Pilates video for pelvic floor?

FiddleFit

Cathlete
Hi! I'm looking for a pilates video that focuses on pelvic floor rehab. I'm new to pilates, so have no idea about good instructors or methods, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've recently developed a bulging disc in my lumbar spine, and my physio recommends strengthening the core. Crunches are out of the question, because they round my spine the way I'm not supposed to. I also have an extremely weak pelvic floor, which probably contributed to the development of the bulging disc. I need to get that whole lower pelvic area working right again!

Thanks!

Hi Sandra,

I know that you asked for a pilates DVD, but I thought I'd share an article with you I just read in Yoga Journal. It goes through the correct way to rehabilitate the pelvic floor in anything that you do, whether it be a yoga practice, pilates session, or regular exercise. The basic idea is that the ability to relax the pevlic floor is just as important as the ability to contract and strengthen. I suppose that's a very yogic philosophy :). Matching up the contraction/relaxation with your breathing is a very easy way to work on the problem and is mentioned in there.

Here's the article: http://www.yogajournal.com/health/2600?print=1

Good luck :)

Check out prenatal and postnatal yoga videos. They are easy on recovering bodies, and very much focus on your pelvic floor.
I really enjoyed Postnatal Yoga by Shiva Rea right after my son was born. It is very gentle.
HTH,

Thank you so much for your replies. I already do a fair amount of yoga, and love it. The Yoga Journal article was very helpful! I have most of Shiva Rea's dvds, but none of her pre/post natal ones. They might be worth looking into.

Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.