Please recommend fitness books. . .

ivorygorgon

Cathlete
I am wanting to read a lot more about fitness and weight lifitng. I have read:

Karen Andes, A Woman's Book of Strength;
BFFM
Weightlifting 1001 (didn't like so much)

Any suggestions for must haves?

Basically anything by Douglas Brooks, especially "Effective Strength Training: Analysis and Technique for Upper Body, Lower Body, and Trunk Exercises"

Many books published by "Health for Life" (Jerry Robinson) or Human Kinetics (they have a web site www.humankinetics.com ) (Like "Muscle Mechanics" by Everett Aaberg.(with the exception of "Sculpting Her Body Perfect" which contains quite a few risky moves and photos of bad form).

I like Effective Strength Training by Douglas Brooks, also. Exercise Etc. recommended it as the definitive book on how to lift weights properly and what equipment to use or not use.

I also have a lot of Men's Health books that are favorites.
Just Do It! :)

I liked Sculpting Her Body Perfect by Brad Schoenfield and Total Women's Fitness by Robert Kennedy (both have newer versions than what I have).
I also liked Shape Traing by Robert Kennedy, when I first started out.

I like Cory Everson's Workout and Cory Everson's Fat Free and Fit. They were printed in the 90's so if you can get past the big hair in some of the pictures, it is full of great routines for weight lifting, nutrition, etc ... I learned a lot about weight lifting from those two books.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.