Please, help me make a decision about this daycare>>

SarahM

Cathlete
I have been looking for a daycare for DD (2y/o)on and off for the past few months. I narrowed it down to two daycares and they happen to have openings while all other daycares in the area have long waiting lists. Is this a bad sign??

Daycare #1:

It was a Heritage daycare (state inspection report was acceptable, no major complaints or issues). The center has changed names and is now a Kinder Care center and I cannot find any inspection reports online. I had a good impression of the center the first time I visited. I haven't had a chance to revisit the place because of car issues but it is on my list of things to do Monday. The rate is slitly lower than other daycares in the area.

Daycare#2:

it is home based, it opened a year ago. My issues with this place:
today was the second time I went to visit the place, the first time around the director was not there leaving one emplyee with a toddler, a 9 month old, a 7 month old and a 6 month old. I went during activity time and there were no activities going on. Instead there a huge TV on, toys looked untouched at 10:45 a.m.

The director was not there both times, the employee told me that she sometimes runs errands in the morning. I just got off the phone with the director she informed me that she goes to traning in the morning. Hmm, who is saying the truth??

I asked the employee if she or the director have any experience working in a daycare, the employee said that the owner used to run a daycare before in another location and that she moved in the area last year and opened this new one.

Well, when I asked the same questions over the phone to the owner, she said that nobody has experience, but they were mothers and have all the traing required.

then I asked the director about part time rates, she said that she did not have them in front of her, but we would discuss the rates on my next visit!! what!!

oh, anothr thing: the employee heard me speak to DD in french , so she said that she was from Gana and that she too spoke french. I asked what other languages where spoken in their center, she said that she was the only one who spoke french. Later the director spoke to me in french.

The employee was so nice and calm that I did not see how bad this daycare was until I wrote this post. Needless to say that my DD will not go to this daycare!! and since I wrote this long post, I am going to submit it anyways.

Daycare # 1 looks better now!!

Thanks for reading!

Looks like you already made up your mind (and came to the same conclusion I did after reading through your post).

LOL - answered your own question! Sometimes writing things out like that really helps with making decisions. Before I got to the end of your post, I kept thinking to myself "Oh goodness, I hope she doesn't pick Daycare #2 - it sounds really fishy!" So there ya go! :)

I am a huge advocate for state-licensed daycare centers. I know there are a lot of great home-based daycares around, but I don't think they are required to follow state mandates (I could be wrong -it may vary state-by-state). There was a daycare post yesterday where I listed my neurotic questions that I made sure to ask when I interviewed daycares with my first son. It may help, if you want to check it out, here's my post:

Ev: I definitely see pros and cons of working and not working. I loved my job and SOOOOO enjoyed the special time I had with my oldest son when I'd pick him up from school. I still remember me tilting the rear-view mirror down to see him in his carseat as I quizzed him on all of the animal sounds and the alphabet. I really think he learned SO much at daycare too. He's my social butterfly now. I've really enjoyed staying home this time around, but we could afford for me to because I was a writer who made a very little salary which wouldn't cover two kids in daycare anyway. But I am going to get Henry into a program next year just so he'll have the very important social contact that only preschool can give.

As for the neurotic list of questions: Some questions I definitely would ask (these are from memory, couldn't find actual list):
Is the facility state licensed?
What is the curriculum? Is it a learning center or a daycare (go for the learning center)?
If it serves food (hot lunch and breakfast), what have been the past months' health dept. ratings?
Has the facility ever had a lawsuit brought against it?
What is the teacher/child ratio?
How many teachers/teacher aides per room?
Especially in infant rooms, I'd ask how often they disinfect the toys and mop (our daycare did it twice a day)
What is the policy on visitors? Do they have to sign in?
Can you visit whenever you like?
Where is the playground (our daycare had a courtyard completely enclosed by the building-- I didn't want strangers to be able to drive by and see the kids playing. Like I said, I'm really picky)
What is the director's background? Does he or she have a degree in early childhood education?
What is the school's sick policy? (I like places that make kids be fever-free and diarea/vomit-free for at least 24 hours before returning to school)
What is the school's policy on drug dispension? (Ours had to have written directions from parents).

These are just a few. But you get the idea.

Stephanie

Go with your mommy instint. Only you know where your child would be better off and what is the best for your family. My only advice is to drop in from time to time unannounced. Check the restrooms. Talk to the providers often. I am a former daycare worker and now have my own in home daycare. Which is licensed and inpected by the department of family services.
Trust you feeling, if you dont feel comfortable dropping her off in the morning maybe you should find a new place. The directors, teachers, and children make all the difference. There could be two daycares exactly the same but the staff makes a good daycare center. Good luck....

http://www.picturetrail.com/alio0026

I'm glad you decided against the second place--it does sound a little "off." Just a thought, but you may still want to get on the waitlist at another center (or two) after talking to some moms and visiting other places while you are sending your DD to the first place. I have 2 kids (now 12 and 10) and found that the "mom-network" was pretty reliable in terms of childcare places. By getting on the waitlist now, you aren't back to square one if things don't work out (for any reason). Good luck!

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

I agree that childcare #2 is suspicious and I would not feel comfortable leaving my child there. You wwould always feel like they are being untruthful to you, if you ever did leave your child there and I am sure you would feel uneasy.

Whatever Daycare you send your child to, you should always be welcome to drop in unannounced.

The daycare I sent my children to was located in a school. That made be feel even more comfortable because teachers, students and parents were always around and I was welcome any time. I also did have my children in home daycares, one I loved (was like part of the family) and the other did not like that much (I took my daughter out of this one quickly).

Hope whatever decision you make, it is right for you and your child.

I am probably not in an objective mindset to answer this question, since I am currently working on a case involving the death of an infant in in-home care. But nonentheless, I have alway felt more comfortable with my children in a center where several adults are present. I know there are many great in-home settings, but I prefer the "more than one adult" setting, unless you are very familiar with the in-home care provider.

Hi Sarah-

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have had my son go to a Kindercare learning center since he was about 9 months old. We absolutely loved their program and the teachers. We were very pleased with the type of socialization, evironment, and learning that he received from them.

He just started kindergarten this year and because of his Kindercare experience, he was more than ready and well adjusted to make the transition to "official" school. And, he didn't even go full time, just 2-2-1/2 days/week.

I had him in a home daycare prior Kindercare, and can say that we were all so much happier when we made the transition to the center. I think your decision is the right one!

Take care, Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.