning to have more children?

Chrissy

Hi ladies!

Thanks to everyone for the ongoing support and encouragement. I appreciate it so much. I know that there is no one else to blame for my slow weight loss than myself. I am definitely too much into snacking and carbs. I think I need to follow Lori or Cathy's lead and either join Weight Watchers or try an online food journal. Where do you find those journals, anyway?

For the past two days I have been blessed with a quiet, sleeping baby and managed to get in two uninterrupted workouts. Today I did Drill Max, and this was the first time I have done it since I found out I was pregnant. I thought it was way too high intensity to do while pregnant. Man, did that workout kick my butt today! I got very out of breath in spots and had to slow down. But I figure that will get better soon, as my endurance increased as the workout went on. I was proud to finish it!

Chrissy, I am glad to hear Ella is doing better. And good job getting some exercise in today. I hope things continue to get better. And to answer your questions, yes, I do have more than one child. My older son is going to be 5 years old on Friday. And Jeremy is now 2 months old. I do not plan on having any more children, as two seems to be more than enough. How about you? Will Ella get a little brother or sister one day?

Stacey, I hope Ryan is doing better. How our your older children doing? Do they like school so far? Baby Jeremy is doing fairly well, but today he was quite fussy. He was overtired, but wouldn't go to sleep or take a nap longer than for 20 minutes at a time. He just now crashed and I am really enjoying the peace and quiet!

Cathy, welcome to our little group. I think you will find it very supportive. It's like Cathe says in her workouts, "we're all in this together." :)

Take care, everyone!

Erin

Jeremy born 8/8/07
Ethan born 10/12/02

Hi Erin,

Thanks for the welcome, I love coming here and hope I can do so regularly.

WOW--you are doing a lot for 2 months postpartum, that is wonderful! I wouldn't gauge weight loss as "slow" after this short of a time. You're doing great! I remember my first jog about 5 weeks after delivery...so HARD. Honestly, I felt in much better shape jogging at 7 mos. pregnant (I ran through my 7th month but had to stop then) than I did that day and I was so down about it. Doing much better now!

The online site I use is FitDay.com. I've used it on and off for almost 5 years! It's free, and I think it's pretty good and detailed considering it's free. I can't say enough good things about it. It's a little time-consuming at first because there are lots of foods I enter on my own, like Cooking Light recipes, but it only takes a minute and then it's there forever. I like it that I can go back to any day in '03, when I was tiny, and see what I ate and how I worked out, and what I weighed. It's inspiring because it's "me" I'm looking up to! I am sure WW's site is good too ... I've just invested so much time here that I think I'll stay a bit longer. I like it because I can eat around my needs as I enter foods. When I see I'm low on fiber by mid-day, I pop a high-fiber something in my mouth. It's really foolproof as long as you're diligent!

Take care!
Cathy

Chrissy,

You're so brave to raise the topic of more babies with a 5-week old! :) My boy is 15 weeks, and I can't think about it yet. My husband is ready for another, naturally--he doesn't have to do much!!

I love my son SO much I cannot imagine having another now, I want to give him all my love. I know another child doesn't mean I'd love him less, but you know what I mean. He consumes ALL my emotions and I love it! My nephews are 3 and almost 2, and they're so cute together. The only thing that makes me even slightly interested in another is that I think my baby would like a sibling--so I'd do it for him.

Congrats on the breastfeeding, it was an extremely rocky road for me with many complications, dr. visits, in-home visits. Kudos! I had the same engorgement issue, and there was nothing I could do about it but feed or pump--the LC told me the same thing. It made me miserable. I was so tired that I just couldn't do it, and I'd wake up all wet and in pain! Plus, my son couldn't feed and I pumped so it was extra hard to get out all that blasted apparatus! Maybe it will get better for you ... the breasts seem to get in sync with your schedule. Toward the end, it wasn't as bad for me.

Cathy

Hi, all!

Erin, you continue to amaze me with your workouts! I'm only about 5 1/2 weeks PP, but I can't even imagine doing the workouts your're doing! And you're losing so much weight! Good job!

I think definitley SOME day hubby and I will give Ella a sibling, but I'm kind of like Casia right now, I want to give all my attention to Ella. She's so cute.

Casia, I can sooo comiserate with your situation. Are you still BF? Is it getting easier? Did your "night boobs" get any better?

Hubby and I are trying to get Ella on more of a nap schedule this next week. Since she'll be 6 weeks, we figured this may be a good time. So far, I've been letting her feed whenver, and fall asleep whenever, but we've noticed that when she DOESN'T sleep in the afternoon, she is soooo hard to get to sleep at night. So we're trying to do a schedule like:

wake
feedings
nap
feedings/play
nap
feedings/play
possibly another nap
bed

We've tried it for about two days now. Yesterday was perfect, and it actually helped her space out her feedings, and made it more manageable for me. Today, her feedings are nicely spaced, but the she's not going down for the afternoon/evening nap quite as nicely. Hubby JUST got her to sleep on his chest, so we'll see how long that lasts. We tried several times to put her in her crib for a nap, but the longest she stayed there was 30 mins.

Oh well - what kind of schedules are your babies on? I always think it's interesting to hear of other baby schedules.

Chrissy

Chrissy,

No, I'm not still bf'ing. I held out until 8 weeks, and I stopped. My son had a tight frenulum and couldn't latch properly, which caused a whole slew of issues and infections. I went so far as to have the frenulum clipped, no luck with the latch/sucking. So I pumped and fed him that through 8 weeks. It was SO HARD. Glad it's all behind me now! So, my "night boobs," ha ha, didn't really get any better because there were a lot of other things going on and it was so hard for me to get up in the night and pump w/ all the equipment, etc. Aye aye aye! I *think* they would have gotten better, otherwise. Hope that helps!

My baby--and I know I am blessed!--has been sleeping 8-10 hours since he was about 7-8 weeks old. He is up most of the day, I think that helps him conk out at night. Maybe you will have the same fortune!

Take care,
Cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.