PLS READ THIS WARNING ABOUT ECHINACEA!

Lex411

Cathlete
The following exerpt is taken directly from the book "The Chinese Way to Healing, Many Paths to Wholeness" by Misha Ruth Cohen, OMD, L.Ac.

"There are several herbs that are often misused and may cause significant health problems if self-presribed.

Echinacea and goldenseal are often taken by people with chronic viral illnesses. These two herbs are meant to be used for acute, not chronic, viral illnesses - at the beginning of a cold or flu, for example. Furthermore, studies show that echinacea increases tumor necrosis factor (TNF), so long-term, high-dose use may weaken rather than strengthen the immmune system. Also, goldenseal can be toxic when taken for too long, since it is stored in the liver and not excreted."

I know several people who are either taking echinacea/goldenseal on a daily basis on their own or who take a daily mutlivitamin that contains the herb combo. I warned them of the long-term problems and I just wanted everyone on here, health-nuts that we all are, about overuse as well. It is a great immune system boost when taken at the very beginning or a cold or flu for a short duration, but taking it daily not only renders it ineffective when really needed but can cause toxic buildup over time. So save it for cold and flu season, only when you are actually sick, and don't add it to your daily routine.

Be healthy and happy!
Lex

Thanks for the info. I've often read that echinacea should only be used for a short period of time. Andrew Weil counsels against taking goldenseal internally (From experience, I know it works WONDERFULLY on skin problems--though leaves a yellowish tint for a while), and I've also seen other books on herbalism that say to only use goldenseal externally.

Actually, my doctor said occassional use of goldenseal internally for lung problems (asthma, bronchitis, etc) can be very beneficial, just not as a permanent or long term solution. But I think they old saying of "all things in moderation" is the safest way to go.

But thanks for the extra info. I'm always looking to learn more! I had no idea goldenseal was good for skin problems. Can you tell me more about that? I have 2 close friends that have been on antibiotics for years for skin problems and I'd love to see them stop that, it's killing their immune systems.

Thanks!
Lex

Goldenseal

I used goldenseal for a bad bout of contact dermatitis, after a spider bit me, many years ago. I made a concoction of ground goldenseal and myrhh in an aloe vera base, spread it on my arm and wrapped it overnight. The next day, the blisters and nasty stuff that had been on my arm started drying up, my arm stopped itching like all get out, and I was all better within a few days. I credit most of this to the goldenseal, though the aloe and myrrh probably also helped. As I mentioned, since goldenseal is very yellow, it leaves a yellowing stain on the skin for a while--probably not the best thing if the skin problem is on one's face!

RE: Goldenseal

That's really good to know, thank you for sharing that with me. Obviously I won't go smearing it all over my face but at least it gives me something natural and healing to try for other types of skin problems.

Thanks a bunch!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.