Pitbulls Mauled a Woman in her bed

ZT27

Cathlete
Here's an article. I'm pretty sure their main "prey" was the poor Jack Russell terror. What is wrong with people? (this post is not meant to start an argument. I just have never heard of a strange dog breaking into someone's home at night to attack)

GIG HARBOR, Wash. (Aug. 22) - Two pit bulls entered a house through a pet door Tuesday and attacked a woman in her bed, mauling her badly, a Pierce County sheriff's spokesman said.

The woman was able to grab a gun and attempted to shoot the dogs, then broke away from the attack and locked herself in her car, calling 911 for help, sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said.

The 59-year-old woman, identified by neighbors as Sue Gorman, was taken to St. Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma, where she was listed in satisfactory condition.

The pit bulls killed a Jack Russell terrier that entered the house during the attack, Troyer said. The Jack Russell, named Romeo, belonged to a neighbor.

"The thought is that the Jack Russell heard noise in the neighbor's house, came in and was attacked by the dogs," Troyer said.

Firefighters responded first, locking the dogs in the house, treating the woman and calling for an ambulance.

Officers "had to pepper spray and fight the dogs until they were detained. We almost had to shoot them on site," Troyer said.

The dogs were taken to the Humane Society for Tacoma and Pierce County, and will probably be destroyed, he said.

Zack Martin said he owns one of the pit bulls, a 2-year-old female named Betty, and was taking care of the other, a male named Tank, while his owner was out of town. Martin said he had Tank chained up in his backyard because of a past incident in which the two dogs got out and caused trouble together, but he allowed Betty to run loose in the fenced backyard. On Tuesday, he found the chain broken and both dogs gone.

"We never saw it coming," he said. "They're the kinds of dogs you'd let play with your babies."

It was not immediately known why the dogs entered the house or what set off the attack.

Troyer said Pierce County Animal Control was investigating.

Animal Control Officer Brian Boman, who responded, said animal control officers have had past run-ins with the pit bulls, but couldn't say exactly how many.

The woman reportedly has a service dog of her own, which was in the house but uninjured.

The woman lives in an unincorporated area of Pierce County on the Key Peninsula.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-08-22 02:40:19

Oh my gosh! How awful! I can't imagine being awakened to that!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Interesting that the guy said that they're the kinds of dogs you'd let play with your babies, yet Animal Control is saying that it's not the first time they've had problems with these dogs.

These dogs need to be cared for and trained by a certain type of person. They need to be shown who the boss is and you can't back down. If you train them right I believe that they can be just as sweet as any other dog. Unfortunately they often fall into the wrong hands.

I truly believe there are certain breeds that should require an in-depth interview and possibly a REQUIREMENT to attend obedience training before you can purchase one. Pitbulls fall into this category. I am not dissing the breed so please don't take it that way. It's all in the training...that is my point. Something needs to be done and FAST!!!

This story is VERY SAD. A perfect example of irresponsible dog owners who should NOT have been allowed to own this type of dog. x(

All I will say is that as a RESPONSIBLE pit bull owner you do NOT leave them unattended in a backyard where they can get out. Nor should you leave ANY dog unattended where they can get out. But especially pit bulls. If you research the breed prior to ever getting the breed, that is one of the first things that is stressed because they are master escape artists, able to "climb" a 6 ft. WALL. That's just something that I vowed never to do 15 years ago when we got our very first pit bull. We have the sweetest pit bulls on the planet, but when you have pit bulls, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dobermans and any other strong dogs, you need to be responsible.

I'm not going to get into another big "pit bull debate" here, as I feel there has been enough of that lately, but just wanted to make that point.

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

I thought the newest pet doors were only accessible to the animal that wears the collar/key that "opens" the door.

I would think an "equal access" pet door would be an open invitation to anyone - dog, cat, human, squirrel, etc. - to enter your house.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.