Penzey's spices

berry99

Cathlete
I belong to a cooking bulletin board and everyone on there raves about Penzey's spices and I never really thought much about it. However, I found a store here in Colorado and decided to check it out.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

Wow, they have really great stuff. I bought a Bold Taco Seasoning and mixed it with ground turkey breast and the tacos are to die for!

Anyway, I also bought this Cake Spice, which has China cinnamon, star anise, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and cloves. I put it on my oatmeal this morning and it was so good! Really better than anything I have ever put on oatmeal.

They have a couple of different cinnamons too and they smell delish. I bought two of them but haven't used them yet. I managed to control myself enough last weekend but I am ready to go back again :)

Anyone else use Penzey's and have any recommendations for other spices to try?

There double vanilla is wonderful. They say you can use half the amount for your recipies, but I always use the double strength and it is wonderful. My mother has also purchased their vanilla beans, and made her own vanilla. :9 Most of their rubs are great too. Love the cajun one for fish.

Laurie

Hi! I'm glad to meet another Penzey's fan! I lived in Memphis when a Penzey's opened, and fell in love! I couldn't get over how inexpensive the small jars were especially for the high quality. I live in SW FL now, and there's no Penzey's close by...BUT I go back to Memphis to visit my family 3 or 4 times a year and always stock up at Penzey's. LOL

One of my favorite spice mixes is the Hot Curry Powder...the mild is very good too. My BIL is in love with the fried chicken seasoning, but I can't remember right now exactly what they call it. x( I like the Italian blend, but recently tried the Spanish version and it's MUCH better with a beautiful bright flavor.

Cake Spice on oatmeal is sheer genius!!

Hubby is a big penzey's fan. He orders online from them on a regular basis. He recommends Tuscan Sunset and Sandwich Sprinkle.

I've known about Penzey's for years but I've never had the opportunity to try their stuff. There are only 2 Penzey's stores in all of Ohio and, unfortunately, both locations are far away x(

I believe Cook's Illustrated has rated them highly -- or was it Williams Sonoma? Maybe I'll order some online!

I LOVE the Baking Spice and Chinese Cassia cinnamon. And the double strength vanilla extract is to die for. I also recommend the English Prime Rib Rub for beef & pork. The pasta sprinkle is good too - I've been putting it on steamed veggies.

I'm gradually replacing ALL my spices w/ Penzey's - their quality for the price is AWESOME!

Happy eating :9

My entire spice pantry is filled with Penzey's. We have a store here in CT. I love their Northwoods Seasoning and dried Ancho Chili Peppers. The store spices don't hold a candle to Penzey's, and you can't beat the prices either!

I love Penzey's spices. They have a store here in CT in the next town. (I'm so lucky) You can go nuts just looking at them all. I love their greek seasonings, it is wonderful for marinades and I make the greek dressing for my greek salad and is fantastic. I also use their cajun spice as marinade for grilled shrimp Yum! Also have done the shrimp and scallops with the southwest which is delish also. Now i'm getting hungry.

Jen

Thanks for your replies. I really just can’t believe how great these spices are and they are so inexpensive. I have been browsing on the internet trying to decide what to pick up this weekend. Here’s my list.

Vanilla extract
Greek seasoning
Cajun seasoning
Fajita Seasoning
Ozark Seasoning
Northwoods Seasoning

I am hoping to stick to this list because I think that it will complete my spice cabinet nicely. Now I want to hurry up and finish up the junky spices to replace them with Penzeys.

Happy Cooking!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.