Plyo Legs Meso 3

I posted this in the STS forum, but no tips. Thought I would try here.

I just started Mesocycle 3 on Sunday and did the Plyo Legs disk this morning. Although I would love to be able to do the plyo portions of the workout, I had to think of other things to do instead to modify. I pretty much ran out of things to do and do skater hops to the side for several of the plyo parts.

I am thinking that I either need to do another leg workouts, combine all of the weight portions in this one and do them twice (leaving out the plyo parts), or come up with a modified move to do for all of the plyo sections.

My left knee hates jumping and high impact moves. For cardio, I stick to kickboxing. I can typically get in one step workout every week or other week if I watch the moves (no turning quickly, jumping...)

Any advice? Anyone have this problem? I was worried about this when STS was first announced and waited to buy it because of this reason. I want to try to stick to the program as planned, but have to listen to my left knee. I don't care for the squat rack leg workouts. I don't have a squat rack and the exercises are so boring in those. I enjoyed the weight portion of plyo legs.

OK. Enough rambling. Can anyone help a girl with a temperamental left knee?

~Thanks~

If it were me, I would either redo M2 legs (which made my legs super sore!) or I would sub other Cathe leg workouts, like GS legs, SH, B&G, etc. Cathe has said that what makes STS work is the sequencing, and that the power moves are supposed to build explosive strength. So if you have to skip them, I'm just not sure that doing all the weight moves twice would give you the benefits of the program. And since I am all about maximizing my WO time, I would do something different. Good luck!

I would probably do GS Legs or Leaner Legs or maybe do o the Tri-sets from Meso 2. Actually the squat rack legs routine in Meso 3 is a good routine and does the job. It maybe redundant week after week but it is effective and it works. You do not need a squat rack- you can use a weighted vest as Cathe does.

Clothesminded -

I actually did Plyo Legs today and was thinking about your question during my workout.

Plyo Legs weight portion is still a demanding workout even without the plyo moves. The lower weight and higher repetition format does increase your heart rate, again, even without the plyo work.

As long as your legs can take the multiple repetitions I would try the following:

Week One - do plyo legs week one and week two eliminating the plyo work and the additional 30 second rest.

Week Two - do plyo legs week two and week three.

Week Three - plyo legs week three and four

Week Four - plyo legs week four and one.

Actually you could really mix them up any way you want. Each workout is well balanced and utilizes all the lower body muscles. Using the workouts in this fashion would certainly eliminate the boredom factor of doing double sets of each movement.

I use many of these moves with clients. I particularly like all of the side lunges. Keep listening to your knees.

Debbie Russo

Oh, Debbie. That's great advice. It's just what I was looking for but didn't have the know-how to come up with it on my own :)

Thanks so much.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.