Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/18

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in. I'll try to post more later today. I have been working more hours than I planned. They have me at almost 40 hours a week for the next 3 weeks, and mostly closing shifts. If my hours don't go down in October I am going to have to talk to HR again and tell them that I only want a part time job. This isn't what I signed up for. I'd like to be working 4-6 hour shifts, 3-4 days a week, not 8+ hour shifts 4-5 days a week.

Judy

we are off to do a road ride. gray and cool morning, we get a lot of cloudy days in august. hard to get motivated but will ride anyway.

Judy, yes you need to make your limits clearer. is this related to vacation coverage? out here everyone is on vacation in august, before school starts in early september. also will come back later after our ride.

Valerie-yes, that's a good point. Lots of HD people are out on vacation and I was talking about this to another "part time" employee who is working as many hours as I am. Hopefully my hours will go down in October.

Judy that used to happen when I worked in a grocery store. all the full time people took vacations, and us part timers got more hours in the summer. people seemed to like august the best.

we rode 15 miles this morning. headed for a longer ride but the roads were recently chip sealed and covered with loose gravel..... not good at all! we did a shorter ride instead, but got it done.

Hi all,

Today I did LIVE Metabolic Meltdown, 45 minutes, 284 calories. I have really missed the Live workouts! There are so many new ones to choose from.

Valerie, hopefully your DH does not have Meniere's. Good that he is getting that colonoscopy soon. John had surgery to relieve the symptoms, and is completely deaf in one ear. Even though he cannot hear sound with it, it is constantly ringing or roaring. Not fun. The vertigo is almost 100% gone though he still gets dizzy if he turns too fast.

Diane Sue, I hope the PT works. Going twice a week is probably a smart thing. I was going every 2 weeks, and I think that is why it may have taken longer. The cost of $65 a month is just for parts C&D. For the parts from Medicare I pay $135 a month, so total $200. When I first retired and was not yet 65, I was paying way more.

Carolyn, that is great that your daughter drew a crowd for her talk !

Judy, I hope that they listen you at HD and give you the hours you want.

Valerie, nice job with the ride, even though not as long as you planned.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb sorry to hear John has to deal with that. getting old ( and developing health issues) is not for sissies! DH has been kind of stuck in limbo for several years with no plan available that met his needs. he is so happy to be getting on Medicare.! he has been paying a lot for basically only catastrophic coverage. he is not drawing SS yet, but soon. I started earlier. we did the math and it was best for us.
He needs an internal medicine person he trusts. its kind of tough when everyone you knew and respected has retired too, and you are sort of guessing at who will be a good person to see. the lady who replaced him is very good and he has seen her , but she has decided to move with her husband to Texas. so much for that. DH has put off having any procedures for a couple years now because they are out of pocket expenses and he is not too much over due on his next colonoscopy, so scheduled it right away for November. I think we will be paying about the same amount as you are.
DH stayed on Cobra as long as he could, but then there have been several years without any good choices. I hope he doesn't have Menieres since we like to hike and bike, and balance would be a big issue for those activities, in addition to "regular" life. not to mention hearing loss, dizziness and needing surgery to begin with. I'm optimistic he just had the displaced inner ear particles.

strong work on the metabolic workout.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Today I did a walking workout by iTread, 32 minutes, 226 calories.

Valerie, I also hope your DH does not have actual Menieres. John believes he got this from a virus that went undetected for too long. My SIL also had a virus that was not treated, and she also is deaf in one ear. Hers was never diagnosed as Menieres though.

I hope everyone has a great day!

One of the downsides of being a medical person is that even the slightest thing goes amiss, and you instantly think of a long and terrible list of what it might be. a big risk for him is colon and bladder cancer mainly due to family history but he checks and is screened regularly. hes already had 4 colonoscopies. his family didn't get these problems when they were young, only old but could have been caught early if they had been screened. no one would even do the "take home" stool cards! DH is doing all the right things. he wants to go to the same guy who has done his previous procedures and is set up for november. has a pretty easy prep and procedure, whereas its hell on wheels for me.

we are doing a low level ride with cousin and wife today, and Im making lunch so need to get rolling on cooking now.

Good evening ladies!

We had a lot of fun on the Cape. Made new friends and ate and drank too much!! I did manage to workout everyday so very pleased with myself. Came home Friday night instead of Saturday morning to beat all the traffic. We were home in 2 hours vs 3.5 it took us to get there. I did not workout Saturday...so much laundry and unpacking. Yesterday, I did a few of Linda Wooldridge’s newest YouTube series called Target 10. Each workout is 10 mins...did Upper, Lower barre and Abs. I really enjoyed her creativity in these workouts. For the abs we used a band in ways I never have before for core and I loved it. I followed up with a BBS dance workout.

Here is is the ab workout I mentioned.

Diane Sue...I made steak tips in the instant pot this morning. Needed something for lunch today so threw them in while getting ready. They were perfect and so easy!! I only did this because you mentioned making steak for your husband.

Judy...yes that is crazy that many hours!!! Oh to only work part time!! We are really into retirement mode...my husband turned 60 in July and hope to have him retire at 62. I turn 58 next month and still have a few years to go..we have a plan though and hoping all works out.

Valerie...15 miles is still a great ride! That is exactly what we did recently, signed on to SS and did the math to see what was best for us to maximize the most. Yes hoping all is good with your DH...being on a bike while dizzy would not be good. Hope you had an enjoyable ride today.

Deb...glad you are enjoying the Live workouts. Sorry I never updated the list for you. Just got so busy and had no time. I do miss some of the Live workouts but not enough to sign in. I really wasn’t doing them enough to justify the cost.

Carolyn...glad you had a nice trip visiting your daughter. Where in NC is she? I love Charlotte and always enjoyed visiting Madeline. I bet you were a Proud Mom at your daughter’s talk! :)

Have a great night all!

I have been so busy. I don't think I checked the computer at all yesterday. I have to do a fast house clean and run errands because tomorrow is full. Yesterday I did my therapy exercises and Fit Tower Advanced legs glutes and core Timesaver 1 legs and glutes (skipped the hands and knees part) 51 minutes total time 125 calories. Today I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Quick Fix #2 met 8.0, 212 calories, 31 minutes, heart rate average 143, max 168, 2,878 steps. I then did Raw Abs Finisher eliminating the overhead moves with the 8# dumbbell, 19 minutes, met 4.0, 176 steps, 65 calories. I finished with physical therapy exercises and some lower body stretching, 27 minutes, 40 calories. Total time was 77 minutes, 317 calories. Tomorrow, I will have to do something short as I have ladies game day that starts at 9 and will be running straight home to get to physical therapy at 1. We often end game day around 12:30.
We had a nice time and played cards when celebrating all of the birthdays. Everyone loved the cheese cake. I only have two pieces left and they are in the freezer as well as the chocolate cake.

Judy, I bet after vacation time you get fewer hours. School started last week here.

Deb, I am hoping to sign onto Cathe Live again soon as I get rid of this shoulder and neck issue. Your medicare cost sounds like mine. I am hoping that tomorrows PT is helpful. I have been doing what they told me too, but today it really hurts after cleaning and ironing.

Valerie, I have had several doctors that I liked and trusted retire or move away. I am glad that I have the one I have now, but worried since she has RA and only is working in the office two days a week. I do not like change. I would hate to have to search out another doctor. I was hoping to go over the medicare with my husband this weekend, but it ended up being non stop busy. Speaking of being a medical person, my daughter always gives the worst case scenarios. She looked at my Smart Beat results and told me maybe they would want to put in a stint. I was like no way!! I told her that they said the results sometimes are over read and that is why I am having the echo and thyroid ultrasound. So, today I went out and purchased more macadamia nut milk since I like that okay in my iced matcha tea and coffee. I bought oatmeal with flax and chia seed and had some for lunch today. I rarely eat grains. Trying to cut a bit more fat. I read asparagus is good for the heart so picked up some and roasted it for dinner with salmon, which I eat once or twice a week anyway. They forgot to give me a bag when I left Sprouts. I put things away and realized I did not have the asparagus. I paid for it though. I had to go back. When I came home again, I looked at the receipt to be sure I was not missing anything else. I was also missing the 3 pink lady apples. I did not go back for those. It is hot out there and I was trying to get some cleaning done. The girl walked over and looked in a shopping cart in the front of the store looking through bags that I gather were left behind to see if one had my asparagus. I guess it must happen a lot. It has happened to me in the past.

Lori, the standing abs look like something that I would like. I was thinking the other day that I have a standing abs workout that I should dig out. It is like a crunchless abs workout. I find it is so easy to just brown the steak and then sit it on the rack with some broth underneath and pressure cook it. I sprinkle a bit of liquid smoke on it and some seasoning that I rub in. Even not so tender cuts cook up nicely.

Carolyn, those trips can be so nice, but really do leave you feeling exhausted by the time you get home. We did one once though that was so relaxed and slow with no real purpose and I think it was the best trip we ever took. We stopped and visited friends, did sight seeing along the way, and took breaks and would just get a hotel and sit for awhile before we moved on.

Good morning,

Today I did LIVE Totally Pumped Total Body...55 minutes, 298 calories. Whew! this one is tough. Anyone with LIVE ever do this? Not only are the exercises hard, this is one that she changes at warp speed. I missed the first couple reps on some of them, just trying to get the weight and start.

Valerie, I agree....when there are a list of symptoms/diseases, we always think the worst.

Carolyn, I missed your trip info!! where did you go and for how long?

Lori, welcome back! It sounds like a very nice trip. Thanks for the video post. Looks like a great ab workout, the best part is that it is standing. LOL... I get it on having LIVE or not, when mine expired in November, I did not renew because I was not using it to make it worth while.. There are so many new ones now, its hard to pick one to do!

Diane Sue, that is really busy! Nice to enjoyed the time with your family. That had to be so frustrating, having to go back to the store then finding out there were other things you did not have.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

This morning I did Party Rockin Step 2, 52 minutes, heart rate average 144, max 182, 345 calories, 4,498 steps. I am leaving for PT in a few minutes. Game day was fun and lots of laughs. We got done a little early so whoever could go, could see one of the ladies new homes that she is moving into now. They had it built. I did not have time to go and get back for PT.

Deb, I do not like workouts where things change over quickly. At least with a dvd you can pause or restart a chapter if it takes to long to get what you need. I suppose if they can do it and you have things set up right it would move faster. I end up pausing a lot. I am going to have to keep an eye on my bags when they put them in my cart from now on. That was rather irritating along with my neck pain and the heat. I just did not want to do it again for two apples. I was also put off a bit by all of the gnats on the asparagus. I bought it home and washed it real well and diced it up into a container to refrigerate.

This morning I did Lean Legs and Abs. That was 48 minutes and 195 calories burned. My average heart rate was 110 and maximum heart rate was 141. I ran a couple of errands after my workout and I had to go to the grocery store since there was nothing to eat here.

Deb, that’s great that you are doing the Cathe Live workouts again. I remember that you enjoyed them. I always had to preview them first and make a workout sheet in order to have the right equipment available. We went to North Carolina last week to visit my daughter and her family. We were gone for five days.

Lori, the Barlates Abs looks good. It is similar to a JS standing abs except for the band and side leg move. We were in Durham, NC. It was our first time seeing the new house that they bought last fall. They have gone from 1400 square feet to about 4000 square feet. The old house was much too small for four people. Quite a difference!

Diane Sue, nice work getting your workout done before game day and your PT appointment. It’s very frustrating to buy something at the store and not make it home with it. That’s happened to me a few times.

Hello to Judy and Valerie.

Just checking in to say we hiked today, and it was quite nice although too hot and somewhat buggy. we got most of the way up before it got warm, but finally FINALLY a good hike without a crapload of other people. this is very obscure, and off a road that has been mostly closed for at least 10 years but recently accessible again because I have followed the access for years. it was a stiff climb up, not an extreme amount of elevation, but very brushy and very slanted because of the brush pushing you downhill, and a fair number of big trees to climb over. about 5 hours 15 minutes. more tomorrow.

Good morning,

No workout today. Woke up to a flooded basement, really bad. :(. Waiting for the plumbing service to get here. They will need to pump out the basement, then access what damage may have been done to out boiler, freezer, treadmill etc. Needless to say, I am very upset right now. I did do 11, 651 steps yesterday.

Will check back later...

Total bummer Deb. good luck with the mess. Hope you find the reason quickly. you will get plenty of steps today, and probably the next few days.
I will take today off. we can pick up our fixed camper today, finally. what a long process. we have not had it all summer, getting skylight replaced. it was leaking and caulking didn't help. part was backordered, then supplier was on their summer break, so the whole process has been going on since late may or june.

Caroline that is quite a leap, almost tripling their space.

diane sue hope you get more clear information on your health checks. so upsetting to get half an answer.
it is such an annoyance when you get home and something is missing. I don't usually go back but take my receipt and collect whatever is owed on my next trip. I lost a peach on my last Costco run. box was full when I bought it, and missing one when I got home. I didn't notice when I loaded it in my car.

Lori that's an interesting ab workout. I could get to like that I think. I have no problem with floor abs, kind of like that I get to lie down!

This morning I did a Rockout Knockout premix for 43 minutes and 310 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 164. I often confuse this workout with Rock ‘m Sock ‘m. Once I put the wrong one in the DVD player. The covers look similar and the names have a similar sound. Anyway, I enjoyed it.

Deb, I’m so sorry about the flooded basement! What a terrible thing to wake up to. I hope your appliances and treadmill are not badly damaged.

Valerie, I’m glad that you were able to get in a nice hike yesterday. Yes, as the kids got older it was hard to function in that cute little house. Everyone is happy now.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday was a LEKfit bounce/sculpt and a bbs bounce/sculpt. I had a dinner meeting last night and an early morning meeting this morning, so no workout this morning. :(

Diane Sue...I could see how standing abs would be better for your neck. You can find a few on Youtube. I know I have done some by Popsugar that I have enjoyed.

Deb...oh so sorry about your basement!! Been there and it stinks. 10 years ago our sump pump burnt out in the middle of the night. We woke up to a flooded basement. Horrible since we have a finished basement. Hope you got it pumped out quickly and the damage is minimal. At the time we did not have the RIDER for insurance. Was not aware we needed it. So that really stunk!! We have the rider now! My treadmill bed was completely covered in water. I lifted it up and water poured out if it. I cried! But, once it dried out it was fine. Like nothing happened. Hopefully, yours will be fine too. I feel your pain.

Carolyn...yes that sounds like quite the improvement with the home! I bet it is beautiful! Lol on mixing up the kickboxing workouts. I can see that happening.

Valerie...I really like how she used the bands. Mixed things up for me. I forgot you had a camper. Any trips planned? Your hike sounded great, minus the bugs. When I walk GiGi sometimes when we get in the wooded areas it is ridiculous with things swarming all round.

Have a great night all...I am going to bed early!

Hi to Judy!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.