Please help....skinny legs

Zozo

Cathlete
Hello :)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me? What type of leg workouts do you recommend in order to BUILD up your legs? My legs have disappeared in the last couple of months. I am able to squat very heavy, but my legs have no visible fat or muscle on them. None of my clothes fit because of it, and I look distinctly unbalanced given that my upper body seems to have built muscle nicely. I am desperate for some advice as to what leg training works best for bulking up.

Thanks in advance,

Zoe

You are already lifting heavy, so I'm not really sure what to tell you. Normally, I would just say eat enough protein, lift heavy, and not too often. But, it seems like you are doing that. Maybe do some intense hill work?

You could try adding sets, decreasing reps & increasing weight. For example (just pulling numbers out of my hat here), if you're doing 3 sets 10 squats at 100 lbs, try 4 sets 6 squats at 125-150 lbs.

Also if you go to a gym you could try the same method w/the isolation exercises like extensions & curls.

I gotta tell you though, for me this is a genetic issue. I squat, lunge & leg press a ridiculous amount of weight but it doesn't matter. I still have toothpicks for legs & no a$$ at all. :confused:

Look to Olympic athletes. Imitate the sprinters, do not copy the long or middle distance runners. So, forget that 30 min run and instead do sprints. Add plyo. Forget steady state cardio in general and always do HiiT.

Other than that, it's genetic and what can you do?

Dress for success: avoid the skinny jean, wear bootcut or flare which will give more shape and balance between upper and lower body. If you wear skirts, don't pair them with dark tights in winter but lighter coloured ones to give the illusion of width. Wear flatter heels that do not "lengthen" the leg because high heels will accentuate that skinniness you do not like.

Wear coloured jeans in lighter colors and washes, this will also give the illusion of greater width.

Clare

No Answer

I feel your frustration...I look like a Flamingo with these legs. I had good results with S&H Legs and the STS Squat options and some AOS KB workouts though but since the IT band tightness I have had to limit the workouts and yes, they do disappear. :(

Thank you for your help everyone. I will have a go at a heavy rotation for a bit, and hope they start to grow!

The Flamingo analogy is very apt! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.