Please, someone tell me ITBS can get better!

ellesan

Cathlete
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm so frustrated and discouraged right now preparing for my race. Fitness wise, I can easily run at least 5-6 miles but the ITB pain stops me after about 2 miles and I have to walk on/off. I'm doing all the ITB stretches, foam rolling, taking ibuprofen, etc. Any insights? What worked for you? Anyone try PTtape? Brace? Anything??!!

I feel your pain - truly I do! When my low back isn't plaguing me (as it is currently and it sucks!), I do have sporadic ITB issues - especially if I try to do too much too fast. I did find that the stretches and mostly the foam roller were essential to keeping it under control. One thing I did find was that going to a massage therapist helped - it gets pricey, but getting someone that does deeper massages vs. the "fluffy" kind:p It's the good kind of pain,lol. Anyway, I found that deep tissue massage helped a lot.

Have you looked at the forums on runner's world, etc? There are a lot of experienced runners on there who have ITB that may give you some more helpful hints.

Yours in ITband pain:mad:
Heidi

I feel your pain! I had to quit running nearly 4 years ago now because of my ITB and it STILL won't leave me alone. I've been sidelined with other things in between, but, seriously, I've given the darn thing plenty of rest. Fitness-wise, I could probably run 3 miles right now (not great, but I'm not in the best shape right now), but the pain stops me within a mile.

My SO has been dealing with this for years also. No relief :\

You may have already done this, but I recommend a good sports minded physical therapist. I was struggling with knee pain caused by my IT band. My doctor told me to lay off the high impact stuff and stretch. She said if after 6 weeks I didn't improve she would send me to physical therapy. I insisted on going right away. I went to a place that specialized in athletes and sports injuries. The therapist was amazing. She found that my hips were out of alignment and got me fixed back up. She also showed me how my staibilizer muscles were weak which throws everything out of whack.

2 weeks with her program of stretching and strength and I feel like a million bucks! :D Good luck with your injury!

Thanks for the info and experiences!

Heidi, I think I will try a sports massage therapist next, if it helps the pain it's worth the $$!

Fidget Queen--I hear you--I don't think the "rest" makes any difference because I was sick last year and didn't run for over 6 months and it was still there lurking when I started running again. :mad:

Lisa, thanks for the info and giving me hope it can get better! There is a sports physcial therapy office in my gym and I've stopped in there several times. They just give me the same stretches to do and tell me to keep foam rolling. It's not working for me at this point...I will check into another place--thanks!

Sandra, one thing that helped me was the Futuro Sport Adjustable Knee Support. I used it while running. The other thing that helped me was Cathe's Stretch Max -- the segment used with the band and the segment with the ball really helped me.

Good Luck! Please let us know how things turn out for you.

YES~! It CAN get better!!!!!!!
Ice, stretching, massage, and rest days!!! That is all you need. You MUST do those things!
I ran xc in college and that is the "prescription" to get ITBS at bay. (I had bad ITBS) Take care of yourself. Setbacks are your body's way to have you reevaluate and to take care of yourself. It does get better!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.