Portable Protein Snack

tvan_horn

Cathlete
I have really been trying to get more protein in between meals during the day, but have had a hard time because I can not stand the taste of protein bars and so many of them are loaded with sugar (which I get plenty of from other sources) and I can only eat so many egg whites during the day.

Anyway, I had forgotten about soynuts. They are basically roasted soybeans. Some of them have flavors added (BBQ, Honey-roasted). According to the package, one serving has 130 cals, 9 gr protein, 7 gr fat and 10 gr carbs (BBQ flavor). A serving size is 1/3 cup.

So far they are working out as a pretty good snack for me because I like something salty and crunchy, but I don't over-eat them like I would crackers or nuts, but I do like the taste. I got them at my local (small rural) grocery store. They in the produce section near the dried fruit and nuts.

Hi Charlotte. You did hear some news about soy and breast cancer, but it's the reverse. Soy contains phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are 1/10,000th the strength of estrogen; which makes them far, far less dangerous to cells. Imagine a cell being jangled by a supervolt of estrogen or a weak pulse of phytoestrogen when the hormone hooks up to the cell walls. It's gentler. The cellular (DNA) damage from repeated hormone "jolts" may be one of the underlying causes of cancer. No one really understands the biochemistry of cancer; but we do know that Japan has one of the highest intake rates of soy and one of the lowest rates of breast cancer worldwide.
Enjoy the soy!

I found soy nuts from Genisoy imported at a grocer here in Taipei. My hat is off to you for liking them--I didn't care for the BBQ flavor myself; and am still searching for the "ideal" portable protein. Thanks for sharing your success, though! I bet someone has tried soynuts thanks to your post. I'm glad to hear they've made inroads into rural grocers, too.

That's interesting! Thanks for sharing that info with me. I have always liked spicy soybeans, but been afraid to eat too many because of what I heard.

Charlotte~~

Thanks for the info - very informative and interesting!

I guess here in the midwest, we are surrounded by soybeans, so they had to get to our grocers sooner or later!

I think the soy/breast cancer connection has to do with soy foods that aren't whole foods: isolated soy protein, soy protein concentrate (all those things found in many soy burgers, hot dogs and protein drinks). The Chinese typically eat a lot of soy FOODS (tofu, soy milk, miso) and have a very low rate of breast cancer. I wouldn't worry about FOODS like tofu, tempeh, edamame or soy milk. I do avoid soy protein drinks made from soy protein isolate/concentrate, and those types of soy foods.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.