Pikes and my son

cab54

Cathlete
My 20 year old sone, who's been home from college for a few days before he goes back, was watching me (try) to do pikes on the ball with PUB yesterday. He is on the college crew team, and they need a LOT of core strength. He was amazed that we mere women were doing this and thought the team would benefit from such an exercise. AND the women's team, whom he deems as 'kind of flabby and weak around the middle.' Hmm. Don't they teach moves like this to athletic teams? Did Cathe come up with some of these great core moves on her own and just for little ole us? If so, I think someone like Cathe would be great as a consultant for college athletic teams. Go Cathe!

But, he said, "Is there any way to do it besides on top of a goofy purple ball?" :7 I told him nope, but the balls do come in different colors.

I luv it. My 16yr old son came downstairs the other morning while I was doing HSTA. He says, "Wow, you've got your own self torture going on down here" and "those look hard". It was just very cute. He's the one that helps me out when learning some of the new moves like the pikes on the ball, the shoulder pushups with your feet on the high step. Keep in mind that he is very athletic and keeps in good condition. He once saw me browsing the forums at home and said he couldn't believe all these people work out to Cathe, we have our own cult.

Diana

Hi Cab...isn't is great when our kids realize how hard we workout! My 16yr old son has been doing PUB and told me the other day that "those pikes are tough but the worst is lifting one leg off the ball" Now he is quite athletic but I just couldn't believe he was doing the pikes. I had to see this for myself so I got my ball and asked him to show me. Sure enough, he pulled right up into a perfect pike. I couldn't hide my surprise because even though I can do the pikes, it took me longer to get them downx( Oh well, at least my DH is still trying to just stay on the ball without falling. Even my 13yr old DD is now becoming interested in weight lifting too. I'm really happy & proud that my love of fitness has rubbed off on my family.

JJ

We do the v-pikes in pilates mat class, but it's called the elephant. I suspect one could do the same move on pilates studio equipment like the reformer. So the v-pike isn't a Cathe exclusive.

It's surprising that your son's crew coaches aren't into core training. It would seem to be an essential part of any competitive athlete's training. He could put together his own routine with ideas from magazines like Men's Health or Outside. Several times a year they include a pretty tough core workout using stability balls, medicine balls, etc.

Guess you'd better find him a masculine looking ball ;)!

Debra

There is a way to do pikes without a ball. I've done them with grocery bags over my shoes and my hands on my step. Just pull up into a pike while sliding your feet in. Anything that will let you slide your feet in a controlled manner will work. :)

Sonja---great idea! I would have thought they'd have machines out for this sort of move by now, for the college athletes. But the bag idea works.

It is great that they are taking notice of how hard I work (and all of us do) at this. I wish my hubby would. :-( But, that is another story.

I think they do some kind of core/ab work---I'm sure they do, but he was just amazed at the pikes for their difficulty and effectiveness.

cab..

Someone here recently recommended Adam Ford's "Swiss Ball Abs". There's nothing girly or goofy about this DVD or (Adam Ford }( ) It looks perfect for your son (or you).

Check it out at Amazon.com. I don't know if there are other sources.

If I hadn't just ordered the hardcore series, Adam would be up in my workout room.

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.