People with carpet and step aerobics

Cassadine86

Cathlete
...is there any type of flooring you can put on top of the carpet to do step aerobics? I would hate to think that carpet will limit me from doing step aerobics.

I have done step and hi/lo on carpet for years. If you feel unstable with a move, just modify. Working out on a wood floor has always been my dream.

Cheryl

>I have done step and hi/lo on carpet for years. If you feel
>unstable with a move, just modify. Working out on a wood
>floor has always been my dream.
>
>Cheryl

I have great hardwood floors and a good amount of space. Problem is that I live in an older house and the floors tend to be kinda slopey in places!!

I also do step on my carpet. At first, I was having problems with the torque on my ankles, so I tried putting down puzzle mats. That worked for my ankles, but then I developed some knee problems because the mats caused an unstable surface so my knees were having issues. I ditched the puzzle mats and investing in really good cross trainer shoes with great ankle support and haven't had any problems with either since!

I'll be a bit abnormal here (when am I not??)! I do step in jazz shoes...Yes, the kind I wore in dance class 15 years ago! Tennis shoes for weights, jazz shoes for aerobics (any kind)...They turn well since they have a leather sole...It's almost barefoot...Have had less footie and ankle problems since I started doing that, too...

MJ in MN

I have used carpet before also ... just be extra cautious on pivots and other quick-type turns ... your foot can drag ... other than that ... no problems. Deb

I have a problem with the step making my carpet very dirty. I think the black rubber from the top of the step comes off on my shoes and then gets transferred to the carpet.

I have no problem with doing step aerobics on a carpet, either. I would point out that I work out in a finished basement, and the carpeting is very low pile. Don't know if that matters or not.

MissL

I also do step on my carpet. I have no problem with the step (Reebok Step) making my carpet dirty. My feet hurt less on the carpet.
Belinda

I actually prefer the carpet. Well, rug actually. I usually do step on my hardwood floors but since I started doing circuit now I just move the stupid coffee table to the other side of the room so everything's centralized.

Ever since my knees have felt so much better! I have really good padding under my rug & I can't believe the difference. If I had the time & energy I'd do all my step on my rug instead of just sliding the sofa out of the way on the hardwood.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.