Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/21

Good morning,

I didn't wake up until 4:40 this morning, which is late for me. I guess I needed to sleep in.

Lynda, we have a Norway maple in our front yard, and it is the last to turn in the fall, it's like it goes all at once too, looks so pretty when it does.

Lori, what is the difference between the regular iPad and the Air? size?

Josie, will be watching for your e-mail.

Hi to Valerie, & Judy,

not much going on here, same stuff, different day,

take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Dancin' Abs (58:00).

Lori, that's a lot of working out for your legs--hitting them with every type of exercise, too. Did Chester chew up the furniture like Marley?

Deb, just think, when you retire you can sleep later and do a workout whenever you want.

Josie, what kind of work do you do in camp?

Today is DH's birthday, so we will be going out to dinner at a place that does Mediterranean food--Greek. He hasn't had lamb in ages.

Hi to Judy and Valerie!

Good afternoon ladies.

This morning I ran 2 miles on the TM and tonight I think I'll be doing Cathe's Live from today.

Lynda...yup you would think the book was about Chester. He is a rather large yellow lab too. We kept him in a crate while we were out but my husband and son would feel bad for him and let him out then they would leave for a couple hours. Well that would be all he needed...he has chewed furniture, the corner moldings, he pretty much ate all my shoes, some jewelry, cell phones. He loves zippers! Go figure this one. He has ruined all our wooden doors by clawing. Has ripped all the screens on the patio several times. Chewed the fence in the yard to get out. One new years eve I was away and when speaking with my DH while he was at work he said he did not have the heart to crate him because it was a Holiday...well DH came home to a sea of downfeathers in the bedroom. Chester had tore up 2 king pillows. We still find feathers in odd places. He of course is much better now. He is 9 and FINALLY calmed down about a year ago. When we first bought him we tried obedience school but they asked us to leave because he was so disruptive in the class! After all this we love him bunches. Have a great dinner tonight!

Deb...I think you mentioned you have the Ipad2. The difference is the Air is the 5th generation. Does the same thing but faster and the size is a little more compact which I love. Had they not given my such a great deal I would have stayed with my ipad 2 for a while longer. I like having verizon on this new one though.

Josie...same here! Send and email! Would be glad to help.

Hi to Judy and Valerie!

Good morning and Happy Friday!

This was a long week, and so looking forward to the weekend.

Lynda, How was your DH 's birthday dinner? one of the benefits of retirement, not being tied down to a clock for workouts, or whatever. Is it like being on vacation when you were working? of course the "vacation" just doesn't end.

Lori, OMG Chester was ( or still kind of is) a handful! You and your DH have to have a lot of patience, and you must have gotten really attached to him...did you get him as a puppy?

Hi to Josie, Judy, and Valerie,

Any plans for the weekend? We are going to a Barn Hunt seminar on Sunday, and then I scoot over to a wedding shower at noon...Barn Hunt is a new AKC titling event, where the dogs are let loose in a barn like setting with hay bales all piled up and spread around where they have to find a rat that is hidden in a tube like contraption. ...and yes, it's a live rat, but the dogs can't get to it. I can't wait to see what our 2 do with this.

Work, then agility class with Kylee...

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

I went spinning today and tomorrow I signed up for the ALC kick off training season and will be riding 40 miles. I think my booty can handle that :)

Garance, the roadies are the back bone of the ALC ride. I signed up for pack up which means that I will be helping in maintaining the camp clean and setting up and breaking down the dinning areas. I wanted a physical job so that I can get my workouts in :). There are many jobs available and you can check it out at aidslifecycle.org under roadies.

Deb, I love not having a schedule. It's the best part of being retired.

Lori, Chester sounds like a character.

Hi to Valerie and Judy!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Flextrain (56:36).

Deb, the Barn Hunt sounds ideal for Max. He does this all the time and is frequently successful with mice and the occasional chipmunk. I totally agree with Josie--no time commitments if you don't want them. We had a nice dinner, but DH wanted the big appetizer plate with all the Greek specialties--baba ghanouj, falafel, hummus, stuffed grape leaves, tzatziki--and I probably ate too much of this, because I brought most of my shrimp scampi home. DH, of course, also had baklava and totally finished off his lamb kebabs.

Lori, Chester does sound like Marley's twin. Your DH and DS also sound like Chester-enablers. Crates are wonderful and make dogs feel secure when they are alone, so leaving him out was not doing him (or you) any favors. It's great that you stuck with him. Reminds me of my alpha-male Paddy, who seemed to attract trouble and was potentially lethal if another male dog attacked. It was awful walking him--I never knew when some other dog would lunge at us. I loved him, though, and wish he had been neutered as a puppy. When I started dating DH, Paddy chewed up his sweaters. They eventually became good friends.

So Josie, you are going to do the training again, but not the big ride? It's such a great charity.

Have a great weekend everyone! I will probably go to a movie.

Good evening ladies!

I had today off. Did a lot of running around. The beautiful mirrors I received from work will end up in our living room. My DH fell in love with them and said these are way too nice to be in the basement. I did agree with him. So the living room they will go and today I went out to home depot and lowes for options. I ended up buying mirrored closet doors. I did not install the track of course but hung them side by side behind my wall mounted barre. The cost was $75 and they look amazing! Felt this was a cheap alternative for the amout of mirror I ended up with.

Lynda...I totally agree about crates. I was for it and my DH and DS hated it. They finally agreed with me. I use to tell people our home depreciated every day of Chester's existence! We did fall in love with him because he is a total love bug when he is not eating things and we knew he would end up euthanized because no one would put up with him. Sounds like you and DH had a great dinner.

Deb...yes we bought him as a puppy from a pet store in a mall. I know you are not suppose to but we were driving by a mall that one of our restaurants was in. We stopped to order a pizza to take home and while waiting went to the pet store and ending up buying a puppy. He just looked so sad and we wanted to take him home and give him love.

Josie...that sounds awesome what you will be doing. Good for you. Again, send the email as I will love to support you.

Tomorrow is a girls day. Meeting my sons girlfriend and her mom for breakfast then shopping and eventually lunch. Will be a lot of fun.

Hi to Judy and Valerie!

Last edited:
Good morning,

No class today, which was a nice surprise. When I went to class last night, we were asked to stay and break down all the equipment, put it away. Usually it stays up for today's classes. The Friday instructor said, there are no classes tomorrow. Nice! I like class a lot, but it's good to have a free morning on Saturday sometimes.

Josie, doing a job to support the ride is a great way to stay involved. Send me the link for the donation when you can.

Lynda, enjoy the movie! I heard about one on the way home from work yesterday, called "The Judge". It sounded like it might be a good one. Nothing more frightening than a dog fight. Some dogs, like your Paddy send off some kind of signal to other dogs, and even if they are neutered, dogs will go after each other. It just depends on the dog.

Lori, don't feel guilty for buying a puppy in a mall pet store. I wouldn't do it today, but I can see how you can fall in love with them and want to take one home. That was Chester's lucky day! You need to send pics of the mirrors! I have 2 large ones in my workout area, my father's wife did hair out of the house for a while, so they had converted a part of the house into a hair salon with it's own entrance etc. When she didn't want to do that anymore, they converted the room back, and gave me a couple of the mirrors that were hanging in there. John put them up for me in my workout area. It makes a huge difference...as it makes the area look a lot larger. Especially in a low ceilinged basement.

Mostly HouseMax for me today. John is going fishing in a few minutes, my cousin is all tied up today with political stuff so she is not free to do anything.

Hi to Judy, & Valerie,

Take care,

Take care,

Hi all. We are on our way home after a good trip. Weather was too good but tanked last night, and will be wet here for a few days. Did a hike and a lot of my biking. ski resorts have th best trails..grand targhee was the best riding we've ever done and the fall colors were great. The downside is elevations to around 8000 feet. Also rode near sun valley and a near Yellowstone. Hard to ride until you get used to the altitude .....whew!

My aunt had a yellow lab who sounds like Chester ....only he was Jack.... He ate the curtains one time and needed surgery to clear the blockage. He was pretty well trained but she let his training slide and he's got into more and more trouble... Deb were fox terriers originally trained to catch rats.?

More when I get home

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.