Planning an event for 100 people!

khuynh

Cathlete
Hi all!

I need you help. I’ve got an event coming up that’s kind of a big deal and it’s next Saturday. I’m in Martial Arts and every year the highest-ranking officials (10th-degrees) travel to the states from Okinawa Japan. They travel to each state and select cities that they will visit to spend 2 – 4 days with all the students and schools of that style. Usually one school will organize the event for their area. This year, it’s my school.

So Friday, they will arrive in town and we will train for 3 hours Friday night, just our school. Then we will take them out to dinner. It’s really quite an honor to have one on one attention from these masters.

Then Saturday, we will train for six hours. Three hours – then lunch, then three hours again, this will be with all the schools from my surrounding area and is open to the public for spectation

I’m helping another person plan the lunch for this event. That means, we’ll have 100 martial artists that will be hungry as all get out after three hours of getting of intense training. These sessions are really physically demanding and when my sons were in this, they were exhausted for three days afterwards because it was so intense.

Here’s where I need your help.

I need suggestions.

Here’s the requirements of the lunch.

1.) The food needs to be calorie dense and healthy.
2.) The food needs to be cold food choices such that we don’t have to be too worried about spoilage.
3.) The food needs to be moderately priced (cheap as possible).
4.) The spread needs to look appealing (this is very important because it reflects on our Sensei and our school).
5.) They will only have between 30 and 45 minutes to eat, buffet style type.
6.) We have to be concerned with their electrolyte levels and fat content – the fat content needs to be kind of high to sustain that length of a workout.
7.) The choices we offer cannot weigh heavy in their stomachs or we will have sick people, such as heighten levels of sweating, fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, and indigestion, just to name a few.

We have some picks so far:

Roasted turkey
Ham
Choice of breads
Mayo
Mustard
Choice of sliced cheese
Veggies and dip
Nuts
Pasta salad
Potato chips - I don't really like this choice, but I do understand ... it is calorie dense.
Carrot cake
Iced tea
Gatorade
Lemonade
Water

I would appreciate any ideas that you may have to help us with this.

Thanks so much.

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

Cold soba noodles, udon noodles, Szechuan noodles, sesame noodles. That's what people eat over there and they'd be flattered you tried to give them the food they're used to.

I have many good recipes for all of these if you wish. They are very calorie dense.

Yes please!

I'd love to see what you have. We really need to make a good impression.

Thank you so much!

Keta,
Will you be able to have a couple of crock pots? Or is it just cold lunch? If you can have crock pots, have some soups. They are good for your water intake and also very can be calorie dense. To build on K60's suggestion, you could have udon noodle soup with tofu, or a vegetable soup with noodles and ginger seasoning. The soup options are endless!
Linda

Linda,

That's a good idea. I have a huge 5 Qt crock pot. That opens up some possibilities.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.