Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/26

Diane Sue-Home Depot is not busy at all right now. During the week it's been like a ghost town.
They've cut hours way back, which is good for me. I also scheduled several Saturdays off so I'm not there on the busiest day.

we will do a mt bike ride later this morning, then get ready to drive back tomorrow. would like to stay since it's so nice but we need to take care of some things back in WA, flu shot, vaccine boosters, finish up our garden for the year before everything turns to mush. it is still summer here. we will try to take care of business, and return here soon. the park itself is very busy because weather is too darn nice. fall and spring are my favorite times here. winter is tough.

judy there is a lot of space in MT and recreational uses are varied. a lot of trails are open to different uses over different dates. this road was open to ATVs half the year, other users the other half but it was too rocky IMO for mt bikes or horses, OK for hiking. I take pictures of trailhead signs. they show dates for trail and road use. I don't try to remember all the different dates. some roads are gated during wet parts of the year, some by dates for different uses. the pictures work great!

I have sleep problems too, and have tried a lot of things that don't work predictably. I hate feeling out of it from no sleep, but I agree meds don't always improve things much.

Today I did Stacked Sets Upper Body+the Extended Stretch. That was 52 minutes and 167 calories burned, average heart rate 109, and maximum heart rate 143.

Valerie, I hope that you have a better outing today than yesterday’s hike. Our weather has been beautiful this week, too.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Low Impact and Total Body Stretch. I haven’t had any problems with doctors and Medicare insurance. I have United Healthcare Medicare Advantage which might make a difference, but I’m not sure. I am considering changing my primary care doctor for someone closer to me. I like him very much and I have been going to him for a very long time, but I really hate driving over there. My other doctors are all closer.

Judy, great job with your mix of structured workouts and outdoor walks. That’s a good way to avoid getting bored.

Cathy, it sounds like you had a great walk at the zoo even if you didn’t have your fitness watch. I like to tell myself that my body knows what I have done without the tracker, but it like to see the numbers!

Have a great afternoon everyone.

I didn't mean to sound negative about yesterday's hike! it was very pretty and only a disappointment because we will not be able to ride it. we looked at the road on a topo map and thought it looked a little steep but mostly it was the big chunky rocks, and maps don't show that kind of thing. we will go back and walk it further next time.
this morning we rode an hour and 45 min near our house. there's a very rough road that goes up to a cell tower that has a great view and is bordered by wildlife refuge.

carolyn we have the same issue with primary care doctor. I like the lady I've seen for years but she moved a few years ago to a different clinic. its not that many miles away but the traffic makes it a long drive. every year i debate changing to someone closer. last year because of covid the drive was reasonable but this year it will be back to "the usual". I had United but switched to Regence this year. I'm forgetting why we switched, but I think Regence was less expensive and had some other benefits that were better. have to run a recheck every year.

This morning I did Live Boss Bands and Loops: Metabolic. It's a good workout and differs from the total body video in that you only use the green band, green loop and you use weights. The weights brought home that I haven't done weights in a while! The workout moves pretty fast and has cardio, toning and weight parts.

Diane Sue out here it's corn making it so you can't see well at corners. They've finally starting combining a lot of the fields, but the worst one is right to the north of us. At least this year corn was only on one of the four corners. Some years it's all of them. We don't have to stop, but the other direction does and I've seen enough people running it to be very leery. I always slow down to make sure no one's going to take me out. Once the corn's gone, coming home you have a clear view of traffic, but from our house out, there's still a spot where you can't see people coming from the east. And while our road is considered the more major road, that one gets a lot of traffic, too, and while the speed limit is 55 most people, including semis, are going faster.

Carolyn great job with Stacked sets upper body and stretch! I just keep hoping our doctor doesn't retire. He's in his mid 70's and honestly doesn't really look different than when we started going there 20 years ago!

Valerie glad you got in a great ride today! Can you sometimes see the road/trail on satellite to see what they might consist of?

Judy great job with the upper, lower, yoga workouts and the long walk!

This morning I did CDorner Step # 152, 29 minutes, heart rate 132/159, 154 calories, 2,158steps. I also did CDorner Quick Intermediate Step # 147, 34 minutes, 177 calories, heart rate 133/173, 3,148 steps. I like this and have done it last week. I finished with Cathe Perfect 30 Express #2 yoga strength and flexibility + Mobility basics, 36 minutes, heart rate 84/115, 67 calories, 199 steps. I liked the moves in this mixture. Total TIme was 99 minutes, 398 calories, 5,505 steps.

Judy, it is nice that you get some time off for awhile. I bet Christmas it will be back busy.

Valerie, I have found if I do not drink coffee and omit a snack before bed it helps with sleep. I really do like my morning coffee though and Kombucha tea has some caffeine as well and I usually have a bottle at lunch. Otherwise I have started making decaf cold brew and using that later in the day with some macadamia milk in it. I just cannot relax lately. Getting up and down all night and taking sips of water and stuff for dry mouth does not help either. My last two primary care doctors moved on to something else after years of me seeing them. One moved to a small city so her husband could farm. The latest has RA and several foster children as well as her own and was only working 3 days a week. She was really a good doctor and thorough. So, I am back to where I was. I can't make up my mind if I want to try to get someone closer. It takes about 35 minutes to get to the office I have been using. I don't like change very much though.

Carolyn, nice work on Stacked Sets today. I asked my daughter once why some suggest that you need to call and see if they are available or it will say limited. I thought maybe they did not want babies and she told me no, they limit how many new Medicare patients that they take in. I checked with my clinic when I signed up for medicare to make sure I was still okay. I figured I was as my daughter's and daughter in law have both worked in their office at one time.
I have kept the same insurance, but I got a supplement, not an advantage plan. My husband's work did have an advantage plan, but he chose not to use one and he was the employee. Once you drop the insurance you cannot get it back. I chose a plan where I only pay a small deductable each year for part B and I have kept it. I have not had to pay any more than the deductable ever. They keep going up though in cost, but then all of them are. I have hardly used my prescription part D. Maybe once. The deductable is ridiculous for that and I only have one prescription. It doesn't pay to use it. If I ever need it though I guess it is there. I think it changed to Aetna from whoever Silverscript was. The problem with doctors being so far away, is when you are not feeling well, it is easier to just stay home and forget it. I hate driving to the arthritis center.

Cathy, I was going to check to see if Cathe was doing any of the band work on her live workouts. Someday I want to sign up for a month again. CDorner uses bands along with weights and often at the same time in her strength workouts. Nebraska was the place with lots of corn fields. My Dad used to bring me corn all of the time. Mostly he grew his own though. We have wheat fields though that sometimes block corners out on those more country roads connecting the smaller surrounding cities. I used to deal with that taking grandchildren to school. Off season when the crops were gone with lots of rain the fields would fill with water and run across the road where you couldn't tell where the ditch was and where the road was.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, workout two. That was 29 minutes and 219 calories burned, average heart rate 134 and maximum heart rate 149. I went to the farmer’s market and got some apples and a few other vegetables. I bought a variety of winter squash that is new to me called Honeynut. It looks like a tiny butternut squash with more of a caramel colored outer skin. I tried Delicata squash a few years ago and discovered that those are great. It was featured in a WW recipe and stuffed with farro and mushrooms.

Cathy, great job with Live Boss Bands and Loops Metabolic. The clip from that workout looked good.

Diane Sue, great mix of workouts yesterday with CDorner step and P30 Yoga and Mobility. My Medicare Advantage plan is offered with my retirement plan. Ours was the same as your husband’s, if you drop it you can’t enroll again. Fortunately I have been pleased with it. AARP offers a similar plan.

Hello to Judy and Valerie.

Today I did P30 Low Impact Hiit, P30 Upper Body and Boss Step Bonus Abs. I am quite good acknowledging I will NEVER match Cathe for weight on that upper body and there are a number of workouts where I can. Boys both were at football games today. Nick loves sporting events and has been going to all the TCU home games. Derek is at homecoming which may be the only football game he goes to. He has friends in the band. Hockey he loves and will likely be a regular, since they can attend games this year.

Diane Sue great job with yesterdays workout! I hope she uses the bands more in the live workouts. In that one they had people testing out bands for taller people. Thought that was a really fast response as apparently a lot of people requested longer bands. I like how responsive they are to they customers. Is anyone in this group tall? I knew someone who had grown up in Nebraska, one of those farms out in the middle of nowhere, nearest neighbor a mile away. She actually seemed uncomfortable here, and she really didn't get why everyone loves northern Michigan so much. Too many trees freaked her out. LOL

Carolyn great job with the cardio quick fix!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.