Pentagenarians & Beyond: WkB 2/10

One of the problems is in efforts to reduce vehicle weight and icrease gas mileage, windshields are not as heavy as they used to be. I get a crack in every new windshield. the cracked windshield will then last forever. its some kind of rule of nature. we must be unlucky because driving on gravel roads is not the problem, I always get hit on the freeway.

it looks like we are done with snow for a while, as soon as the 2 feet of it melts. we are tired of no mail, garbage pick up, newspaper. it is just above freezing and foggy and drizzly, but supposed to be warmer during the day. we keep our hummingbird feeders going and see a lot of activity. they are on the feeder before we can hang it up in the morning.

when I got the new snow shovel this week, there were 2 types. both had regular straight handles. maybe weird handle was an idea that didn't take off. my DH is not that much taller, 5'6". he uses the bent shovel but didn't especially like it. I'm 5'2". not getting taller.

Last edited:
This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts, for 45 minutes and 341 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 161.

Deb, it was smart to do upper body only from PHA 2 since it caused hip and knee pain last time. We all have to make adjustments and do what works while still getting a good workout.

Diane Sue, great job with LiTe Metabolic Calorie Crush and Coffeyfit Raw Intervals. Your game day sounds like a lot of fun. It’s great to get together with friends and just enjoy yourself. The GPS can be very frustrating. I still like to look at my map when traveling to unfamiliar places. The GPS serves as a back up, but many times I ignore the directions given.

Lori, I like the Body Weight and Bands workout more than I thought that I would. I had my flu shot and pneumonia shot on the same day. My doctor didn’t think that it was a problem to do so.

Hi to Valerie and Judy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Coffey Fit Raw Strong and Lean 45 minutes alternates between cardio, strength, and kettlebell rounds Not real hard cardio segments and not too much high impact.
Kelly uses a 33# barbell for most of it, 10# dumbbells, and a 20# kettlebell for kettlebells swings and figure 8's.
Strong and Lean was 47 minutes as I decided after starting with 35# barbell to move to a 45# for the squats so two sets, heart rate average124, max 165, 319 calories, met 8.0. I then did Lite Abs #2, 11 minutes, 44 calories, met 5.0, heart rate average 108, max 139, and finishing with Raw foam roller stretch, 24 minutes, met 2.3, 60 calories.
Total time 82 minutes, 427 calories, 2,575 steps.
warm up about 6.5 minutes
cardio punches/squat hops, then just punches front, up, low and all 3
barbell squats35# then did it with 45# my weight 10 reps
kettlebell 25# 20 reps double hand swings
cardio skate hop side to side ending in just hop side to side
biceps curls 45# barbell my weight 10 reps
kettlebell single arm swings 10 and 10 reps 25#
cardio shuffle then mountain climbers hands on barbell
deadlift Kelly used barbell I used 45# barbell 10 reps
kettlebell swings alternating 10 reps 25#
cardio cardio insole slaps/butt kicker jog then just butt kicker jog
clean from the hip I lowered the bar to 35# here 10 reps dropped from 45# here
figure 8 kettlebell swings 20 reps 25#
cardio wood chop center and side to side then just center with jumps
Thrusters 45# barbell 10 reps
double swing kettlebell 25# 20 reps
cardio punches with a tuck jump
barbell bentover rows 45# barbell
alternating kettlebell swings 20 reps
cardio lateral step shoot ending with 8 reps of just shoot
dumbbell kickbacks I used 12# dbs 10 reps
kettlebell double hand swings 25# 20 reps/ alternating swings 25# 20 reps/ figure 8 25# 20 reps
cardio punch and skater , butt kicker jog, step side shoot
deadlift high pull 45# barbell 10 reps/clean from the hip push press 45# barbell 10 reps (a bit difficult on the cleans at 45)
abs and glutes
feet on barbell bridge 20 reps and then 20 pulses
feet under the bar sit ups 20
bench press 20 reps wide, then 20 reps close grip 45# barbell

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

This week I've been doing Spinervals and yesterday I did Muscle Endurance, my old favorite. We were lucky Tuesday and did not lose power even though there were quite a few outages. It snowed all day today and the roads were horrible. It took Chris almost 2 hours to get work. Normally it takes less than 30 minutes. I will be starting a part time job at Home Depot this spring. It's a seasonal position in the garden dept. so it won't start right away. I interviewed last Friday and was called yesterday. I go in tomorrow to fill out some paper work and then I'll find out when I start. I'll probably have to go in sooner for training but the garden dept. definitely won't be open for a few weeks at least.

Deb-I'm sorry about PHA2 bothering your hip and knee. It was a good idea to do the Upper Body Only premix yesterday. I agree about there being too many workouts to choose from! I love LiTe, but I felt like doing some older workouts this week. I think I will do a Gym Style workout tomorrow.

Valerie- I'm sorry you've had so much snow! Like Deb said, it's expected here. Two hours of shoveling is an incredible workout!

Carolyn-Great workouts this week! I know I've done Cardio Quick Fix at least once but I don't remember it. I'll have to get it out and do it again.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw Strong & Lean! Great weights too! I'm sorry about your granddaughter. I hope she feels better soon.

Lori-I love the Stacked workouts too! All of the workouts in this series are great! My left knee was bothering me last week but it's back to normal now.

Have a good night!

Judy

Judy it actually was way more than 2 hours. Both DH and I did a huge amount of work, but we broke it up with coffee breaks and lunch. there was no rush. so weird to have it all melt off so quickly, but we were not sure about the weight of heavy wet snow on decks and our camper, and we cant use our driveway ( uphill) if its not shoveled. I thank Cathe for the array of upper body workouts that let me do this with almost zero discomfort. tired but not sore. we get a year like this occasionally, sort of malevolent pay back for the snow free years. Congrats on the new job. Around here, Lowes has most of the garden business, but it varies a lot with store location. the Bozeman MT home depot had a lot more garden supplies than the ones here.

I also did the Bands and Body Weight for the first time. I was impressed with how worked I felt. especially triceps and chest. legs not so much, but will wait for tomorrow to be sure.

Good morning,

PT yesterday, that was my exercise for the day. The evaluation showed improvement in my hip, and he is going to work on my knee, (same leg) now. I am not sure what happened, it feels like it was hyperextended...it may be the ottoman I use when sitting on the couch. I am consciously going to try to not use it, and see if it helps. He did say that I can start using the exercise bike, very light tension, starting at 10 minutes.

Valerie, glad your snow is finally seeing an end. that is strange about your getting those cracked windshields. I think I had one on one car only, many years ago.

Diane Sue, I like the format of that Coffe Fit Raw that you did, especially adding a KB. I tried to use my Cathe weighted gloves yesterday, the same ones you mentioned in an earlier post with the zippers on the top of your hand to add the little sand bags....cannot get one to open, the zipper is stuck and nothing I tried got it to unzip. Any suggestions?

Carolyn, I know you and Linda (Garance) have done KCM's Cardio Quick Fix (both workout premix)..and I have always been tempted to get that so that I have another cardio workout that is not the treadmill. Is it low impact or easily modified? We used my cousin's GPS Saturday when we went to the play...it took us on such a roundabout route, very strange, back streets we had never been on before.

Judy, congratulations on the new job! How long do you think the season lasts? Through the fall? I think the moves in the PHA2 workout for lower body and not very "knee" friendly.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Last edited:
Deb, I got windshields replaced regularly when I had company cars. I used to get a rock ding filled/patched before the crack would run. our personal cars we finally quit replacing unless the crack was interfering with sight line. the Outback we traded in had a cracked windshield within a week of getting the car. it was the first time I drove it, got a rock ding on the freeway. the crack ran before I got home with groceries. so much for a pristine new car!
so far our new forester is OK for a year, some sort of a record for us. our truck is cracked . my older Forester has had a crack for 10 years. as long as I get one crack.... its like I'm protected from future cracks, but always the first one. they are always single line cracks low on the windshield. I must have had at least 25 cracked ones with all the cars we've had. used to be fast and easy to replace. or repair. I used to get the pits filled before they ran if I could. now I just ignore it. its usually below my sign line.
think we will try to ski today.

Today I did Total Body Giant Sets, no Round 5 premix. I needed to save a little time, but I also wanted to skip the side slide pick up lunges and sweeper lunges. I have to be very careful with them. My time was 52 minutes with 255 calories burned. Average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Deb, that’s great that your hip is showing improvement. You have graduated to the exercise bike! I remember that Lynda also did Cardio Quick Fix. Workout one is a straight forward low impact workout with typical KCM athletic type cardio. Workout Two is a little more intense with some higher impact moves, but nothing like Cathe. There is a modifier in both workouts.

Judy, I totally understand wanting to do an older workout. I like going back to them too. Congratulations on your new part time job. Working in the Home Depot garden center should be enjoyable.

Valerie, nice job with Body Weight and Bands workout. I have had several windshield dings too. I think it’s a hazard of freeway driving. I also had debris from a dump truck to fall on my moon roof and crack it. That was very frightening.

Hello to Diane Sue and Lori.

Hi Everyone,

Today I did Gym Style - Back, Shoulders, Biceps & Triceps.

Deb-I'm not sure if it's through fall. I have an orientation next week and will probably learn more then. I'm glad your hip is better. I wonder if it was PHA2 that bothered my knee too. I'll have to watch out for that the next time I do it.

Valerie-That is a lot of work, all the shoveling. I agree, Cathe's upper body workouts really help build strength for activities like that. Body Weight and Bands is a good one. We get a lot of windshield dings here too. We've had to have them replaced a few times.

Carolyn-Thanks! I think it will be a good part time job. Great job with Total Body Giant Sets! That would be so scary to have debris crack your moon roof!

Hi to Diane Sue and Lori!

Judy

This morning I did Lite Cardio Party mish mosh #7 mix double it 65 minutes, met 8.20, 436 calories, 6,385 steps heart rate average 135 average, 163 max. I then did Kelly Coffey Body Design weighted boxing segment, 13 minutes, 86 calories, heart rate 127 average, 154 max, 1,154 steps. I finished with Body Design Yoga 13 minutes, met 2.5, 36 calories, 48 steps. Total time was 91 minutes, 558 calories. 7,587 steps. I still have my granddaughter here today. I think she is better.

My daughter too off tomorrow since my granddaughter is still running a low grade fever.
The weather was so nice today. It was in the 60's and supposed to drop tonight and tomorrow into freezing temps.

Judy, that is great that you got the seasonal job at Home Depot. I would think the garden area would be a nice spot to work. I could see it being a bit before they are ready for that area though since it is usually primarily outdoors. The Lite Pyramid lower bothered my knees.

Valerie, it seems like the Home Depot nearest us has a lot more plants and gardening stuff than the Lowes near us. We go to Home Depot more than we do Lowes though. It is more convenient.

Deb, I have to be careful how I sit with my knees. Extending them straight out when sitting and putting my feet on the coffee table makes them start hurting. The same happens when I sit on the tall bar stool and let my legs hang loose. My knees will start to hurt. I tried the weighted glove after the first would not unzip. It was stuck as well. I went back and tried later and it still did not work. I was afraid of pulling the zipper pull off like I did on the first one. I was wondering if some spray lubricant or something would get it working. Maybe I should look on the internet and see what can be done. No ideas really though. I didn't want to break the zipper. I really like some of Kelly's workouts. That one has been a favorite for weight and I do like the kettlebell swings. She says you can do other types of work with the kettlebell, but she kept it to basic moves.
Well the new that the hip is improving is positive news. Sorry about the knee.

Carolyn, that was a nice choice for the premix to skip those sliding moves. I never purchased the cardio quick fix. Maybe one day I will get that one too.

Around here, Lowes has the corner on plants and garden, and HD barely has anything. but when we were in Bozeman last summer it was the opposite. HD had the serious gardening section. they had 20x what Lowes had. so must depend on who stakes out the garden section first. they have put small plant and garden centers out of business.

have you tried any "slippery" spray on the zipper? like silicone spray, HD 40, or even Pam? try grabbing the zipper pull with a pliers.... both directions. sometimes you can get a hold of the zipper pull, and pull the fabric underneath back or forward rather than the zipper. Or if you can get it open a little ways and pull the weight out, you will be able to maneuver better especially if some zipper placket fabric is caught underneath. I

we xc-skied for about 45 min. it was not nice. too much snow. we were sinking to our knees. the place we wanted to go some jerk parked there and took the whole space, and proceeded to do nothing but wander around chopping branches with a hand axe. probably planned on sitting all day with a fire, and that is the only place to park and get out of the one lane road. Jerk. "looney-bin" stuff.
I picked up our mail for the last week. later I did Cardio supersets. so that was enough.

Carolyn, I had the rear window on a station wagon explode while I was sitting at a stop light. I thought someone took a shot at me. there was a huge KABOOM and the glass shattered and fell inside the tailgate. something about the tempered glass. it was scary. I thought someone shot out the window. the moonroof would be WAY worse.

Good morning,

No exercise yesterday.

Valerie, sorry your ski attempt didn't work yesterday. Maybe I don't get windshield cracks/dings because I do so little freeway ( or "thruway" as we call it here...:)) driving. What caused that window to explode? That had to be really scary!

Carolyn, thanks for the info on the KCM. I need to take a look at that one. I like how Kelly has kept up with having a modifier in her workouts.

Judy, do you know what your schedule at Home Depot will be like? days? weekends? Hopefully you will be assigned to the outside area, that would be great in the summer. :)

Diane Sue, I hope your granddaughter feels better soon. The weather swings in all areas of the country are so bad right now. Wow, I wonder if I really made my knee worse when I did that PHA2 lower body? It has a lot of stuff that you can feel in your knees. I need to get some penetrating oil from John and try it on those zippers. I hate to have to buy new gloves when these are perfectly good, except for the zipper. They do have the exact ones on Amazon though.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb, I read on wiki that you can use different lubricants; bar of soap, petroleum jelly, chapstick, crayon, are a few. Also they had a section that said try working a point of a graphite pencil around the teeth as a dry lubricant. They did this and gently worked the zipper up and down to try to get it moving.
Deb, I just know with the Pyramid Lite, the first two times my knee and hip hurt afterward. The third time was better as I lowered the weight and modified those gliding disk moves.

Deb ...Diane sue is right. Use something easier to wash out. I’ve used pan spray to make things slippery. even WD 40 comes with the little red straw device to focus the spray so it doesn’t get all over.
if it doesn't move, and if I should, use WD-40. if it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.

I never knew what happened with the window. it was tempered glass( like all car windows) so crumbled into little chunks and filled the tailgate area. Glass must have been defective or suffered some sort of hit I was not aware of. it was a scare for sure. really glad I was stopped at a light and not on the highway. it made a loud exploding sound as it broke. there is something about tempered glass being under tension.

It's probably is freeway driving. We can hardly go anywhere without getting on the interstate. even little pebbles at hwy speed kills off windshields quickly. it used to be that you'd get little rock pits that could be patched and filled before they ran, but newer windshields seem to crack across almost immediately.

Last edited:
Today I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 291 calories burned. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Both Lowe’s and Home Depot have large garden departments here. I always preferred going to the local garden center, but the owner passed away 2 years ago and the center closed. I really miss that personal touch from someone who knew us.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful afternoon.

This morning I did Cathe Lite Metabolic mish mosh #6 standing double it + calorie crush + floor, 71 minutes, met 8.20, 518 calories, 3,100 steps. I then did the Lite extended stretch #2, 11 minutes, met 3.5, 32 calories. Total time 82 minutes, 550 calories, 3,110 steps.
It took awhile because I realized after starting that the workout cards that I had printed out were not correct in the guide book. I had to download the updated guide book and went to print the workout cards and realized I was using my husband old computer and it was not set for my printer. By the time I got that straightened out, it did not just print just the pages I needed like I had set it for. Instead it printed the whole user guide:oops: I finally just left it till it had printed and went back to the workout. Wasted time there!!
Weights today
curl press with lunge/side lunge with abduction 8# dbs
one arm snatch 10# db
4 jabs up/4 jabs across/ 4 leg abductions/squat 5# dbs
forward leaning rear delt fly with curl press 8# dbs
squat lunge/squat press 10# dbs
8 pass under lunges/ 8 traveling lunges 10# dbs 3 sets
squat with two small jumps/ lunge kick lunge stand10# dbs
cross back lunge with lateral raise/ 1 front raise/ upright row 8# dbs
3 squat press / 1 goal post press/ 2 singles 8# dbs
rear lunge with torso twist 8# dbs
alternating biceps curls with leg extension 10# dbs
front /lateral raise with calf pumps 5# dbs
scare crow lifts with hamstring curls 5# dbs
repeat all of that a second time
floor:
side plank with front angle rear delt raise 3 sets of the moves then ending with 8 reps repeat on other side 5# db then dropped to 3# on the last 8 reps (was making my neck and shoulder hurt
weighted sit ups 8# dbs
chest fly with glute squeeze 8# dbs
press and pull over 8# dbs
swimmers lying prone (this was not on the workout card) body weight
weighted sit ups

Valerie, that would have been so frightening have the glass explode like that. Sorry about the cross country skiing. People can be so inconsiderate of others. My daughter just got a new Cadillac SUV last month and the first day driving on the freeway a truck full of sand pitted her paint driving in front of her. I don't drive on freeways much so I have not had a problem. It is my husband that usually gets the cracks and pits in his windshields.

Carolyn, I just really like doing the Cardio Party workout. No dread and I get a lot of steps and burn decent calories with it. Nice work. They have a TLC nursery just up the street from Home Depot and they have a lot of nice quality plants and is preferable for trees and shrubs.

There is usually enough room for several cars to park near this particular trail, but we got a huge dump of snow, and the forest service didn't plow many turnouts. road is too narrow to park on the side. just annoying because this guy was not going anywhere so didn't need to take the only spot. oh well. he was there first. there was so much snow we were wallowing. it will settle down and get better in a while. our snow down here is melting but still big piles all over. roads are mostly clear now.

Carolyn, we had a local nursery that closed a couple years ago, due to a divorce sale. we got most of our plants and trees there, a huge place with great choices. we really miss it. always a great place for advice and great choices. there are still some small family type nurseries around but they are getting squeezed by the big box stores, groceries, and pharmacies. seems like everyone sells plants in spring.

I didn't do a workout yet today so maybe I will do Cardio party again too. I've only done it once now and as long as I keep away from the fancy step I will do OK.

Today I did Pyramid Lower Body (the Intensity Series one) and LiTe Extended Stretch 1. It got really cold again today but fortunately we didn't have any more snow.

Deb-I don't know what days I will have but I was told it would be a 6 am - 10 am shift. I think that will work really well as I will be able to workout after work and it won't interfere with anything if I have to work weekends.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Party! I still have to try that one.

Diane Sue-Great workout today!

Hi to Valerie & Lori!

Have a good night!

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.