Pentagenarians & Beyond: WkB 2/10

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, except for agility class with Kylee.. Went to a dinner theater play last night that my niece was in. It is called "Tina &* Tony's Wedding". It is one of those interactive plays, where you are part of the production by virtue of being the guests of the wedding. Lots of improve, and the actors getting involved with the guests. The play was fun, but too much like a regular wedding to me. I would rather go to a play that has a stage and a script, with normal auditorium seating.

Valerie, we do the same with paper products, get them from B.J's ( our form of Costco). We have 2 of those bent shovels, and John likes them so I know we will not be buying a straight one for a while.

Judy, nice combination of workouts last week.

Hi to Lori, Diane Sue & Carolyn,

Take care,

Good morning ladies!

Finished 2nd week of Lite/Ice rotation. 2 more weeks to go. I like this rotation and glad this is the one I selected. Easier on the weights, especially since I am also working out with Chelsie several days a week.

Went for my annual physical on Friday. I have a new primary care (old one moved. :( ) talk about feeling old...this was the first time I met her and she was extremely nice and thorough, but sooo young! I swear she is not even 30. She may be older, but not by much. I had lab work that will be in next week, plus 3 shots. Yikes. In right shoulder, flu and tetanus and left shoulder was my second pneumonia shot. (I did not even remember I had a 1st!). My shoulder is killing me from the pneumonia shot. Wow it hurt going in and still very sensitive today. Anyone have this shot? Yesterday was Metabolic Blast and I kept the same weight as cathe. Did not want to aggravate things.

Valerie...I love dance workouts. Didn’t always. When I started with BBS I signed on mainly for the trampoline workouts. Then one day decided to do a dance one and wow!! They went right, I went left! It was very comical. I stuck with it and now I am so much better and enjoy it. I bought all 5 of her dvd’s. Fun workouts.

Looks like everyone has done some great workouts! I will be back later today to read thru all in more detail.

Lori-I had the first pneumonia shot and my shoulder was very sore afterwards. It only lasted a few days though.
We have a new primary care doctor too. Our old one retired last summer.

Hello Everyone,
Today is my rest day. It’s cold and gray here with rain coming in later today. Two days ago it was 80 degrees—crazy weather. I don’t think that I talked about my friend’s daughter being murdered on New Years Eve because it’s been such a painful thing to discuss. This was the oldest of her two children, only 24. The police just charged someone with the murder on Thursday.

Deb, it sounds like you had a fun evening at the dinner theatre. I’ve never been to a play where the audience becomes a part of the story. I would also prefer just a regular play.

Lori, I had a pneumonia shot last year and I only had a small amount of soreness in my arm. I need to ask my doctor about the second shot. I’m glad that you are enjoying the LiTe/ICE rotation. I’m doing the LiTe/Strong and Sweaty rotation because I wanted to add heavier weights.

Waves to Judy, Diane Sue, and Valerie.

I've had two pneumonia shots. a few years ago now, nothing real memorable. I get my flu shot in oct and remember being a bit sore with this last one. have DTP a few years ago too. I'm going to try again for the new shingles vaccine. nobody had any available last fall. I had the first singles shot (zostavax) several years ago and got sore from it. I'm going to check on the shingrix one but I believe medicare doesn't cover it entirely. its more effective but was in very short supply. I think its a series of two shots and whatever vaccine they had left they held for people who'd had the first shot in the series.

I did stacked upper body again last night. tried to go xc ski this morning but although we have a lot of snow at our house, the place in the mountains had way less. not enough. we picked the wrong destination. will do an indoor workout, probably a spin. ETA did Pedal power premix for 40 min.

my job tomorrow is to call around and find another snow shovel if anyone has a delivery. we are concerned the one we are using will not last a lot longer. I want a straight handle. maybe this ergonomic crap works for tall people, but its close to unusable for me. yes Deb, you scoop up snow and before you can move it, the shovel twists sideways and dumps it.

Carolyn, I don't remember you mentioning that. how sad. I hope catching the responsible person will help even a teeny bit.

Last edited:
I guess I typed this earlier and forgot to post it. Or it did not get through because I kept getting the pop up saying oops I have to wait so long and I would wait and still get the oops. Maybe I forgot to come back when my daughter called and I needed to run to the store before her and the children came over. I am keeping my granddaughter tonight as she is still getting over a stomach virus.

This is my normal rest day/stretch. I did Lite abs #2 and stretch#2 before church this morning. This was 21 minutes, 75 calories.

Deb, the play was and improv was probably fun since your niece was in it. Yes, it would be more entertaining with a script and story line.

Lori, my favorite primary care physician moved to the country so her husband can farm. I really liked her so much and she was always wanting to discuss fitness and exercise with me. I hated to see her go. My latest is good and I am happy at the moment. They are all younger than me ;) The original doctor that opened the clinic retired recently. His daughter works there and one of the PA's bought it out.
The pneumonia shot does make the shoulder hurt for awhile. My dr office always says to wait a month after the flu shot to get the pneumonia vaccine. I need to go back in and get it, but I will wait till there are less flu and viral cases headed in to the office. I always go in ahead of time and get my labs done so they will be back when I go in for my yearly physical. I do not usually need an appointment for labs, but I call and check to see if she is busy first.

Carolyn, that is terrible about your friend's daughter. I am sure it was such a shock and really hard to talk about. I am glad they have found the person who did it. We have had such up and down weather here as well.

Valerie, good luck finding the right snow shovel.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Lite PHA 2. I left my sheet downstairs, and I don't remember the time and calorie count.

Lori, sorry about the shots and your pain. I have never had one of those shots. I didn't know that the pneumonia shot could result in so much pain afterwards. Yes, it's kind of shocking when you start seeing doctors that are that much younger than us.

Carolyn, so sorry to hear about your friend's daughter. That is so sad. Little solace, but good that they arrested someone.

Valerie, good luck with your hunt for a straight old fashioned shovel!

Hi to Diane Sue, and Judy,

Take care,

snowing yesterday and last night. I almost don’t want to see how mUch more is out there . There is more coming today and tomorrow. Wow. This has happened before but not for several years. It gets too high to pile up near the garage, but so sometimes we need to move the stack, so that when it melts it goes into the drain and doesn't puddle in front of the garage doors.
we are not set up to handle this much . We have not lost power, which makes it better than it could be. Luckily there have been breaks of clearing so we can keep shoveling. best of all we don’t have to drive to work. Everything is canceled... schools mail deliveries etc. we actually got a paper this morning so maybe other areas didn't get as much. widely varying amounts. now that its light out, I think there is another 3 inches. blech.

Last edited:
Today I did Ramped Up Upper Body for 57 minutes and 305 calories burned. My average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 155. Thanks to all of you for your condolences on behalf of my friend.

Deb, nice job with PHA 2. How is your hip feeling these days?

Valerie, I heard that Seattle has a record amount of snowfall. It’s good that you still have power.

Hi to Lori, Diane Sue, and Judy.

I had my granddaughter overnight as she was getting over a virus and needed to stay home from school. Last night she started running a 101 fever at 10:30 and then this morning it was 103o_O So I contacted her mother and my daughter that is a PA to see if I could give her an Advil since she is 11. I took her to the urgent care as her mother was already to head out to work and taking off as a teacher can be a bit difficult. It ends up she has the flu. They were going to start with a strep test and I suggested flu so they did both. Anyway, she has the flu. They called in Tamiflu for her, but she has had it a bit and it is borderline if it will help or not. My other daughter bought over some Tamiflu for my husband and I since some people seem to be getting the flu that have had the flu shot. The doctor said she has had a few cases that had the flu shot and their symptoms were milder. My son in law left ours on the brick wall of our fence rather than come in the house. My daughter is going to ask to take off work tomorrow. I have my ladies game day, but would have canceled it if she needed me to.
My workout was short this morning since I wanted to be ready to get her in to either her doctor or urgent care which is closer. I did the Lite Metabolic workout without the bonuses which I had planned to add to it. This was 42 minutes, heart rate average 114, max 157, 1,412 steps, met 7.8, 267 calories. I discovered the user guide that I printed up originally was missing part of the workout card for metabolic blast so I did not write anything down. I used a bit heavier weights throughout. 8's mostly and sometimes 10's.

Deb, nice job on getting PHA in today.

Valerie, I hope the bad weather lets up for you soon. That sounds like a really lot of snow. We just have a little drizzle here today. It is warmer than it has been.

Carolyn, nice calorie burn with Ramped Up Upper body.

It is kind of a mess here. supposed to get more snow over the next few hours. its warmish right now and a lot of melting, but the stuff on the roads is pounded down and compacted and not leaving anytime soon. as long as it freezes hard at night it will be hanging around. we found a snow shovel this morning and ran to the hardware store to get one before they sold out. We are north of seattle, up in elevation so we usually have more snow if there is any. this is the worst pile up we've had in several years. by mid day roads are pretty decent but freezing every night so the morning is rough. it might turn to rain on top of the snow and create a even bigger mess. still snowing, but supposed to switch to rain , maybe... isn't winter fun....:mad::oops:

ETA did the Lite metabolic again today. it isn't that hard but I think a lot of the little minor tweaked moves interfere with the intensity. if I am too busy switching up moves, I am not inclined to reach for a heavier weight. I would much rather do 8 reps of one move versus shuffle positions a few times during the process. I went thru it better this time but the same things bothered me. I will modify to consistent moves but higher weight.

Last edited:
Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I think I overdid it with the lower body exercises in the PHA2 workout. My hip, but more my knee were really bothering me.

Valerie, wow, you are getting an east coast storm! John said he read that they had snow in Hawaii...Yikes! Glad you found one of the "good" shovels...LOL...

Carolyn, nice that you are sticking with the rotation. My hip is maybe a little better....hard to tell, as I have ok days, and bad days. Going for the evaluation tomorrow at PT.

Valerie, I hope your granddaughter is better today. How was the Ladies game day? I got a really bad case of the flu the one and only time I had a flu shot. This was in the early 70's. Have not had one since, and have not had a case of the flu, anything like that.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

oh blech!. another 6 inches of wet gloppy snow. there is a warmer wet front battling with the persistent cold front. we are still in the "cold" part. we wanted to go to the court date this morning but no way can we get this all shoveled in time. wildly inconsistent weather conditions around the area. we are going to start shoveling shortly. our neighbor got a Fed ex delivery (his medical supplies) and they left the package down on the road. he drove down to get it, could not drive back up his driveway. we were going to help him get the car back up but not with another 6 inches of snow. he will be parked there until it thaws.
Deb sorry to hear you over did. I can ignore upper body and core soreness, but legs ...hard to work around. I got sick from what I thought was a flu shot once a long time ago. I've been consistent with flu shots for a long time, never had another problem, and also no flu. I've never had pneumonia, ever, but I don't want to test it out, so I got those vaccinations too. Shingles is the one that most concerns me because anyone who had chicken pox has potential for it, and I had shingles back in my 20's. it was on a nerve path on my hip about waist level. very unpleasant. older people can get debilitating cases of shingles, sometimes involving facial nerves. I do NOT want to go there. I will get the vaccine when I find a source.

I've been happy with the upper body work I've done. I can shovel a years worth of snow and not get sore!! what a great benefit!:p

there was a really interesting article yesterday about new safety features on cars, electronics and cameras, and describing how expensive it is to fix after even minor mishaps. like windshields. I'll stick in a link if I can find it again. it was NYT. we were looking at trucks the other day. I don't especially want the fancy electronics package, but if you want a seat that moves up and down, no choice. I'm too short to see if I can't elevate the seat in newer vehicles.

Last edited:
Today I did Stacked Sets Lower Body + Extended Stretch 1. My time was 54 minutes and 264 calories burned. My average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Deb, I hope your PT appointment provides some positive information about your hip and knee.

Valerie, that really is a lot of snow, rain, and ice in your area. Thanks for the NYT link. There is so much technology on cars these days that it makes me uncomfortable. I won’t even use the cruise control! My windshield has rain sensing wipers, something I do like. When I had to have it replaced I noticed that the wipers don’t work as well as they did before the repair.

Diane Sue, I hope your granddaughter is better today. Hopefully you won’t get the flu. One of my friends got it after she had the shot, but her doctor told her that she had a milder case because of the shot. The flu outbreak has been really bad here.

Hello to Lori and Judy.

Just in from shoveling the last 2 hours. resting for a bit. my god it is nasty heavy stuff. and a lot of it. it is still snowing. Seattle has more traffic and steep hills. we are further north and get way more snow, usually. hills are longer and more gradual, and less traffic. some years there is no snow at all.... this is not one of those years. bunch of people just went by on our main road on snowmobiles.

Carolyn, I was amazed at how expensive it is to get minor things fixed. I've had a cracked windshield for years. had it replaced once when car was new, now I ignore it. its not in my line of vision. it has sat there unchanged for years. lot of gravel roads around here, only our newer car has an intact windshield.
I didn't know about rain sensing windshield wipers. a cracked windshield would be $$$$. this all means insurance premiums will zoom up. I would like a back up camera but most of the other new tech makes me uneasy. I have to test drive a truck when we get ready to buy because I would prefer less electronics, but I need to see over the hood.

Good evening ladies,

Tried to get back here on Sunday but never was able too. Yesterday was my rest day and this morning was Body Weight and Bands. When Cheslie got here we did SBF bis and tris (only 6 mins) then a San Fran 25 min bounce.

Valerie...I think I saw in your area people were skiing in the streets! I remember as a kid there were a few ice storms so we Ice Skated throughout the streets. We made the best of it. Lol! My husband has one of those bent shovels. I do not use it at all and like you, prefer the straight. I am 5’2” and my husband is 6’1” so maybe the taller framed people do like it better? Thanks for the link. Going to read after I post. Omg 2 hours of shoveling. You know I feel your pain!

Diane Sue...doctors are so different. Mine had no issues with all the shots on the same day. Good that you took her to urgent care. Sounds like she will be in good care. Good reason to cut your workout short too! That premix from fit split sounds like it was a great workout..cardio shred, push and pull. I love love love the push and pull workouts. Great job!!

Deb...yes! Rest that hip and knee. My left forearm has started to bother me. Seems like there is always something. Snow in Hawaii!! Now that is crazy!

Carolyn...I like Strong and Sweaty. As always, you are doing great with your rotation.

Judy...you have done a great combination of workouts the past few days. I love the Stacked Workouts. Actually, I love all the workouts in this series. Love that you can increase or decrease the weights and still get a great workout.

Have a good night all..it is my turn to go shovel!

I went to our monthly ladies game day and we had a valentines game day with snacks and gifts that each of us brought to the party. It was fun. They usually start at 9 am and leave around 12 or so. This one was hosted a bit of a drive away. I had to sit in the car before I left and pull it up on my GPS. The silly GPS had me going in circles for a bit till I just went my own way. I wasted so much time. It finally got it right near the last turn of my trip. I had to hit a couple of stores for birthday celebrations coming up. My granddaughter will be back tonight. She is still running a fever and needs to stay out of school longer. I feel sorry for her, it has been 6 days I think.

Today I did Lite Metabolic Calorie Crush Time saver stopping at the stretch, 17 minutes, 153 calories, met 8.6, 1,648 steps, heart rate average 131, max 167. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Intervals 3, 27 minutes, heart rate average 131, max 167. met 7.6, 198 calories, 1,778 steps. Total time was 43 minutes, 351 calories, 3,426 steps.
This was a really good combination. I thought I already had Intervals 3 in my documents but did not find it. I need to look closer and get it on paper. It is step and floor cardio segments targeting the lower body and light upper body (like running triceps kickbacks, rows etc) with 3 to 5# dumbbells followed by 10# similar move for each body part slower. I did not heavy up past Kelly on the 10# but did use 5# instead of the 3 she used. The description says 4 and 10#.

Deb, I hope the evaluation goes well and is helpful tomorrow. The game day went well, we played bingo and scattergories, but with printed out sheets and candy hearts. No one will be eating those hearts :p
I am sorry the lower body of PHA 2 bothered you. It is always fun when there is lots of joking and laughter.

Valerie, your weather is really hanging on. We are much warmer today and I finally shed my jacket this afternoon. I layered clothing and am down to a short sleep t shirt now. We had the windshield that on that Range Rover replaced it had a crack and the wind whistled through the edges. It was about to fall out!! That cost a lot. I usually refer to it as "the beast" I am so glad that vehicle is gone. It reminded me of that movie with Tom Hanks and Goldie Hawn called The Money Pit.
I think the moves on the Lite Metablic are geared for lighter weights. It is rather difficult upping the weights very much. I only upped a tiny bit.

Lori, nice job on the workouts. I really like the Fit Split Push and Pull together. I like how the lower body is not super long and is at the end of each. I like the lower body moves :) Now that I think about it I my husband bought an odd shaped handled snow shovel for our last house. I did not like using it. Maybe it is the height thing.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Lite PHA2 Upper Body only premix, 28 minutes, 135 calories.

Valerie, sorry to hear that you are still having bad weather and snow. We are too, but that is expected here. It's nice that you can do all that shoveling and not feel it the next day etc. That is so true about cars and electronics. It used to be that a mechanic had to know how to diagnose what could be wrong with a car, then know how to fix it. Now they have to hook it up to a computer to even know what could be going on. Here if you have a cracked windshield, the car will not pass inspection.

Carolyn, how true about all the stuff you have to learn about with a new vehicle...I am just getting used to using the back up camera...It took me 3 years to trust it!

Lori, Push/Pull are favorites of mine too. I really like the LIVE Push/Pull too. Sometimes I think there are just too many workouts to choose from! I think you hit it on the shovel....it could be the height thing...I am 5"3.

Diane Sue, wow, sorry about your granddaughter...that is a long time to be sick. My niece had a sinus infection recently that lasted 10 days. I wonder if its because how resistant bacteria are to anti-biotics these days?

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.