Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/26

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. day off yesterday. shopping day the cupboard was bare..
today it will be an indoor workout. lovely day out but I cant do something outdoors every single day and would rather save it for tomorrow when we need to get our truck serviced, hopefully minor, and will go mt bike while its being done.

Last edited:
Good afternoon. Today I did my usual Sunday morning yoga. Other than that this is a semi rest day. Have a wonderful afternoon everyone.

This morning I did Step Sync, combos 1 & 2, for 32 minutes and 187 calories burned. My average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 149. I had to stop a couple minutes early, but it was a good cardio workout. My low back has been bothering me for the last few days and I’ve been trying to take it a easy. I wasn’t sure about doing step, but it was okay.

Have a great day everyone.

Did x train bi’s and tri’s and core 1 yesterday. this morning did a mountain bike for 90 min. High elevation but a nice fun ride. Not sure how long I would need to be to acclimate completely because I still get breathless. this was a higher elevation one.

Last edited:
Today I did CDorner Step and Strength from 6 days ago, Cardio Intervals. 2 minute step segments with weight intervals(mostly lower body) 58 minutes (6 min extra for stops) 219 calories, heart rate 114/156, 2,977 steps. I then did CDorner Back and Neck stretch plus a 5 minutes of a another mobility flow workout that I stopped when she was doing a 1 arm 1 leg balance and twisty stretch. My shoulder could not take that. 36 minutes ,45 calories, heart rate 74/100,121 steps. Total time was 94 minutes, 264 calories, 3,098 steps
Step and Strength
warm up
cardio
squat/deadlift alternating moves for 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 reps ending with 1 slow reps each move 15# dbs
cardio
biceps curl with a twist/ row 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. reps each 12# dbs( I dropped to 10# last two sets)
cardio
squat/lunge off step 1,2,3,4,5 reps alternating15# dbs
cardio
kickbacks/reverse fly 8# dbs (dropped to 5's the last set) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 reps alternating move
cardio
squat knee up/curtsy knee up on the step alternating 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 reps ending with 1 squat extra right
cardio
squat knee up /curtsy knee up on left side
cardio
balance knee up/ reach balance leg raise behind
cardio of all cardio moves done
floor abs crunches with feet crossed/ reverse crunch
stretch

Hi Everyone,

I need to catch up on posting. Friday I did ICE Metabolic Total Body and a short Peloton ride. Saturday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and an upper body gym workout with Chris. Sunday I did a short Peloton ride and yesterday was a rest day.

Carolyn-Great job with yoga and the Step Sync combos. I hope your low back is better.

Valerie-Nice job with XTrain bi's and tri's and core 1. Great ride!

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Step and Strength and Back and Neck stretch.

Hi to Cathy,

I have had an ongoing issue with WW entering workouts. finally connected with the chat line yesterday and got it straightened out. iphone was not showing workouts and was locking up, while on the desktop I had multiple entries although I usually don't enter things there. turns out there was an very recent update on the iphone that I never got an alert about doing. we updated it before leaving on vacation. I uploaded it last night. all works again. I enter workouts manually since I don't have a synced device. I would if they worked well for biking but they don't. so all is settled. I removed a few of the multiple entries. I had the last ride entered 4 times. I kept trying to enter it and the phone would not accept it and locked up on that page. I dont track things completely when on vacation. I log in activity and stick to the food plan most of the time but take a break from tracking everything.

This morning I did a timesaver from Stacked Sets Lower Body. That was 30 minutes with 177 calories burned. Average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 175(?). I had my annual appointment with the Oncologist this morning which ended up taking a very long time! There was a road construction delay both coming and going and a long wait for the doctor. There is always at least a 15 minute wait because they draw blood and he needs the results before he comes into the exam room. Today was much longer than usual. To top it off, there was a train going through as I got closer to home, causing another delay. Not one of my better days. I have another appointment on Thursday for my annual physical, but that should go more quickly. My life has been consumed by medical appointments for the past month!

Judy, great job with your workouts this week. I’m glad that you were able to check in.

Valerie, I’m glad that your problems with the WW app have been resolved.

Hello to Diane Sue and Cathy.

Well all things worked briefly yesterday with WW but went back to locked status today so I repeated the delete and re loaded the app and will check to see if it worked. There was an iPhone update that ook a long time to download and install.
Carolyn it seems like when traffic is messed up..... delays beget more delays... multiply.

we mountain biked this morning close to our house for about 90 minutes. Extremely windy but a fair temp. Fall color is so lovely. Trying to learn which plants turn red in the slopes. Currant wild rose dogwood and cherry so far. I think will need to check pictures to clarify.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jessica Smith’s Steady, Ready, Go which is an interval walk. That was 31 minutes and 218 calories burned. Average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 150. I went to WW for an in person weigh-in, the first time in 19 months. I came home and did a virtual meeting instead of staying for in person. It was nice to see a few familiar faces from my usual group.

Valerie, I always use the WW app on my iPad instead of phone, but decided to open it on my phone to see if there was a problem. Everything is working as it should. I hope that yours is working today. I updated my phone the same day that the information came out about the need to do so.

Hello to Judy, Diane Sue, and Cathy.

I did a late workout today. Just as I was getting ready to go do CDorner's step and maybe some band work, the power went out. I finally contacted the company and they texted back saying it would be back on at 2 this afternoon. So, I read, and when I went out to get the mail my Boss Band Hips, Glutes, and core came. I did that one when the power came back on. I could have done a dvd using my laptop, but my energy levels are rock bottom, and sleep is terrible. I tried to take a nap and that did not happen either. Anyway, the Boss Band workout was 51 minutes, 140 calories, heart rate 102/135. I liked the standing part. Floor work was typical floor work. Standing gave a bit of cardio with it. I will probably use that more as an add on to workouts. I used my medium band for the workout.

we did a hike today, 4 hours. Ok destination not a repeater for me. nice spot but not worth the effort. we have picked better. lovely weather but warm and sunny and not feeling much like fall yet. we will probably go home this weekend and the weather is good there too. drive was a bit of a hassle as the directions went to a road closure that we should have remembered from a few years ago, but didnt. until we were too late and had to backtrack.

dh has an ipad but I never liked using it. so I do most things on the phone. it turns out the fix did not fix the problem so I called WW back today and spent some time but the end result was it might be an "emerging issue" and she didn't have an answer. someone will contact me from tech service. I can work around it, but it is good to know I wasnt doing something silly or stupid. it will work for one activity entry, but then wont work for another the next day. this is only activity related, and app gets stuck on the page where you have entered your time and are "done". it gets stuck there. wont let me back to the rest of the program so its an issue. I can work around it using the desktop.

Hi all! I got back Monday night, but I've had things to do each day. Going to the zoo tomorrow and hoping to get back to working out on Friday. Made the drive back in only a few minutes longer than it took going there. But, I ended up taking the longest route, because google maps decided to change my route as I was headed into Cincinnati, which I absolutely didn't want to do, and traffic was to heavy to take my hand off the wheel and hit the darn option to stay on my route. And the route it thought was shorter had a three lane traffic jam with me stuck in the middle so I missed my original exit. When the exit for Indy came up I took it and got myself straightened around later when I stopped for food. I had a fantastic time at my sisters, just wish it wasn't such a long drive. Just like I wish Nick was only THAT far away instead of 2 days of that. My sister found out today that the last place we went to hike, that had two great waterfalls off the same parking lot, that if we'd followed the unmarked trail that went farther up we would have gotten to an even more spectacular one. So weird that when the others were so well marked, there was nothing to indicate there was a farther one and the person at the ranger station who told us about those two hadn't mentioned it either. Things to add to a future to do list. The first forestry school in the country was there, and it was something like National Parks day, so it was free. Very interesting place.

Valerie my sisters area is a huge area for cyclists, both road and mountain. On the weekends it's crazy and you constantly have to watch for those on the road, because there are so many sharp turns. I could never bring myself to ride on the road there. The weekend before I was there they had some big qualifying race and police were out along the way to block traffic for them. Sorry you are having so many issues with your WW's app. For all technology can be a plus, when it's not working it's such a pain.

I will try to get back in the swing of things. I've worked out a very ambitious workout schedule for October, so we'll see how that goes. Also, worked out a basic menu for the next week, so hopefully my eating will get back on track too.

Cathy we avoid riding in high traffic areas. I see people doing it all the time but its stressful and dangerous. so many people are distracted drivers and bicycles are vulnerable to traffic from behind. when you see people try to just park their cars, straight in a parking space, ANY idea that drivers have good judgement about vehicle size will leave your brain entirely. most haven't a clue how close they are passing a bicycle, and most don't care. the other issue is highway shoulder debris. some tossed purposely, but some just blown to the side by traffic. your bikes tires don't care where it came from and go flat. changing a flat on a hwy is a terrible process! its tough enough on a quiet road. DH is the flat tire KING. we ride the same area and he gets the flat. often takes 2 to change the tire.

cathy that happens. we didnt bring a map with us yesterday thinking we knew the trail but turned out we didnt get the road directions right, and had not gone far enough the previous time we walked here. waterfalls will be there, so something new to see next time.

I did not work out today. I had my annual physical this morning and I got a flu shot while I was there. I wish I could say that I’m finished with appointments but I still need to schedule a couple of things.

Diane Sue, having the power go out is such an annoying disruption. I’m glad that you got to work out later. I feel the same about Boss Bands Glutes and Core, I like the standing part, not so much the floor work.

Cathy, I’m glad that you made it back safely.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

we did a sort of hike this morning. it was cold and frosty. a place we hoped might be a rideable road. no, its a ATV road much of the year and way too rocky for mt biking. not gravel, but big uneven size rocks in at least the first mile of road. a little steep too. might be a nice walk in spring but not likely rideable. it's marked open to bikes but that doesn't mean its useable. the upper parts maybe are better but one has to get past the lower part first. it would be hard even to walk a bike down thru the rocks.

diane sue, benadryl is OTC and makes a lot of people sleepy. have you ever tied it? same thing with tylenol PM or advil pm. I never found melatonin did anything, but some find it helps. prescription Ambien? its a sleep aid and a couple nights might break the pattern that is keeping you up. you do not want to take it all the time.

CDorner Low Impact all standing today, 41 minutes, heart rate 149/178, 258 calories, 3,923 steps. I also did CDorner 20 minute quick and intense ab workout, 21minutes, 51calories, heart rate 87/120, 28 steps. I finished with CDorner Full Body deep stretch, 21 minutes, heart rate 74/86, 26 calories. Total time was 83 minutes, 335 calories, 3,951 steps.
I almost quit the low impact workout. I just did not like the music and was bored I guess. I kept checking the time on my watch. It felt long. Maybe it was just my mood. I needed something more lively. The abs was "abs". reverse crunch variations, oblique twists and bicycle variations, one plank segment on forearms, some on side moves and superman lat pulls. I had to adjust the last move. I doubt I will go back to it again. I will be back to finish reading posts.

Valerie, most of those things leave me groggy the whole next day. Same with things like Niquil. I have tried a sleep supplement with Melatonin and a couple of other ingredients, but it usually helps me fall asleep for a little while and I wake back up and it messes with sleep patterns. I did better last night. Woke up off and on, but would get a drink and put a lozenge under my tongue so I would quit coughing and I would fall back to sleep.

Went and walked at the zoo today. Realized when I was about 6 miles out that my watch was still on its charger. Oh well. Cool and nice low attendance, so nice for walking.

Valerie sorry the area you tried to ride today was a bust. I'm sure it was frustrating.

Diane Sue so sorry that you are having so many sleep issues. I hope you find something that works, bad sleep just makes everything so much harder. I've yet to find something that works to help me sleep when I'm having issues. Either it doesn't work at all, puts me in a zombie state or work only for a short time.

Carolyn hope everything was good at your appointment.

Yesterday I did Live Burn Sets Lower Body and a 30 minute outdoor walk. Last night I went to the gym with Chris and did an upper body workout. Today I did a 70 minute outdoor walk and an hour of Yin Yoga.

Diane Sue-I'm sorry about your sleep. It's really hard to find something that helps and that doesn't have a lot of side effects. I hope you can find something that works.

Cathy-I'm glad you made it back. It sounds like you had a good trip.

Carolyn-I hope you had a good physical this morning. I'm getting my flu shot on Saturday.

Valerie-Great job with the hikes. It's too bad the location wasn't rideable.

Valerie, sorry that you are having issues with Weight Watchers. I use my tablet for most things. Phone though for Google maps though and Whole Foods shopping. For some reason I cannot do orders through Amazon for Whole Foods on my Tablet App. I would have to log in via internet instead, so I use my phone or laptop. Whole Foods is changing the end of next month to a 10 dollar service charge on top of the tip. Prime has been free for that till now. Just a tip. It sure was nice when we were out of town, I ordered on my cell phone and set it up to have groceries delivered a couple of hours after we got home. No need to go out. The weather here has been nice up till today and that was a bit of rain. Not cool out though. Just perfect to me. I would not want to be riding a bicycle where there was traffic. Traffic always scared me when we were out on a motorcycle. Quite awhile ago, we had a preacher at a church we were going to that was really into bicycle riding and he went out with one of the maintenance guys on a country road and someone in a truck hit them both. It was so hard that his helmet had flown off. He had some brain issues for awhile. And some speaking problems when he was back to the church. It got better over time. They never said who the pick up truck driver was. I am sure they kept it quiet since it was a smaller out of Oklahoma city area. People really do not pay attention to road signs and what is going on around them when they get out of the city. I have seen and heard so many accidents where someone just did not stop at a stop sign because it is out around fields and stuff. I am careful when entering intersections where we live because it is a lot of open area and fields and when I head to town, there is lots of trees covering speed signs and blocking view at the stop sign before you see the turnpike. Lots of card just do not stop.

Cathy, I hate when Google Maps does that to me. The last time I went out for a ladies group, it was a place I had only been to once and the farthest one from me. Fortunately I knew some of the area, so I changed the route from driving around the lake. I don't know why it wanted me to take that route and I knew that there is lots of traffic that direction. I just hoped I wasn't making a mistake, but it went well. Google just usually gives up trying to make you turn around after awhile and goes along. At least a lot of the time.

Carolyn, I have no idea why the power went out. No storms or anything. New area though and who knows. I took a cold shower and got dressed just in case someone came to the door. We have had so many workers come to get in our back yard. It seems all of those boxes they need to get to are in our planter. They came to get into our electric box recently to hook up a new street light on the corner behind and two house lots over. I thought that was weird. The cable company came out to tell me they were removing rock from my planter and would put it back so they could run a cable line from the box to the other side of the fence where they had a back hoe working. I swear I should not have had to pay the over 300 dollars I gave to have the cable company set that all up and run the line to our house. Apparently they only had AT&T out here. Once we got Cox two neighbors got it that I know of and they had to come to our back yard. Fortunately the planter is planted well so I do not have to look out at the electric and cable boxes from the patio. At least till winter anyway. A couple of the plants died because of the hard freeze.
Yes, Boss Bands Glutes and Core floor work was pretty much what most of that type of workout is. I liked the quicker pace of the standing work. I made an appointment for my wellness annual check up the first week in December so will wait till then to get my flu shot, unless I just feel like stopping at the smaller pharmacy that I have went to before when I head north for something again. My primary doctor left. And the new doctor that was supposed to start there in June that she recommended is not there now. I am bummed about that. I checked on the internet where this other doctor works and it is a bit closer to me, but the checking out insurance it said I had to call to ask about Medicare. That is one of the problems with being on Medicare and finding doctors. I have been at the same clinic for many years. Only two left there. The original doctor's daughter and one that was there from the first and came from another where the original doctor was working before he got his own clinic. So, to be sure I got an appointment, I went ahead and made one with the one I went to several years ago.

Judy, nice workouts yesterday and today. Is work still busy or has it slowed back down some?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.