PHd

lala1

Cathlete
Re: the thread about too old for education. I am almost 50 and am considering getting a doctorate. I noticed there were a few of you about my age range doing the same thing (Muffintop!). What obstacles do/did you face? Some of my considerations are having to take a leave of absence from my job, which means not only a loss of income, but the $ spent on classes, probably living away from home during the week, still having a 14 yr old at home. My DH solidly supports whatever decision I make (it was actually he who suggested I do this) Advice, please!!!

PS: my income after my doctorate actually wouldn't increase all that much!

Hi,

I'm 47 and just finished my Ed.D. about year ago. My kids are now 17 and 19, so they were about the age of your 14 year old when I started. I would think very hard about why you want to get the doctorate. I was on a grant program, so 75% of the tuition was paid and my parents paid for the rest. Still at 2800 per class it was a lot of $$. My income didn't increase much after getting the dr., but I wouldn't trade the experience. I learned alot about myself and I feel that I am a better all around person.

The draw back is that it requires a lot of thought, time, and energy. My program was 69 hours. It took me 4 years from start to finish. I prioritized my life and worked a full and part time job, worked out (to keep my sanity), spent time with my family, and worked on my education. I let EVERYTHING ELSE go. During the last few months of working on the dissertation I really thought I was going nuts.

If you'd like to chat, email me. [email protected].

Tracy

Hi,

I'm not in your age range and started working on my PhD right out of college, but I just thought I'd throw in some info that might clear things up. I don't know what field you are intending to study, but many PhD programs provide a student stipend. They are usually not large, but depending on where you live, you can usually live frugally but fairly comfortably. This might allay your concerns about loss of income- you will probably be making less than you were at you current job, but at least you would be making something. Also, most of the programs that I'm familiar with include a tuition-free scholarship, so the cost of classes might be almost nothing out of pocket for you. In terms of living away from home during the week, typically humanities programs involve lots of reading and research that can be done at home, with the exception of actually taking coursework, so you may not be stuck on a college campus monday thru friday.
Just to put this in perspective, I'm in a PhD program at University of Notre Dame, in Biological Sciences. I'm in my (gulp!) sixth year. My student stipend is $23k/year, and as part of admission includes a tuition waver of about $30K/year. For science, we take all of our coursework within the first two years, and spend the rest our time doing lab research under an advisor.
Keep in mind that all schools are a little bit different and there are even differences between departments. Arts/Humanities students spend a lot less time on campus once their course requirements are ment.
If you're serious about going back for a doctorate, I would suggest finding a professor that you are interested in doing your work with and contacting them. Professors who see that you are serious and show an interest will be advocates for you when your app is being reviewed by an admissions committee. It's always nice to have an 'in'.

sorry this was a bit long, i just had a similar conversation with a friend who is also contemplating grad school.

good luck!

cristina

I don't think you are too old to be get a PHd, in fact, I woud say go for it. I don't know much about the obstacles you would face, but I do know that if you don't take the chance and do this for yourself, you'll always wonder about what might have been. You have one life to live. Make sure that you can be all that you are. It doesn't matter about monetary increases, but how worthwhile you can make your present existence.

There's a little squib in this weekend's edition of "USA Weekend" about actor Peter Weller, age 59, who is a PhD candidate in Italian Renaissance art history. (He's also hosting the History Channel's new weekly series "Engineering An Empire".)

If Robocop can do it, so can you!

A-Jock

I just finished my Ph.D.(chemical education) in the summer of 2005 at the ripe old age of 37(it took me 5 years). I say, go for it! What have you got to lose--you will get older regardless of whether you earn your Ph.D. or not, so you might as well give it a try. Remember you can always try it and if you hate it, you can stop.

Good luck!

I was all set to go last year to get my Ed.D. and decided to DROP my first class on day 1 before I ever attended. I decided that since my pay wouldn't change much and I didn't have any job-related goals that required a doctorate, what was the point. It was purely for personal accomplishment reasons (and it would help me some in my job, but not enough to make it worth it). I figured I have enough to do in my life where I have personal goals and accomplishments and felt that FOR ME, my time was better spent on those things - things I truly enjoy. But that's just me. Oh - and since I work for a college, my tuition would have been paid (but not books, other fees etc., but what a deal!). That was another reason I thought I should take advantage of it. The reasons to do it were just not strong enough though.

Good luck with your decision.

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.