Pilates DVD suggestions

Shericbuck

Cathlete
I currently have Ultimate Yogi - 108 days and Horizontal Conditioning - Getting Started.

My dilemma.... I love them both my hubby does not like HC. (Makes his shoulders hurt.)

Hubby is getting bored with weights. I am trying to find something in between Yogi & HC for some upperbody/core that uses your body weight for strength exercises. I just want him to find something he likes until he gets back in the mood for weights.

Is that Pilates? or should I just let him take a break from strength for awhile. (he knows strength training is important...I'm tryng not to nag)

Any suggestions.

Pilates looks interesting just don't know anything about it.

Thanks
Sherry

Hi Sherry - I go to a Pilates class once a week and love it. A cross between 'power yoga' and HC is a very good way to think of it. It emphasises core strength a lot. I also do lots of squats with my feet in different positions - a real thigh burner. I'd say go for it!
That doesn't help you with a dvd decision, though! The only Pilates dvd I own is a 10 minute solution one. It does the job, but I'm sure there must be better ones out there.
I've had to back off UY a bit due to too much strain on my shoulders, so I empathise with your hubby.

Justine

I currently have Ultimate Yogi - 108 days and Horizontal Conditioning - Getting Started.

My dilemma.... I love them both my hubby does not like HC. (Makes his shoulders hurt.)

Hubby is getting bored with weights. I am trying to find something in between Yogi & HC for some upperbody/core that uses your body weight for strength exercises. I just want him to find something he likes until he gets back in the mood for weights.

Is that Pilates? or should I just let him take a break from strength for awhile. (he knows strength training is important...I'm tryng not to nag)

Any suggestions.

Pilates looks interesting just don't know anything about it.

Thanks
Sherry

I like Tracy Mallet for pilates.... she also has a lot of excellent barre workouts, but I'm not sure your hubby will go for that. :p It's challenging however and you'll definitely get a good workout and feel it the next day! I try to do pilates once a week and I like being able to take a break from all the heavy weights and equipment. Ilaria Montagnani has a body weight workout on her Atletica series - Ilaria's Atletica Volume 4 Body Weight Training. I have not tried this one but it seems to focus more on the upper body and core using just your body weight. I use her Bodystrike kickboxing workouts which you could probably use in conjuction to work the lower body. I believe Kelly Coffey has a body weight workout as well from her 30 min to fitness series (Body Training) that doesn't require equipment. I'm still learning my way around all of Cathe's workouts so I'm not sure what I could recommend from her...hopefully more Cathletes can help you there. :)

Thanks, for your replies. I am going to che ckeck out your suggestions. I may start with one of the 10 pilates dvd I have found on Amazon just to see if Hubby is interested.

The Kelly Coffey - body weight workout looks interesting. It is just so hard to buy anything but Cathe. We are interested in body weight workouts! Something different. Wish Cathe would come out with one.

Thanks again,
Sherry

If it's pilates you want for him, get this:

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Pilates-for-Men-3-DVD-Set-p/2089.htm

It's also here with reviews and a clip:

Pilates for Men 10-20-30 Challenge

Otherwise, think body weight exercises that lead into gym/weight training. He can get these from Men's Health, Men's Fitness magazines, so go online ad see what kind of exercise programs they have. It's your basic military type training: pull ups, push ups, squats, box jumps, sprints, and these magazines have articles on this type of training all the time. Their websites, particularly Men's Health, have their own DVDs they have made and books they have published that feature exercises from this type of training.

Clare

Clare, Thanks....just watched the 10-20-30 video with Hubby. I got ..."Cool" I would like that.

I'm also going to check out Men's Heath.

Thanks
Sherry

Thanks Stacy.

We watched the sample. Good Stuff. on a funny note....I told my hubby "look you will like him his hair looks like yours, LOL!"

Sherry

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.