Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/5

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. went off for a walk/ hike in a local park. ended up being an hour and a few minutes with a lot of up and down.

yesterday i did x train burn sets ch, ch, ba and x train abs.

got my road bike out and rode a circuit thru the neighborhood. only a few miles but its a couple very steep hills.

diane sue it sounds like you had an interesting childhood. I wish I had a little adventure, but sadly we did not. I've been making up for it ever since.

Last edited:
Good morning. Today I did Cardio Party and the Extended Stretch for 50 minutes and 296 calories burned. My average heart rate was 122 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Waving hello to everyone. Have a great day.

Yesterday morning I did Boss Bands Total Body for, I believe, the third time. Definitely can feel it in a number of areas today, but it's pretty minimal as far as DOMS go. Then I headed to my parents for the day. Had a really nice visit with everyone and finally got to meet my sister's dog, who is as adorable as his pics look.

Today I did Boxing Hiit Express and some stretching.

Diane Sue great job with Boss Bands Total Body! The human knee even when fully functional really doesn't do downhills well. Puts it in bad positions.

Valerie great job with the Xtrain upper body and ab workout and get in some laps around the neighborhood.

Carolyn great job with Cardio Party and stretch!

we did a ride this morning, 25 miles. 2 hours. we went early to beat the traffic, which we did. it was cloudy to start but brightened up to sun by the time we finished.

cathy we are in agreement on downhills. it's my feet more than my knees but I go downhill s-l-o-w-l-y. I have always been slow on downhills, something about how my feet and ankles work where I have to brake myself a lot or I get out of control. I'm probably one of the few people who goes faster uphill than down the opposite of most.

I chose a shorter cardio from CDorner. I started with a recent cardio for 10 minutes and decided I did not want to learn different choreography and stopped and did Step #143 easy Intermediate, 35 minutes, heart rate 135/177, easy both together was45 minutes , 251 calories, 3,819 steps. I then did mobility hips and shoulders #6, heart rate 85/10, 28 minutes, 54 calories, 69 steps. Total time was 73 minutes, 305 calories, 3,888 steps. Joints are still hurting. No weight work for now. I have read that strength training can help, but somehow I have never found that to be the case for me.

Today I did a timesaver from PHA 3. My time was 48 minutes with 230 calories burned. Average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Cathy, great job with Boss Bands Total Body and Boxing HiiT Express. I’m glad that you had a nice visit with your family.

Valerie, nice job with your 25 mile ride.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry to hear that you are still having joint pain. You are smart to adjust your workouts to match your body’s needs.

Hello to Judy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Another road ride this morning. Dh wanted to do that rather than mountain bike. Had some phone calls so took longer than usual, 2 hrs 25 min. 25 miles. I'm done with meds for bursitis and seems to be gone. wish I knew where it came from but happy its resolved.

watched a good movie on Netflix last night called "Worth". michael keaton, stanley tucci, amy ryan. I recommend.

Today I did Cathe Live PHA 2 and a 45 minute Peloton Power Zone Ride. It was a busy weekend at HD and I'm glad it's over. Yesterday was a 20,000+ step day. I had over 9 miles on my Apple watch when I got home.

Carolyn-Great job with the PHA 3 premix.

Diane Sue-I'm so sorry about your joint pain. I hope it gets better soon.

Valerie-Nice rides! Chris and I were just talking about trying to get out before it gets too cold.

Cathy-Great job with Boss Bands Total Body and Boxing HiiT Express.

today I did Boss Bands Glutes and Core. Was really feeling it at the time, so we'll see what tomorrow brings. Lots of travel plan changes this afternoon. My sister asked me to push my visit back by a week, because it turns out she's going to have to work a couple days I'd have been there. Since that opened up, I decided to move my trip to visit Derek and go hiking up a month, so now I'll do that before I go to NC. Weather looks like it'll be right around 70 with little chance of rain. Better odds than mid October as it can get really rainy up there around that time. I also have a couple things to take up to them. He's now going to be assisting with some giraffe research. Sorting through photos, identifying individuals, males/females and cropping photos as apparently each giraffe gets it's on page. Stuff that's right up his alley and will look nice on an internship application next year. Nick has announced he's going to go check out rock climbing. They have a climbing wall on campus.

Valerie I have issues with gaining momentum easily, too, and I've never figured out why I should, at least it seems to me, have more issues with it than those who are taller and heavier when you would think they have more weight to put into momentum. Great that you were able to get in a couple long drives!

Diane Sue great job with the step cardio! Very sorry to hear about your joint pain.

Carolyn great job with PHA 3!

Judy that's a lot of steps or a work day! Great job with the Live PHA 2 and Peloton ride!

not doing anything so far today. we were planning on MT this week but now looks like the weekend. the kind of outdoor things we enjoy are hampered by continuing smoke. so sad how this all took place with the awful fires. and this is not even the "fire season" in CA yet whatever that used to mean, doesn't mean that anymore.
Judy, you and chris should get out and do what you want to do. Make the time. that is an incredible number of steps for work.

cathy it's somewhat momentum for me, but mainly skidding. when I walk downhill, I easily lose "traction", in spite of good lug soled boots. I have very wobbly ankles and have had many ankle sprains, so the basic mechanics are not great. good footwear helps but "good" isn't the same for everyone. I've covered an immense of mileage over the years but downhill is always slower than I'd like. Hope your son likes the climbing wall. I took a class but didn't like it at all, and settled on what is called "scrambling'. no technical ropes, rocks, rappelling but most things short of that including snow travel. but everyone has to sort out what they like and a class is good way to get acquainted with it.

Today I did All Out Low Impact HiiT, no disc cardio premix. That was 33 minutes and 233 calories burned. Average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 162. The September rotation didn’t really appeal to me so I’m doing bits of other rotations. I will do some of the September rotation, just not as it is written. I had a virtual WW meeting today.

Valerie, nice job with the road ride yesterday. That’s good news about your bursitis improvement. The movie Worth sounds like it would be good. I heard an interview this morning with the two people who administered the 9/11 victim’s fund that’s the subject of the movie.

Judy, great job with Live PHA 2 and the 45 minutes Peloton Power Zone ride.

Cathy, nice job with Boss Bands Glutes and Core. I really felt that one afterwards.

Hello to Diane Sue.

Yes… about how the 9/11 victim compensation funds were worked out. Not at all dull as it sounds. I really enjoyed it.
In contrast we , with me not enjoying it one bit, watched Clickbait. also netflix. tedious. dumb. awful.

so I have a new thing to complain about. since my DH has started following a "semi WW" program he is eating all my food..... he is an eating machine! ate my apples. ate my melon. I got him carrots because he likes them, so now I have to listen to him eating carrots loudly so I have to leave the room. he is pacing around like a lion in a cage at feeding time. (Cathy zoo expert... is there anything that paces more noticeably than a cat?) ate the peaches. ate the grapes. I spend half my day washing and slicing up produce and he eats it all over an afternoon. I open the fridge and everything is gone. I have created a monster. he always ate a lot more than I could even dream of, but now its beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:
No workout as I shopped. Planning to walk at the zoo tomorrow, but I'll get a workout in, if I get up early enough. They pushed back opening for the rest of the year till 10 so that helps.

Valerie, cats in captivity do pace a lot, but apparently polar bears also do. In general, I think a lot depends on the exhibits though. I don't remember seeing any at our local zoo pacing. Mostly they sleep. LOL I've actually seen more bears pacing over the years. I guess I should be happy that DH likes different things than I do. For instance, he never touches my watermelon. It must be super frustrating for you though. And, since DH is weird and prefers canned soup, I get all the leftovers of what I make. He eats junk, so I get most of the fresh food for myself. I hope things settle down so that you can go to MT this weekend. I'm not so sure I hope Nick likes rock climbing. I remember all to well the time he decided to try Rugby, got his foot broken in the very first game and I had to go bring him back here for treatment and surgery, because we couldn't get an out of area recommendation with our insurance. I really don't want to have to haul him back from TX!

Carolyn great job with AOLIH. It's a great short workout!

We rode again this morning, 2 hrs around 20 miles. pleasant morning 70 ish and breezy.

cathy some people self teach, pick up rock climbing on their own. A class is best to learn climbing safely. most climbing is done in small groups so it's a way to meet other people with similar interests. you need to use the protective equipment properly, techniques, knots, ropes, learning on gradually increasingly difficult rock. I disliked it immediately. I finished the class, some climbing, rappelling, and (at the time) learned ropes/knots. promptly forgot all of it! around here, snow and glacier travel is part of the course. climbing was not for me. I do rock scrambling, and am Ok on snow and ice, but actual climbing, no.

I'm happy DH is eating better but he is eating constantly. pacing like a Lion? a wolf? a bear? sigh.... off to the store again today. he used to eat more junk but now that its fruit, he's a bottomless pit.

Today I did P30 Perfect Pump Lower Body and the Extended Stretch. My time was 45 minutes with 123 calories burned. Average heart rate was 103 and maximum heart rate was 133. My husband had an appointment scheduled with his neurologist today, but they called yesterday to reschedule. The doctor is out sick. That was disappointing for my husband since he is having some issues, but it worked out for me because I needed to get the emissions inspection done for my car. I had forgotten about it and it’s due Monday.

Valerie, that’s funny about your husband and the WW friendly snacks. I have experienced a little of that, but fortunately my husband likes fruits that aren’t my favorite. I try to keep those things around that he prefers and just buy extra of the things that we will share. Have you tried putting your cut fruits in portion controlled dishes? Maybe a section of the refrigerator for his items and a different one for you. There are some inexpensive clear organizers available on Amazon that work well.

Cathy, I shopped today too. I had a shopping plan that was based on the store near my husband’s medical appointment, but I had to quickly revise that.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

Good afternoon. I didn’t get in a formal workout today, but I did walk for 30 minutes. That was 214 calories burned, average heart rate 137 and maximum heart rate of 144. I had to renew my car tags this morning. It was a much better experience than I was anticipating.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

good morning. we went for a fairly strenuous 3 mile walk this morning. kept speed up and lots of up/down hills. 55 minutes.
carolyn we have a side by side fridge. less-than-great space in the refrigerator. limited to this style by door swing. no room for separate containers. I cut up a whole melon, put in a sealed bowl. DH sits down with a fork and eats half the bowl. I wash apples, peaches, grapes before refrigerating so they are ready to eat but he takes advantage of that and chows down. I'm glad he's not eating "junk" but stunning how much fruit he goes thru. I know these are "free" foods but I dont lose if I eat unlimited amounts and neither does he. I dont mean "starvation" level rationing, but ..... some quantity limits?

FYI I will not be around sunday morning to start next weeks thread. Driving to MT. I will probably check in during our drive day . someone else please do the honors.

Last edited:
Good afternoon. I am taking a rest day today. My daughter left this morning and we spent some time helping her get off. After that I had my investment club meeting.

Valerie, I can start the thread tomorrow. Have a safe trip.

Waving hello to everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.