Personal Trainers...how much $$$ do you make

If you don't mind me asking an intrusive question...just trying to get a "feel". How much do you make? What is the "low/starting" end?

I've always wondered myself. I'm figuring if my gym charges $65 an hour the trainer is probably getting half that. I'm further figuring w/the 25 or so trainers at my gym they couldn't be working more than 4-5 hours per day, if that. So that's generously about $750 a week, or about $40k per year.

This doesn't factor in peak seasons either. I'm sure in January and May they're much busier, so maybe upwards of $50k?

Just an estimate, bearing in mind you don't get health bennies or retirement. I'm always doing the numbers b/c sometimes I feel like I've made a mistake not making fitness a career. But whenever I do the numbers I feel better. :)

It depends on where you work. Trainers who work for a gym generally make less than other trainers in the field, plus they have less control over their work as there is usually a training protocol in place at the gym. It is a good place to get experience when you're first starting out, something to put on your resume.

It also depends on your certification. If you are ACE certified or certified by the American College of Sports Medicine, you are certified by the two most respected organizations in the business. One of these certifications gives you a lot more credibility than some of the others that are out there.

Another thing trainers do is rent space in a studio or small gym. In return for the fee, the get to use the equipment, but get paid direcly by the client. Sort of like what some hairdressers do. You will have to have a lot of liability insurance and make very sure what your understanding with the studio is in terms of liability.

THEN, you can open your own studio or make housecalls. You can work one on one or with a small group. You will have to carry a huge amount of liablity insurance. There is a high start-up cost, but this is where you make the most money, eventually As with everything, what you make depends on where you live and how many clients you are able to take on. When I go into the gym where I intern, I'll check out what their fees are and post them.

Hopefully, this will be me once I take the exam a week from Saturday and get my results back in 6-8 weeks. EEEEEEK!!

--Lois

"Don't forget to breathe!"

Are you thinking of becoming a trainer? I would love to, but don't have the time now with young kids. But definately in the next few years I want to reach for that goal!

Lois, what all certifications do you need to get certified? And do college grads of sports or exercise science and konesiology (sp?)make more than only certifieds?

Missy

Hi Sarah,

As promised, here are some numbers. This is from a studio that does one-on-one and/or small group personalized training. It is owned by a husband and wife. There is a treadmill, an elliptical, several stationary bikes along with stability balls, bungee cords, resistance bands, free weights, body bars, etc. This is what they mostly use for training although there is a cable-resistance setup and some other things like that. I don't know what they charge when they come to your home. I also haven't had time to checkout what gyms pay.

One-on-One
Pay as you go $75/session
Package of 10 sessions - $650 ($65/session)
Package of 20 sessions - $1200 ($60/session)
Package of 30 sessions - $1650 ($55/session)

Buddy Training (2 clients/session)
Pay as you go - $45.00/client/session
Package of 10 sessions - $390/client ($39.00/client/session)
Package of 20 sessions - $720/client ($36.00/client/session)
Package of 30 sessions - $990.00/client ($33.00/client/session)

--Lois

I can tell you first hand that if you work at gym you don't get paid very much. I worked for a personal training company that subcontracted out of the gym. I got paid $12/hr for seeing clients and $7/hr for non-client time. When I was hired they made it seem like I'd be so busy with clients that the $7/hr wasn't going to be an issue - it was. I wasn't busy at all and therefore I was only making $7/hr most of the time. If clients cancelled you still didn't get the $12 - just the $7. It was horrible. If you didn't have any clients they expected you to either be cleaning equipment or going up to people who are working out and trying to convince them they need personal training. I hated it.

I am certifed through AFAA. I also taught classes to help supplement the money. At least with the classes I was getting paid $20/class.

If you don't care about the money they go for it. If you need a certain amount each week, I'd think about it.

Hope this helps!

Charlene

This sounds about right. Also, gyms go through personal trainers like crazy. I know that there was a huge startup cost with the studio I train in and a lot of overhead (rent, insurance, etc.) I am not planning to get rich doing this and I am very fortunate that it does not have to be our primary source of income. It will certainly help though.
--Lois

Rarely do gyms pay 50/50. I haven't found one yet. The large chains like 24-hour Fitness and Bally's are the worst!

I'm a Certified Personal Trainer (AFAA) and although I LOVE what I do, it is a really difficult way to make money.

The pros:

I love working with clients, meeting new people and helping them achieve their goals!

The cons:

The hours: To really make money, you need to work during the gym's peak hours which is 5:00 AM to 10:00 AM and 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. I cannot work these hours because I have two small children.

Unsteady pay - it's cyclical: In January you have an influx of the "New Year's Resolution" members, then it slows down around March, April, then it picks up again before the summer, then the summer vacation months are dead, then it picks up again around September and then slows down for the holidays.

Clients cancel - you drve to the gym for nothing.

Personal Training is a SALES position: You have to hustle for clients. I am assigned new member orientations and this is supposed to be my "pool" for getting new clients. Unfortunately, it's sometimes difficult to get ahold of these people. They don't return your calls.

It's expensive! You have to take classes, seminars to keep your certification current. It cost me about $450 to get my AFAA certification and it took almost 2 months for me to recoup that cost.

The trainers who make the most money are the ones who are good sales people, not necessarily the best trainers. Bally's and 24-hour fitness actually give their trainers lessons on how to "hook" clients. I work with a trainer who came from Bally's and her sales tactics are ruthless. If a potential client hesitates she says stuff like "Don't you want to look for good for your husband?" WTH!!!???? I would never say something like that. I think you should be fit for YOURSELF and no one else.

I've been doing this for about 7 months and I've come to the conclusion that I need a more steady-paying job. I'm working toward training privately in clients' homes while keeping a "regular" job.

I hope I didn't discourage you, but I was told when I started that there is a huge and constant turnover rate in personal trainers. Now I know why. Unfortunately, this is the reality of the personal training world unless you go into business for yourself.

>I've always wondered myself. I'm figuring if my gym charges
>$65 an hour the trainer is probably getting half that. I'm
>further figuring w/the 25 or so trainers at my gym they
>couldn't be working more than 4-5 hours per day, if that. So
>that's generously about $750 a week, or about $40k per year.
>
>This doesn't factor in peak seasons either. I'm sure in
>January and May they're much busier, so maybe upwards of
>$50k?
>
>Just an estimate, bearing in mind you don't get health bennies
>or retirement. I'm always doing the numbers b/c sometimes I
>feel like I've made a mistake not making fitness a career.
>But whenever I do the numbers I feel better. :)

If those estimates are correct than it doesn't sound that bad, most Americans would actually be happy at that. Money isn't everything.. :)

My long-term plan is to go into business for myself. I would like to work with a client population age 30+, menopausal and post-menopausal women, women trying to lose weight and women who just had babies and want to get back to pre-baby form. My interests are in strength building (bone density) and weight maintenance while going through menopause. My philosophy is one of making peace with one's body. That is what I consider a success.

But I need some experience first!!!!
--Lois

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.