Plantar Fasciitis Flare-up

sue320

Cathlete
I've seriously dropped my working out the last two weeks (sleep issues and then TTOM issues)--hence feeding that feeling that I can't take ANY time off. All of that to say, when I do work out (all Cathe) my PF would flare slightly. Today, it has really flared and it's painful. This is the worst it's ever been. I'm now a textbook case in the morning...pain upon first step. What would you do?

I can't completely give up my workout time or it will take me forever to get back in the swing of things. Should I just give up cardio for a couple of weeks (two), ice, do anti-inflammatories & do just weights OR should I continue my regular routine of cardio only seriously modified? What has worked for those that have this problem? I already have my custom orthotics and no, it's not time for new ones.

TIA---a lot!

Sue <><

Hey Sue,

I had just been diagnosed with achilles tendonitis and PF. I had PF about 4 or 5 years ago. I have to wear a boot now and take phlysical therapy for 6 wks. If it is that painful, I would only do weights. Upper body and abs is all I can do. Just don't be stubborn like me and still exercise because it could of been healed a long time ago. I'm not sure about the ice and motrin,maybe some of the other ladies may know more. But I don't think it will hurt.

Hope your foot heals up quickly!!

kim

I've had this problem in the past. I had to take a break from doing my step workouts for about 1.5 weeks. I used an exercise bike until it felt better. I iced my foot and made sure to stretch my calves every day. I read online that PF can be aggravated by tight calves. Since my foot has healed, I have lowered my step on all my workouts. Also I started alternating step workouts with kickboxing to prevent overuse injuries. And I make sure to use good shoes when doing my workouts. I prefer Rykas because they really cushion my feet well.

Just take it easy and listen to how your body feels. I made the mistake of trying to go all out on a step workout when I felt 90% better. I really regretted that because I ended up re-injuring myself. Make sure that you feel 100% before you tackle your more high impact workouts. It totally sucked using the bike because I hate cardio machines. My foot hasn't aggravated me since. Every once in awhile I'll feel some twinges, and I know to back off.

Ice, ibuprofen, lowering my step, and changing up my carido workouts helped the best. Sorry I'm so long winded. lol

Hi,

I had a nasty cas of the PF a couple of years ago. Probably 2 months on the stationary bike....I really think that the aerobic shoes that I was using did not work for me even though they felt good. I switched to New Balance 1006. They are pricey, but you can find them on closeout. Birkenstock shoes when you are not working out help support the foot in addition to the ice, ibuprofen and cross training. I still use an eight inch step. Whenever I feel the slightest twinge I back off and assess my shoes.

Tracy

Funny you should mention shoes. I have another thread where the shoes I've been wearing have been discontinued. I ordered NB 1007. They'll be here tomorrow. I live in my birks when I'm at home. Thanks for the input...I've failed to listen to my body and I'm paying for it now.

Sue <><

I had PF pretty bad a few years ago and it seemed that nothing I tried worked. My footdoctor never restricted me from working out because he knew how important it was to me. Orthotics and new shoes helped, but never really completely eliminated the problem.

I eventually went to a speciality shoe store to ensure that I was wearing the right shoes for my feet...saw some improvement but not quite there yet...

Then, I took anti-inflammatories for about 1 month regardless of whether or not I felt pain. (I Learned that PF has to do with inflammation and until you can get rid of it, the problem will persist.) In addition to that that I wore a night-splint when I slept for a month as well.

That took care of the problem for me and I have not had problems since. I did not lower my step height and I'm more intense than ever!

I realize that some cases are more extreme and therefore more drastic measures have to be taken.

The most important thing is that you treat your symptoms and be patient...

~Marietta
FITXME
http://www.picturetrail.com/fitxme

Sue,
I had a pretty bad case of PF after increasing my running mileage too quickly on pavement rather than trails and it was just like yours. Pain upon first step, etc. I ended up taking about two weeks off of cardio (other than stationary bike after 1 week of total cardio rest), just doing upper body and abs the first week, adding in lighter weight endurance workouts for the lower body the second week (i.e. Legs and Glutes, floor work from PLB, GS Legs, PS Legs and Abs, etc.). I iced for about 20 minutes a day, massaged it twice a day with peanut oil (which is great for mucle tightness, injuries, sore joints), and did a series of stretches for PF RELIGIOUSY. The most importan is probably to stretch your foot/feet before you ever step out of bed. Keep a towel by your bedside and wrap it around your toes and with a straight leg layed out on the bed GENTLY pull your toes back towards your torso. You want to go very slowly with this as your muscles are not warm and just breath through the stretch. Stretch each affected foot twice for about 20 seconds each stretch.
This helps to stretch out the inflamed tendon slowly and gently rather than quickly and brutally which is what that first step does every morning, increasing inflamation and scar tissue.
There are some other great stretches to do against the wall, on a inclined board, and with one foot hanging off the step. Do a quick search online for visuals on these.
I have to say that until I made sure to stretch before I got out of bed (even if it was to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night) or after I had been off the foot for a prolonged period of time, I didn't notice a reduction in pain. After the stretches (which I ended up doing twice day, and after every workout for weeks after I started working out for real) I began to heal very quickly.
Sorry this is so long, but I know how painful and frustrating PF can be. Also, be sure to wear well cushioned and supportive shoes almost all the time, this helps alleviate heal strike impact.
Best of luck,
Mattea

I have to agree with Mattea. My PF improved drastically once I got disciplined about stretching every morning and night.

I also realized I had to throw away some shoes that made it worse. And it's not always the ones you think - the ones that made mine hurt the most were a comfortable pair of aerosoles.

I appreciate all of the input.

I have begun stretching and will keep that up. I have also started the ibuprofen. New shoes are on the way and cardio will be kept to a minimum for one week with my step height decreased. I'm considering buy the night splint as well.

Why oh why is it so hard to cut back on exercise?

Sue <><

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.