Pizzelle Cookies

goldenpath

Cathlete
I have tried to make these and the recipe I have tastes good but for some reason, they just don't look cute. I have either have too much batter or not enough. Any one have any tips for me.

Thanks

>Mine don't look "cute' either, but I can get them to look
>better when I make them bigger and trip trim them while they
>are still warm.
>

This was my first time making them. I am hoping with practice they look better. How do you put the batter on the grill, with a spoon? or with a pastry bag. I used a spoon but someone was telling me to try a pastry bag. I will do that next time. I will also trying trimming them. How do you trim them, with a knife, scissors?

O, one more thing, I ommitted the Anise because I did not have that. How does it taste, should I use it next time?

Thanks for your help.

If your batter is fairly loose, use a small scoop (like a tiny ice cream scoop). If your batter is thick enough, you can roll the dough into little balls. I'd still use a scoop to get a consistent size that works in the pizzelle iron. You might chill the dough to get the right consistency.

Anise is a licorice flavor. You can make your pizzelle any flavor you want. Almond is good, as is orange & lemon. Just add extract or maybe some finely grated citrus peel.

Debra

What kind of recipe do you have? I am 100 percent Italian , and ours includes vanilla as the flavoring. You also need a really good pizzelle iron ... Vitantonio's Pizzelle Chef is the best.

The batter I use is fairly stiff, so I drop it by teaspoonfulls onto the middle of the iron. If you want, I could post my family's recipe. Once you find the magic amount, you shouldn't have to do much trimming.

I have a good friend who is Italian who gives me some every year. Hmmmm, I have a breakfast date with her next week and I bet I get my fix.

>What kind of recipe do you have? I am 100 percent Italian ,
>and ours includes vanilla as the flavoring. You also need a
>really good pizzelle iron ... Vitantonio's Pizzelle Chef is
>the best.
>
>The batter I use is fairly stiff, so I drop it by
>teaspoonfulls onto the middle of the iron. If you want, I
>could post my family's recipe. Once you find the magic amount,
>you shouldn't have to do much trimming.

I would love the recipe. I will post the recipe I used and the name of the iron. How do you trim? Do you use a knife.

The batter I used was quite thick. I guess I really just have to play around with amount that I put on the iron.

Thanks for everyone's input.

OK, keep in mind what I went through to get this recipe so YMMV. I'd say "how much flour" and my mom would say "enough." :)

And oh yeah, these are NOT for the clean eaters!

1 dozen eggs
2 c sugar
1 c melted crisco
1 t. vanilla flavor (or more)
5.5 c. flour (or more)

Beat eggs, add sugar, melted crisco and flavor. Add flour, enough to have a stiff dough. Drop by teaspoon onto pizzelle iron. Makes about 100.

In terms of measurement, I take a regular table teaspoon. I think it's just an experiment to find out how much you need. My mom's still come out much prettier than mine, but she's been doing it about 60 years longer.

I use a spon to frop the batter onto the iron. We don't prefer anise, althoug my mother alswyas used it. We use almond and vanilloa for flavoring. My brother likes to add cocoa for chocolate pizelles.

This gives me an idea. Perhaps I will roll them while warm ( we sometimes do that) and put them out with our chocolate fountain in Christmas Eve.
Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

I am getting ready to make Pizelles. Here is our family recipe, we always double it .

PIZELLES
6 eggs 4 tsp baking powder
3 1/2 cups flour 1 cup margarine (NOT butter)
1 1/2 cups sugar 2 Tbsp anise OR vanilla

Beat eggs. Add sugar until smooth. Add cooled, melted margarine and flavoring.

Sift flour and baking powder and add to egg mixture. Mix well.

Use in Pizzelle iron.

Store in air tight container.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

I am getting ready to try and make these again tonight or tomorrow - where ever I can fit it in.. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks you for all the advice.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.