Playing Cathe DVDs overseeas

twinmumsy

Hi Cathe,
I'm curious about your response to the woman from Spain in which you assured her that she could play Cathe DVD's in spain. Unless your DVD disks are different from other US DVD disks, they cannot be played on a European DVD player.

DVD are coded according to the region of the world in which they are made. US DVD players and disks are made in the Region 1 format and can only be played on a DVD player that plays region 1 DVDs. Unless you buy a special multi-region DVD player, the regular DVD players for sale in our stores will only play Region I DVDS. Spain and the rest of Europe players play only Region 2 DVDs, Asia Region 3 and so on. One can buy a "Multi-Region" or "Code Free" DVD player from many on-line resources and a few retail outlets (not the regular places where we shop for electronics though) for as little as $99. I got mine for about $200 and it works great. I live in the US and get alot of movies from Britain, and I researched this subject intensively before I bought one which is why I happen to know about this. The good news about these code-free DVD players is that you can hook them up to any TV, it doesn't matter whether the TV is PAL or NSTC (or whatever that acronym is). Like I said, it's an easy and relatively inexpensive solution.

Does this make sense? Or is there something you know that I don't? I think it's great that you gave such a personal and warm answer to the young lady, and I wouldn't like to see you inadvertantly mislead her. Perhaps your DVDs are different, but I've never heard of multi-code DVD discs.

By the way, I love your stuff Cathe, and am very excited to get the hardcore series myself. Respectfully,

Linda

RE: Correction

I need to correct you here because we don’t want overseas customers to get the wrong information about DVDs. When we make a DVD we have total control over which regions of the world our DVDs will play in. Since the beginning we have always replicated every DVD we have had made to play in “All” regions of the world. This means our DVDs will play in every country of the world. Unfortunately, most DVDs made in Europe will usually not play in the USA, but region coding is not the main reason why.

In addition to regional codes that can be used to prevent playback in different areas, DVD uses different formats for NTSC (the USA System) or PAL (the European system)playback. Almost no US players can play PAL DVDs. Nearly all European players can play both PAL and NTSC TVs, but only on a 60-Hz-capable PAL TV or a multistandard TV. Most DVD-equipped computers can play both NTSC and PAL discs.

We now have 44 titles on DVD and have been selling DVDs to customers overseas for over 5 years now. We have sold thousands of DVDs to International customers and we have never had an overseas customer that could not play our DVDs.

I am the girl of Spain you are talking about. i have my dvd with now and I love all of them. I do not have a multi-region dvd only a PAL DVD and I love the workouts. Of course I can see the dvd. :) :) :D

RE: Correction

As I said, "maybe you know something that I don't". In that case, I stand corrected and appreciate your clarifying the issue.

Linda

Hi (to the girl of Spain especially) and Cathe's techie and all who responded:

I appreciate the clarification and the explanation, and am glad to hear that you are all enjoying your work outs. I made the assumption that the the DVD playablity was a two way street between the US and Europe. But I did say, "maybe you know something that I don't" and I therefore stand corrected.

Linda

Hi to all!

I am a big of Cathe, originally from England but living in the US. I was telling my cousin back in the old country about the amazing new workouts that are revolutionizing my life, and she asked me if i could get them for her as well.

Such great news that they will work overseas!

Jennie

If a DVD is marked "all regions" OR "region: O," then it will play in all regions (obvious from the first marking, but not so much from the "0" marking).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.