Pentagenarians & Beyond: WB 11/15

we mt biked this morning during a lull in rain. we even got hail this morning, but that kind of unsettled weather often leaves breaks between storms so we took advantage. we got a break around 9 to 11 so we rode 90 min including the big hill climb. muddy and wet but fun. all clothes are now in wash machine. the tires pick up and spray upward. yesterday I did the warm up to Flex Train, but felt too sore to do the same kind of workout as Metabolic total body, so did the flex train ab workout and then perfect 30 Mobility workout instead. didn't want to be too tired if we could ride this morning.
Cathy keep in mind any kind of wool, polypro, or fleece is just fine for hiking. needs to be comfortable and warm and not mostly cotton. most people will have many workable things in their closet already. its just knowing what's best to pick. I have some pieces that are my regular "uniform" so its easy to get dressed and pack. we do the same system when we mt bike. it was about 40 degrees and wet this morning but it takes me 60 seconds to get dressed and I'm ready for almost anything.

Judy that's great... finally most people seem to be getting with the program and realizing this virus is not going to "suddenly disappear" regardless of who said that nonsense. I think mask/distance compliance is getting better overall here. we were in Lowes several times and everyone was masked. used to be a lot of customers skipped it but not recently.
I did costco yesterday and it was just fine and not overly busy at all. thanks carolyn for mentioning it. I walked right up to the checkout around 3 yesterday. I fine the crowds drop off mid afternoon, and between 3-4 its pretty empty. I never ever go when they first open in the am and only did the "senior: hours once.
it's not possible to eat or drink with a mask on .... sorry to see restaurants penalized but the eat/drink is by definition risky, and it takes a while

carolyn I'm not sure the WW updates are an improvement. it seems to clutter the screen. I wish that frequently used foods and exercises reliable moved to the top of my list. sometimes they seem to be there, and other times I have to sort thru 2 dozen "fiton" entries to get to activities I do all the time. If I use butternut squash soup a dozen times this month, why do I have to type it in every time and look thru a load of commercial products I never ever use or will use? this morning I could not get it to go to "apple" to track it, and finally gave up.

diane sue I cant add anything about zoom. we've done it several times, but usually cousin sets it up and calls us. we use DH's laptop to participate. I want to understand how to do it and try it with my friends since it doesn't look like we will be able to get together anytime soon.

Last edited:
Valerie, our WW Coach told us that your personal information that comes up will get better as the app “learns” your choices. I agree that the changes are not helpful for me right now. And there is a lot of information on the screen!

No workout today as I went shopping. Since I get to Whole Foods early there are almost always more WF employees shopping than customers. They were much better stocked this week. When I checked out at Meijer, they have a list they go over with the self scan people noting what items have limit restrictions. Apparently, last week people started trying to hoard things again and they had to put a stop to it. They were also well stocked.

Diane Sue sorry to hear that you are still having issues with the Zoom stuff. So frustrating for parents and teachers and I'm sure the kids, too. It's great that you are still able to get in such thorough workouts while having to work around school.

Judy sorry to hear you lost power. We've certainly had a lot of extra windy days lately. You are certainly in a better position at work stocking than a lot of employees are, and it's great that people are behaving better right now. Hopefully that continues. The boys are coming home to doctor, dentist and eye appointments that all got shoved back from spring and summer. We learned the hard way when Nick broke his foot a couple years ago, that if they haven't seen a doctor in a year it makes it VERY hard to get a referral out of the area. I ended up bringing him home to get it seen and have surgery, so he missed a week of school. (Note: it's not a good idea to play club Rugby in college when you've never played before, you are only 5'3" and a giant is likely to step on your foot.)

Carolyn great workout!

Valerie glad you were able to get a ride in! Thanks for the continued suggestions every bit of info helps.

Today I just had time for one workout. This morning school got started later and seemed to drag on and on. I did Cathe Live #293 Glutes and Thighs, 61 minutes, heart rate 101/153, 1,902 steps. I am not sure why my resting heart rate is lower lately. I thought maybe it was the Fitbit, but I took my pulse using my Health Mate App and finger pulse with cell and it was 55 this morning after coffee and activity before my workout. I guess that is not a bad thing. It says low, but that it shows it is healthy. It is just generally in the 62-65 range. I just wonder if this is why my heart rate is so low when doing my workouts. It takes a lot of additional movement to get it up where I do. I liked the Glutes and Thighs workout. I could probably raise some of the weights for it next time.
No school all next week. I made my wellness check up for Wednesday and will get my flu shot. I wish I could have got my arthritis appointment changed to next week as well, but they made it for Dec 3rd.
Cathe Live # 293 Glutes and Thighs 4/20 60 minutes
uses a high step with 3 risers, mat, and weights 10,12,15,20# 2 rounds of each exercise group of 3 moves
Rnd 1

forward and backward lunges some with pulses no weight
step with 3 risers drop squat done one time as a bonus 15#
6 inch high step elevated lunge 12# dbs 16 reps the 15 pulses all right then all left
side to side sumo 15# dumbbell 20 reps
repeat all but the drop squats

Rnd 2
high step 3 risers 12# drop squat curtsy
sumo squat 20# dbs
single leg reverse lunge12# dbs 4 singles and 4 single and pulses
repeat

Rnd 3
high step 1 riser push dips 10# dbs 1st set 12# dbs 2nd set
Deadlift 20# dbs 16 reps (could have gone heavier)
side warrior lunge no weight 16 reps right 16 reps left
repeat

Rnd 4
high step 3 risers and mat side lying leg lifts arm on step 64 reps right 64 reps left
single leg deadlift 10# dbs (could have gone heavier) 16 reps
lying with feet on step bridges one leg raised adjusting angles 64 reps then 64 reps on other leg
repeat

Judy, nice work getting your workouts in. I noticed that the employees at the registers in Sprouts have switched to shields. They added self service registers that they have never had before. I hope you can stay safe at work. I think a lot of doctors have some shift with what studies show in how they view safety. At first my daughter would not come in my house for quite some time. We all were pretty isolated.

Carolyn, nice work with Perfect 30 lower body today. It is hard to understand why zoom does not work off and on. The teacher has recurring meetings set up for 9 and 1. I wish I had the original log in so I could get on with my tablet that has google. I did it once with a star reading tester for my grandson. Having to only use the school tablet is tough as the battery gets low if I have to use it all day for school. I use a laptop, but cannot get zoom to work on it even though I have my grandson set up with a google account on it. But, we can get the video lessons on it. My daughter who teaches does not like going to school and sitting in an empty classroom. Trying to teach any grade, I think would be hard. I think one of the children in my grandson's class is doing their school work in a daycare setting, so not all of the things they need is there. The teacher was trying to help them do work without those things. One grandparent does not have a printer. I have totes of colored paper, craft supplies, water colors, markers, colored pencils, so I can set my grandson up. I am hating all of the ink and paper I have to buy for the printer though. This is a school that is a lot of lower income families and this just cannot go on for long.

Valerie, I have not been to any store around here with anyone without a mask. Other than my 6 year old grandson who wore his on top of his head. He did wear it the second time I took him and I made sure it was snug enough. Now he would rather stay at my house with is sister if I make a quick store run. It works for me. Saves me money for junk too. Although he always wants me to buy apple sauce.

Cathy, most days I can get in a decent workout. I just sometimes have to split the work or cut it a bit short. That is fine. I am probably better off for it. That is good they are ahead of the game on people hoarding stuff. I went to the Dollar General this afternoon and got paper goods. They never have a lot but I was able to buy a couple of rolls of paper towels and a pack of TP. What I have had a hard time with is finding mildew cleaner for the shower tile. Dollar General shelves are pretty empty when it comes to cleaners. Last visit I was able to buy a canister of Ajax cleanser. No drain cleaner there either. Anything with disinfectant is gone. I finally went on Amazon and much was over priced. I ended up buying a huge jug of Clorox clean up which was somewhat over priced and filled my spray bottle. It has been this way from the start though.

Last edited:
Cathy I meant to comment on what you said earlier about drivers licenses . I don’t remember the details but depending on normal R&R of the state , you may need to upgrade the license. Here we have to get an “enhanced”DL if we want to use for international /air travel. I’d need if Canada ever lets us in again! I’m reminding myself to check by typing this.
I don’t think I’ll run out of anything in reasonable time. After last spring I made sure I wasn’t running low on things that went missing then. Costco was out of chicken breasts. they used the cooler space for turkeys so maybe their supply was low to begin with. I’m cranky about texture and won’t eat thighs unless they are camouflaged well.
need to take dh to an MRI today. he gets really stressed about these for reasons that escape me. I have had two and thought it was a great chance to relax and chill out. because of the pacer I wont easily get another. I think technology is there to do it but not a common machine.

Today I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix for 25 minutes and 194 calories burned. My average heart rate was 137 and maximum heart rate was 163. After that I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Core Strength and Flexibility. That was 34 minutes and 77 calories burned.

Diane Sue, nice job with Live Glutes and Thighs. As to your lower heart rate readings, do you think a medication or supplement that you are taking might be the reason?

Waving hello to everyone. Have a great afternoon.

This morning I did my version of P30 Lower Body. Ditched 2 of the deadlift sets and added the 3 bonus exercises. It comes out at 36 minutes. We'll see tomorrow how it hits me!

Diane Sue that sounds like a good workout! Another one to check out. :) It certainly seems reasonable to assume that if your resting heart rate is lower it means your max is not going to be as high as it used to be either. Hopefully that explains things and it wasn't really your Fitbit.

Valerie I wonder if different states call them different things. Here it's a Real ID in order to fly, and that's what I got. No extra cost if you get it when you renew, which is why I opted to do it then. Hope everything goes well with your husband's MRI.

Carolyn nice job on the workouts!

Looking forward to having the boys home for awhile. Right now they are busy with exams. Everything is online now, but some are scheduled and others whenever. Nick is saving the one for his Cardiopulmonary Physiology and Pharmacology class for last so he can continue to study for it. Personally I find just the class name intimidating. :D

MRI went fine, results were normal. he was so stressed they gave him a load of xanax before the procedure. wowie did he get dopey. one of those situations where person seems to be functioning just fine and then suddenly does something clumsy and unexpected. slept most of the afternoon. we were shutting down for the night ( his procedure was noon) and he jammed a finger near the woodstove, his back to me. at first I thought he burned himself so grabbed an ice pack. he got really angry and hostile and wouldn't give a clue about what he did. I don't know if he knows exactly. he's still angry this morning so this doesn't look like a good day. one finger is swollen. things have settled down. his results were good. he got totally done in by the xanax but at least was able to tolerate being "in the tube" for the hour long process.

I did a 35 minute spin premix yesterday. haven't done one in ages and it was tough. not the same as riding outdoors. today is not raining! in Nov that is the best to expect.
cathy I have had a passport for canada travel that is up for renewal in the next year or so. I think we have an option to upgrade our DL that will function like a passport. our regular state DL does not. I think it was called "enhanced" but Real ID sounds familiar too. I prefer whatever is easiest route. maybe Canada will let us back thru the border sometime in the future... if we stop behaving like a country of lunatics. we used to travel to canada often but haven't now in a few years.

Last edited:
This morning I did a PHA 3 timesaver, 3 segments instead of 4. That was 48 minutes with 235 calories burned. Average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 157.

I don’t know if I mentioned this in the past, but my youngest daughter won a truck on the Price is Right when she was sophomore in college. That was in 2002. She has driven that truck since then, but she sold it yesterday. She had never purchased a vehicle until last month. She went to California with her roommate for spring break that year and they decided to go to the Price is Right. When she called to tell us that she had won the truck and some other prizes we didn’t believe her! I thought that it was a joke. She has lived in places where she didn’t need to drive much, so the truck only has 100,000 miles after all this time. Oh well, end of the game show era for her.

Cathy, great job with your version of Perfect Pump Lower Body. The name of your son’s class is definitely a mouthful.

Valerie, that’s good that you were able to do a spin workout yesterday. I’m glad that your husband’s MRI went well considering. My husband was the same when he had one. The doctor prescribed two pills for him to take before his MRI, one just before we went to the hospital. He was loopy the next day too.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, Deb, and Lori.

I did Live Cardio Core Challenge. It was a good workout, but I just didn't love it. Was basically light Hiit followed by core.

Valerie sorry your husband had issues yesterday. Hopefully things get back to normal soon. Such a wide range of how people respond to drugs. Nick after his foot surgery was perhaps the funniest thing I'd ever been around. They gave him coffee afterwards and then somehow he got on a black licorice kick, too. He sat behind me in the van so he could put his foot up, so I couldn't film him, but from the time we started trying to leave the hospital he kept going off in raptures about coffee and black licorice. Wanting to stop everywhere and get some, and it was weird to me that parts of his brain were perfectly functional. All the way home he was texting his friends (some 7 hours away) begging them to bring him black licorice! The best part though was after he got home and he's sitting on the couch still going off on a bizarre range of topics when it occurs to him that he doesn't know how to unhook a bra! He was totally traumatized by this though and I was dying at that point while he was actually googling videos of how to do it.

I checked and the Real ID here doesn't allow for travel to Canada. Says only a passport will work. Though apparently my boys are currently in Canada, as Fox News used a map that labeled the entire Upper Peninsula of Michigan as Canada. Yoopers get rather testy about all the wrong things maps proclaim them to be that and especially when they are left off entirely. A couple years ago when Mountain Dew did their state labeling, they erred on the UP portion of the map, and people made such a fuss that Mountain Dew actually gave them their own label. LOL

Carolyn great workout! How cool that your daughter won that truck and that it's lasted so long and WOW only 100,000 on it.
Hope everyone else is having a good weekend!

And in the very weird category-my Fitbit again did not track my sleep last night. Third week in a row it's done that on that day of the week, while tracking every other day.

This is from yesterday. I guess I did not post it.
Today I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Quick Fix both workouts plus the bonus using the Raw channel. This was 74 minutes, heart rate 114/164(Not sure about the 114 since every time I looked at my Fitbit it was between 126 and 136) Plus the app said my heart rate was 110 average. This is not right! I burned 333 calories, 6,187 steps.
My legs and hips are sore today from yesterdays CL workout.

Valerie, I have had mri's before of my knees and I just took the opportunity to rest and actually nodded off. The neck and shoulder was the last one and it was excruciating. They had me in apparatus for each that held me in a very stiff painful position I think I told you that I had to make them stop. I got through the first one of the neck at 45 minutes and the shoulder at about 20 and I clicked for them to stop. I guess it depends on why one is getting an mri.

Carolyn, I see we both chose the same workout today. I really like this one and had it in mind to do today when I was looking for something last night. It could be a supplement, but I have not had that happen in the past. Nothing is different other than Vital Proteins Performance Recovery Sleep that I have been taking at night. It is powder with collagen, gaba and L theanine, 5 htp, B vitamins, and magnesium glycinate. It would have to be 5 htp, gaba or L theanine as the magnesium and collagen I always take. My sleep heart rate generally gets down into the 50's, but it usually climbs up to 10 or more higher after I am up. I only have the one medication I have been taking for two years now.

Cathy, I think that I would want to put that class off to last as well. It sounds like it would have a lot of stuff to remember. I would think the lower heart rate would make some difference in overall. Although it has been low most of the almost a year I have had the watch. I think it started out normal for a couple of months, then there was an update and it has not been the same since.

Today I did Cathe Live #101 Step and Pump 59 actual me 62 minutes, heart rate 111/144, 4,053 steps.
I only got 4 hours of sleep last night. Too many things causing anxiety and spent till 1 am doing a Whole Foods order and then it saying they had no delivery opening. I got up this morning and there was 3 delivery openings :D So at least I do not have to go to the store today. I forgot my Magnesium with Ashwhaganda before bed which might have helped a bit. So, I am still tired and irritable today.

Cathe Live #101 Step and Pump
cardio portion is the first 32 minutes which will be nice knowing if I want to just do the cardio they use step with 1 riser for the step and suggest you can use 2. I used 2 till she got to the drills and then removed one. She raises the risers later during weight work.
Raise to 2 risers after cardio

Lower Body
lunge kick 8 each/4 each/1 each multiple times 10# dumbbells
elevated lunges 10# dumbbells high reps 8/15pulses; 4/7 pulses twice; 2/3 pulses
crossback lunge 15# dumbbell
add risers for 3 each side drop squats 15# dumbbell

Upper Body

biceps curls 15# dumbbells 12 reps
goal post press I used 5's 16 reps
hammer curl press alternating I did hammer curls here with 12's

reverse flies 10# dumbbells 8 reps
front raise 15# dumbbell 8 reps
lateral raise 5# dumbbells 10 reps
repeat

close grip bench press I used 12# dumbbells and switched to triceps extensions second time
dips body weight
pullover I used 8 # dumbbells then swithced and did more triceps extensions the second time
repeat

push ups 5 with rope climbs 10 done multiple times

DH is better but still a bit oopy. admits to not remembering much of yesterday at all. procedure was was to rule out causes for migraines. it was negative. so we are back to regular causes for migraines, like caffeine, foods, etc. a relief in a way there is no real physiologic cause of the headaches.

I have to dig out the passport and see if it outdates in '21 or '22. I think even for domestic flights we need an upgraded DL over the standard one issued here in WA, so I will get the enhanced one. would be nice if that covers passport needs too.

cathy are they in a lead up to nursing school, or pre-med or pre dent?
that is a hoot that the UP gets lost to Canada! wish I could escape to Canada sometimes. having lived 20+ years in WI, I was surprised how many people don't know that the UP is Michigan and not WI. I dont know the history of it and why the UP was aligned the way it was.

I have been into that loopy state following colonoscopies! omg what a riot... and could not remember a bit of it after. you FEEL like you are tracking fine and making perfect sense, but the next day you find out the truth! I usually get nauseated and vomit afterwards too. I'm not a great patient to have tho DH usually warns the nurse what's coming.

his main issue was his head inside the tube. he had a dye or other chemical injection too. he is a bit claustrophobic. I had a head mri once and also a knee one and didn't think they were bad. he took drugs when they said, but he should have downed it earlier as he was pretty anxious during first parts of procedure.

Valerie, I do not recall ever having anything given to relax me during an mri. Maybe if I did with the last one I would not have noticed the pain as much. I doubt it though. There was no music or anything either. I sang songs to myself in my head trying to ignore the pain. That is good things were normal. Ouch on jamming his fingers.

Carolyn, I bet that felt a little sad selling the truck after all of this time. My sister in law was on Price is Right many years ago. She won some big prize, but I cannot remember what it was. That is cool that she won a truck. I think my sister in law was some major appliance. I really liked that pie pan that I purchased. The crust was nice an crisp and with that pan and using pie weights as instructed with parchment it came out nice this time. It is USA Pan Bakeware steel pie pan from Amazon.

Cathy, that is hilarious about your son's reaction. So did he get lots of licorice. I won't ask if he figured out how to unhook a bra LOL I bet you were cracking up the whole time. I react to stuff easily and always let them know when I go in for any procedure. Once I went to the dentist to get two wisdom teeth out. By myself. He had problems with one of them and I really think I should have been seeing an orthodontist and or some sort of oral surgeon. He kept having to give me more stuff because I could feel it. By the time I left a couple of hours later I was driving on icy roads singing, which is really unusual, as driving in bad weather usually intimidates me. Part way home it hit me that I was singing and this was not good. I had my parents that had arrived at my house while I was gone from out of state and a roast in the oven for dinner. I totally did not expect it to go away. They told me maybe 45 minutes. I hardly remember anything after getting home other than falling into bed and my husband coming in later with something for pain as I looked like a chipmunk. Good think I did not get stopped by police.
To be honest, every time you say the Up I have had no clue what you were talking about. I guess when you live in the area you would know. I kept meaning to look it up.
That is odd that the Fitbit did not do sleep on the same day. I have just had it do it occasionally and figured maybe something was off with the app or something. I have not had it happen for awhile, other than time change and I think it was because of the timing of going to bed and so not enough hours from one day to the next to count or something.

Diane Sue, thanks for the update on your pie pan. I have USA Pans muffin pans and square baking pan. I love them. They are very well made.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.