Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/30

Deb, we got in the mileage on our ride but ended up on roads more than trails. not smart to ride near where trees are falling! its the best time f year for most trails because they are dry, obstacles removed, and crowds are less. there is a big flurry of activity in may and june, and then it tapers off so pretty quiet in september. we expect this weekend will be BUSY. we ride all year and back off mt biking when too busy and too warm. I enjoy everything more when its cooler. most trails are two way. safer and more fun when not as many people. also fewer horses. bikes always yield to horses. we are dry here too, but that is usual here.
Congrats on Kylee's invitation. be proud of you, since the trainer is mostly responsible. you need a trainable dog but mostly a good trainer.

never too late for braces. at 55, I at first thought I was "too old" but it turned out to be worth the temporary discomfort. now 15+ years later I'm glad I did it. we had insurance, covered at 50%. not even that expensive when you look at how costly overall dental things are. women in my family live a long time and everyone kept most of their teeth.

we will do a road ride this morning. then will try to get in an upper body weight workout. I was doing so well and it hasn't been at the top of my list lately.

thanksgiving will be a question mark for sure. no... I would not want a group of 25 people getting together. especially family since everyone will forget safety protocols in about 2 seconds. I think it will be only DH and myself this year.

Today I did Rev’d Up Rumble for 41 minutes and 299 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Deb, nice job with Live Burn Sets Biceps & Triceps yesterday and Live Burn Sets Lower Body today. Congratulations to you and Kylee on the AKC invitation. That’s a tribute to your hard work and dedication.

Diane Sue, great job with Step Sync Intermediate Bonus, Raw All About Glutes, and LiTE Extended Stretch. I remember seeing the Dude Wipes guys on Shark Tank.

Valerie, nice work getting in your ride yesterday.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, and Lori.

back from a road ride 1 hr 15 min. 15 miles. lots of pedestrians this morning acting like road blocks.

I think I was a much better patient as a mature adult than I would have been as a teenager. I took it seriously and kept my teeth clean and didn't whine.

Today I did Coffey FIt Raw Cardio Overload 2, 35 minutes, heart rate 129/171, 183 calories, 3,364 steps and wore a 4#vest. I then did Raw Cardio Tone and left on the 4# vest, 30 minutes, 157 calories, heart rate 132/161, 2,554 steps. Total time 65 minutes, 340 calories, 5,918 steps. We did virtual school and a zoom session this morning. A few problems had to be worked out. We did not get to finish his reading test to see how well can read. He pushed a button to quit and I couldn't get it back. I did manage the zoom session. Hopefully it works tomorrow. Zoom was mainly each child doing a roll call, telling something they like to do, a bit of discussing things with the children and a roll call at leaving the group. Anyway, I did not get to the workout till after that. So many issues today with the schooling, me getting locked out of my Cathe streaming account, getting signed in and setting up. I finally got set up this evening after the children went home. I need to get to bed. I have not been feeling real well the last couple of days. The allergies and stuff and just wiped out. I need more than 5 hours of sleep. I even felt bad enough this afternoon that I checked my temp, but it was fine. I think I just need sleep.

Deb, that is wonderful that you got that from AKC. I bet it makes you proud of Kylee and the work you both have put in. My daughter was unsure how things were going to work out and asked me ahead of time if I could keep the children till schools started having in class. Everything sort of fell into place near the last minute and she has spent a lot of time lately just going to meetings and learning how they were going to handle everything. This is going to be quite a project getting children, particularly grade school to get online and do the work. Young ones will need help and supervision and there is the problem of parents wanting to help them with the answers. Also you will probably find some children half dressed or in their pajamas doing school. My daughter checked on her son and asked if his class had half the class missing shirts and half dressed doing zoom this morning like her class did. Things I guess people do not think about. They should send out a parental e mail telling them the children need to wear proper clothing or something

Valerie, nice that you got a ride in. I don't think I would like all of those pedestrians. That would be quite irritating. I find it annoying anyway when people think they need to walk in the road. Particularly when there is grass or a sidewalk. We have sidewalks and a bicycle late in our area. I was headed to church the other day and this crazy guy is walking in the street. I wonder why we paid for sidewalks! The City has this big project of putting sidewalks all over the place. I think as adults we all would be much more attentive to doing things just right where younger people are not that careful. We have dental insurance. I guess that makes sense. It is probably not that terrible.

Carolyn, nice work with Rev'd Up and Rumble today. I kind of remember the Dude wipes now that you mention it. We watched Shark Tank all of the time. In fact I got some K Cups of different coffee flavors from Amazon that were featured on Shark Tank. They are Smart Sips. I ran across them when I was looking for decaf in flavors. I bought snickerdoodle flavored. It is kind of a mild cinnamon flavor to it.

I cant really complain too much about pedestrians, because this trail is open to walkers, runners, bicycles,and horses. trail width varies. everyone is supposed to stay to the right and pass on the left. the trouble with groups is they spread out across the whole trail. when we come up on them, we shout " on your left" to make presence known. it's often stroller moms who are talking or have ear buds in, or they are old people who are half deaf! if you shout too early, they can't hear you, but if you wait until close, you have to slow down while they move to the right. and sometimes people move left instead. if you wait too long and then shout, some people are surprised and jump! the more people the more annoying it is, because its each person, both directions. last time we rode it was quiet, but today a lot of people were wandering 3 abreast with kids, dogs, long leashes, and strollers.

there are big functional reasons for braces if your teeth are crooked or wearing badly. its nice mine ended up looking nice, but I did it to fix my "bite" and align them to reduce wear. that they looked better was nice but mostly, I wanted to head off trouble. Dentures or partials are not my idea of something to look forward to. the techs were always struggling to get the young patients to do what they needed to. I was EASY. I was on time, teeth were clean/ brushed, didn't whine, etc. I was uncomfortable sometimes ( 2 advil level) but I am glad I did it.

Last edited:
Today I did Cathe Live #311 Cardio Muscle Confusion, 42 minutes, heart rate 105/148, 136 calories, 1,692 steps. It used the stability ball for some of the cardio and I do not like the swinging the ball overhead side to side. I never liked that move for some reason. It was okay, but won't be a favorite. I really did not have much time to look at workouts and think about what I want to do. School and working to get things done late does not give a lot of spare time. I got 6 hours of sleep last night which is better than the last 3 days. I usually am awake before my silent alarm goes off, but I slept through 10 minutes of it. I am exhausted. The workout was not all that intense which was fine with me. I also did Raw Core Moves since I was already using the stability ball, 24 minutes, 47 calories, 209 steps.
Total time was 66 minutes, 183 calories, 1,875 steps.
#311 Cardio Muscle Confusion 42 minutes 6 rounds
warm up using 5# dumbbells
rnd 1
walking lunges with plie turns 12# dumbbells
ball slams with jumps stability ball
decline push ups on ball
rnd 2
arnold press side to side step 10# dumbbells 16 reps
gliding discs side slide lunges 10# dumbbells
double arm rows 20# dumbbells 16 reps
plank jacks/ moguls
Rnd 3
Gliding discs jacks
reverse lunges with biceps curls 8's
incline curl with stability ball 12# dumbbells
lunges with ball circles 24 reps
Rnd 4
snatce with plie jack 8# dumbbell
deadlift 20# dumbbells 16 reps
sumo squat 20# dumbbells 16 reps
discs mountain climber circles
Rnd 5
scissor scissor jump
cross back lunges 12# dumbbells
front side raises alternating arms 5# dumbbells
triceps push ups stability ball
Rnd 6
ball seated jacks ( if I were to do this again I would do jacks standing)
hamstring roll ins on ball
sit outs
glute bridge triceps extensions 12# dumbbells

I had to take care of several things this morning, so no workout today. One thing that I needed to do was renew my car tags. I did not mail in the renewal because I was afraid that it wouldn’t come in time. Going in person was a hassle with the distancing and limited people allowed in the building at one time, but at least it’s done.

Diane Sue, did you subscribe to Cathe Live again? Nice workouts! Getting your grandchildren set up for virtual school sounds like a big job. I think that parents and caregivers should try to maintain the school routine to include getting dressed. Some after school programs here are offering tutors to monitor virtual school so that parents can work. I hope that you can get more rest.

Hello to Valerie, Deb, Cathy, Judy, and Lori.

Valerie, that would be frustrating when it gets that busy. They have checked my bite and everything. That is okay. I just have some crookedness on the bottom center teeth. I probably should do something with it. I do understand if there is a bite problem it could lead to other problems. Generally my dentist office sends me a reminder card and they call to set up an appointment. I have heard nothing from them since all of this started. The only reason I know they are taking patients is because I looked on their website.

Carolyn, yes I did sign up for CL for 6 months this time as they had a discount code. I have been wanting to do it again and there is over a 100 more workouts than when I was doing them before. A few I saw that peaked my interest. I just chose the workout that was on my birthday today since I really had not gone over the workouts.
I usually renew our car tags online. Otherwise we have to go around the corner to a tag agency. I don't like going in there and sitting if I do not have to. Still go there to renew my license though.

I'm not selling braces here! my teeth were leaning and crowded, flossing was tough. I was not willing to have any teeth pulled. my lowers were crowded and tilted. they filed the upper tooth side edges back slightly and then everything fit together with enough space to floss. such a simple fix. I asked my regular dentist if he thought I'd be a good candidate, then evaluated by an orthodontist. 55 was not "too old". where I went there was a 80+ woman doing it, so age is not the issue. it was a positive experience overall, and my teeth look better and much easier to care for.
I've been cleaned twice since covid, once right when it started. the first cases were close by, we had the first national cases locally. I felt fine with the protective measures. I do what is needed and feel comfortable. getting a physical later today, and then medical things are done for a while.

we do car tabs by mail here. sometimes the notices don't leave a big time window. I order them ASAP when we get the notice.

I feel bad for parents trying to figure out the schooling business. what a mess for them, and for the kids.

we mt biked this morning but cut it way short. the logging operation was too close so we did most of the uphill ride and bailed at 45 minutes. will skip this area until they get done.

I did chiseled upper body and abs #1 later, before dinner. I get dinner started and then take an exercise break. keeps me out of the kitchen and my mind off snacking.

Last edited:
Today I did Fit Tower Advanced Legs, Glutes, and Core. That was 45 minutes and 101 calories burned. My average heart rate was 91 and maximum heart rate was 121. I also did Ellen Barrett’s Quick Cardio from the 7 Day Challenge which was 15 minutes and 95 calories burned. Average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 153.

Valerie, that’s too bad that your ride was cut short. Nice job with Chiseled Upper Body.

Waving hello to all. Have a wonderful day.

I managed to fit in Cathe Live Cardio Play Date #297, 38 minutes, 204 calories,heart rate 127/157, 4,034 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Body Design yoga and cool down, 16 minutes, 37 calories, 149 steps, heart rate 96/123.
Total time 54 minutes, 241 calories, 4,183 steps. My day was really busy and I had to really work to get on my grandson's lessons. Finding them and figuring out how to print them from his school ipad was not easy. Links were not all working. I am gradually learning where things are. Couldn't print the test he was supposed to do to see how much he knew after we watched the video of what was on the test. I ended up hand writing the problems and then had him do the test as they went through each test, then had to figure out how to upload it and submit it. What a lot to put on the parents of these children!! Also, poor teachers learning all of it. I can't leave him alone with the tablet, because he pushes buttons like he does for games and wants to move on to something else when he gets bored. The second Zoon meeting would not let me on for him. I managed to get the first one with a link my daughter gave me with a password on a text on my cell phone so I gave him my phone. tried the ipad and the phone in the afternoon and I couldn't get on. I am not good at this stuff.

Valerie, I usually send my tag renewal in to the government office for it, and they send me an email when it is coming due. I have the dates on my bill pay sheets I print up each month so I will see it there as well.

Carolyn, I am wondering if I would like the Fit Tower Bootcamp 2 workout on Cathe Live. I wrote it down last night on a list of some I want to try. If I had time I would preview some of it. Nice work today. I end up doing premixes of the Fit Tower Advanced workouts as add ons.

Good morning,

No workouts to report. Agility classes Wednesday, Thursday and one today, so I will count those, even though the dogs are doing most of the running...:). Thank you all for the congratulations on Kylee's invitation.

Valerie, I would not want to be anywhere near where trees are falling either. If we cancel Thanksgiving, it will be the 1st time in almost 30 years that we have not done it. Sad :(

Carolyn, good job on Rev'd Up Rumble & the Fit Tower workouts! I hear you on going to the DMV! I just did my car registration renewal on line. I hope I get it back in time.

Diane Sue, there are so many great LIVE workouts....I hope the spreadsheet I sent you the second time works better...How many grand kids are you teaching? I think it is great that you can do this for your daughter. My friend's (that passed away) grandchildren will need to be taught at home, and her daughter ( their mother) is a teacher that has to go to the school to teach 4 days a week. She teaches in a different school district than the one her kids are in. She has asked her father to do the teaching at home for them. He is a nervous wreck about it. He will need to learn how to use a Chromebook, besides all the "new" math and things he has never been exposed to. I don;t know how all these parents are going to handle all this. Agree, kids should have to dress like they are going to school and follow a planned schedule.

Hi to Lori, Judy & Cathy,

Take care,

Good morning. got my hair done yesterday and then annual physical. not a big deal except my doc moved a couple years ago and now its a long drive to get there and back. I knew when I scheduled I'd be in holiday traffic. wanted to get it done mainly to discuss the issues I've had with the estrogen cream that came up the last few months. seem to have developed a sensitivity to some ingredient. a few things to try but needed to get it going ASAP.
Deb is it possible to work out some compromise if everyone plans ahead complies? with food and wine it will be hard to keep masks and distance. how can you eat with a mask on? split the even between two family members so crowd is less and people can distance? we'd work out something with cousin except they are moving as we speak. T day is soon to visit. travel is always totally awful, between longer dark hours, heavy traffic and usually rainy weather.
I think we have a good chance of social problems following the nov 3 election. does either side foresee this going smoothly? I sure don't.

school will be a challenge for everyone. IMO getting dressed for school will help with mindset and focus. will be hard enough to keep kids on task while at home, but they need some time structure. I personally think this will bring new admiration and understanding of the jobs teachers have and do all the time.

Last edited:
Today I did Cardio Party for 39 minutes and 297 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Diane Sue, nice job with Live Cardio Play Date and Body Design Yoga. If you like the FT Bootcamp will probably enjoy the Live version. I can really feel the soreness from FT Legs and Glutes today! Virtual school is hard on everyone. The school districts here are trying to gradually move to in person learning. Some are just starting with one day a week. There are so many changes for students and teachers to make to the normal routine.

Deb, the agility classes sound like a workout. Are you doing more classes than usual? I would probably feel the same as that grandfather if I had to oversee virtual school for my grandchildren. The pressure of getting the technology to work for schooling is different from using it for casual purposes.

Valerie, great job with Rev’d Up Rumble. It’s good that you have your annual physical completed. I have that coming up soon.

Hello to Lori, Judy, and Cathy.

Dang it's been longer than I thought since I checked in. :( Tuesday I did IMAX 3 step only, biceps and Step Boss Lying Stretch. Wednesday was CrossFire Low Impact Tabata and Triceps. Thursday was shopping. Friday was Lower Body Blast-I did the floor work and both of the leg conditioning sections. Today I did LIS Low Impact Challenge Premix 2, chest and LITE Extended Stretch 2.

Deb that's fantastic news about Kylee! Congratulations! My sister is currently on a plane from Minneapolis to Charlotte with her new puppy. A Coton de Tulear. They lost both their older dogs in the last year, the one just a few weeks ago.

Diane Sue I really can't imagine what it's like for all those trying to help kids with their online classes. Mine were homeschooled through 6th grade and part of 4th and honestly what we did sounds so much easier than dealing with multiple kids with multiple classes that have to done at a specific time online. I'm on a Twitter a lot and parents are just so over trying to deal with it all. Though I must say the other morning at 4 a.m (because I was wide awake) I was reading a hilarious thread about things people's kids had said in their live class or that their classmates had said. I was dying. Given how my husband dresses to work at home, I'm not sure there's much hope for kids-especially if they have seen their parents not really dressed for work at home. He has some Zooms each week, and I'm just waiting for him to forget he's on camera and get up to get something. :oops:

Valerie it has long been a pet peeve of mine when people don't grasp that a situation calls for being in a single file NOT spread out across the whole area.

Carolyn has your state made any accommodations for the virus in regards to renewing things? Michigan is giving people extra time who need to renew licenses or plates.

Sounds like everyone has had a great week of workouts!

I need to get caught up on posting. I've had mostly easy/active days this week. I did do more on Wednesday. I did KCM's new Super Sculpt (both workouts) in the morning and XTrain Ride in the evening.
I went back to work a couple of weeks ago. I'm only working 16-20 hours a week so it's not too bad. Almost everyone is wearing masks so I do feel safer than I did before. I just avoid the very few customers that aren't wearing them. In this area it seems that most people are compliant with wearing masks.

Deb-I don't think we will be going anywhere for Thanksgiving or having a special dinner this year. We have traveled to Indiana in the past to spend it with family but I am sure that won't happen this year, unfortunately.

Diane Sue-nice job with the Cathe Live workout! I've really been enjoying the ones she's made recently, where she is by herself.

Carolyn-great job with Cardio Party! I would not want to be overseeing virtual school. I don't envy anyone in that position. It just seems so incredibly stressful for everyone.

Valerie-I don't foresee much of anything going smoothly in November.

Cathy-Nice workouts this week! I sympathize with your sister losing 2 dogs in a year. We lost our 2 senior cats within 2 weeks of each other in 2013. It was devastating.
I had to google that breed. It looks like a very cute little dog.

Hi to Lori,

Today I did Cathe Live Express Your Step that included ab stacker at the end, 44 minutes, heart rate 113/151, 189 calories, 3,277 steps. I followed this with Kelly Coffey Body Fit Dvd premix Pull, back biceps, shoulders and abs. These do include the lower segments between upper rounds. This was 29 minutes, heart rate 97/133, 74 calories, 410 steps. Total time was 73 minutes, 263 calories, 3,687 steps.
Pulll Body FIt
Back
lawnmower 20# 13 reps
double arm row to stand 20# dumbbells 12 reps
plie 1 1/2 20# dbs 12 reps
repeat
Biceps
alternating hammer curl 20# dbs 10 reps
supination curl double arm 15# dbs 10 reps
front curl 15# dbs 10 reps
deadlift squat up 20# dbs 10 reps
repeat
Shoulders
bent over lateral raise 8# dbs 10# dbs second time
bent arm lateral raise 10# dbs
upright row up 1 down 3 count 10# dbs 10 reps
forward back lunge 10# dbs
Abs
crunches 15#
full sit up 15#
russian twist 15#
no weight explosive sit up
repeat

I had to go out grocery shopping and hit Walmart Market today. I got pretty much everything I needed this time. Maybe a trip to Sprouts for more fruits and vegetables another day. Funny, I got home and Amazon sent me an apology about not getting everything from Whole Foods offering me 10 dollars off of my next order. I may take them up on it next time.

Deb, thanks for sending the Live Excel sheet again and for the Live Download link that I have not seen before. The download worked this time. It will be very useful.
I feel bad for your friend's daughter's Dad having to do that. I would be in trouble with Chrome book. Math as well. Fortunately my granddaughter who is 12 is pretty smart and she was able to study and look up stuff to figure out the grammar stuff. I was good in my English classes . but that was long ago and they do some things a lot differently. A lot more complicated. I looked up stuff for her and spent time on it that night after she failed the online test, but she studied and worked on it till she finally got it herself. I am working with the 1st grader who cannot be handed the ipad to do things himself. Lessons take you to youtube classroom with the teacher, learning videos on youtube, and I need to find links to print up and upload and submit work. Classrooms would be more structured. I am working around what I need to do and if I can't get things right away, my grandson wanders off to play or turns on a television upstairs. He is at Nana's house. He is used to playing and us doing things together, not school. I did do the lessons my daughter had put together at one time when his brother now 20 was 5. He had a rough time at school and she decided to just have me do it for that year. That was easier as it was work planned out on paper and with books, not digital stuff and technology. I am hoping to get us into a pattern and get him to understand it is school time. I can't imagine teaching at the school and trying to keep up online school for children at home at the same time. It would be a lot of work.

Valerie, my grandchildren are all combed and dressed when they arrive. Their mother took off from teaching and homeschooled my 12 year old granddaughter and did daycare for awhile. When my grandson was ready for K4 she went back to work. My granddaughter has generally always been ahead of where she should be. She started a new school this year only virtually as this is her first year in middle school.
I got something from the breast care center reminding me about a mammogram. It sure seems that I just did it though. That means I am near time for my yearly check up as I usually do the mammogram ahead on my own so that my doctor can see results.

Carolyn, nice work with Cardio Party. It is a favorite workout for me. I think Fit Tower Advanced Bootcamp is my favorite of those workouts. It has a bit of cardio feel with the strength. I did kind of look over the Live Bootcamp workouts that she did after I had had live before. I am hoping to do the latest on Monday. It is an hour, so it will depend on school. I am not sure if they have school Monday as it is a holiday. It seems there is generally a zoom in the morning and again in the afternoon as kind of a roll call before and after school. I asked, but did not get an answer yet on Monday. I guess I should look at the ipad and see if work is scheduled for Monday.

Cathy, nice workouts this week. I had put out I Max 3 and X 10 thinking I would do them soon. They are still sitting out in my workout room. I bet parents and teachers have some funny stories with the online schooling. I know roll call takes awhile as not all of the children will have their audio on or one child all you could see was the top of the head when they were talking. She asked each one to tell two things they loved to do this summer which was cute for first graders. LOL on your husband and zoom. My grandson was eating a waffle when I finally got zoom working. I tried to get him to put it down before we started. He did once he was asked to talk. I told him he is in school and not to eat in class.

Judy, most people are compliant here too. I saw a guy come out of Walmart without one helping an elderly person into the car who had on a mask as he put the groceries in. Also saw a couple of women come out of DG without masks the other day, but that is it. The City met and extended the mask wearing longer. I have not been in Home Depot in months though so I am not sure how it is there. I have heard others say they liked the workouts with Cathe by herself. I guess they are going to be opening the gym pretty soon though. Nice work on Super Sculpt with Kelly and the X Train ride. I have enjoyed the new Kelly Coffey workouts. I did the whole workouts and have been going through the premixes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.