Possible Torn ACL

lainabaina

Cathlete
Just wondering if anyone can offer up some advice on dealing with this type of knee injury. Have not had an MRI yet. Just happened yesterday...crashed into a tree abt 20 feet into a descent. My right shoulder/bicep took the brunt of it but somehow my left knee got all wonky from the roll down the hill. I am super lucky I didn't break anything. I have never had this type of injury so would love to hear your thoughts if you have the time.

I honestly believe that because I include strength trg in my fitness program that it helped keep my injury minimal. One of the first things I thought abt when I was icing my knee was...hope I get better soon so I can try out the new workouts in a couple weeks! Thanks y'all!

it's right thing to put an ice on the injured part but you should have an mri soon. meantime, you need to relax until you will be totally ok. don't force to stretch so that will heal soon.

I tore my acl in my late 20's skiing downhill. I lived with it for about 8 years. Sometimes I could work out fine and other times I was limping along. I finally had surgery to replace the acl and it is perfect now. No problem whatsoever. Good luck.

So sorry to hear of your tumble...yikes!
For Sprains and Strains I usually go with R.I.C.E...or rest, ice, compression and elevation...with a big emphasis on REST as the body needs time to heal. Frustrating in the short term I know but hang in there.
However, if you have more than a sprain or strain you will need some medical intervention and assistance!

So sorry for your injury! I had ACL reconstruction surgery in 2006. If it requires surgery, you'll have about 4-5 months of physical therapy after to strengthen the muscles and be able to walk again without limping. :( It took me about a year to feel back up to speed again but 3.5 years later I'm perfectly fine. :)

Tearing an ACL affects everyone differently. For me, it was hard to even walk without having the "slipping" feeling going on in my knee. I opted to have the surgery ASAP which was about a month after my injury (I fell playing volleyball in a sandpit).

I wish you a quick and speedy recovery. Take it easy and let your body heal and you'll be good as new again. :)

Kathy G

thanks for the info everyone. I do not have a torn ACL or MCL after all thank goodness. just a bad sprain/strain, but that coupled w/ the bruising & pain I have in my right shoulder area will keep me sidelined for a while. I already feel my fitness fading. I can walk no problem and do some light spinning on the trainer (takes me some effort to actually get on the bike though) but any lateral movement or propulsion is definitely out of the question.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.