Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 8/04

diane sue I've had good luck with Soft scrub cleanser, the creamy liquid kind with bleach. I'd stripe some on the grout and leave it for a while. then wipe it off. if you scrub with a brush you will get spray particles that will bleach whatever it lands on. (my DH has proven this a million times) after you wipe most of it off, then you can use a brush. Ive never tried with lipstick but works well on most grout stains. its a thicker liquid and doesn't run right off. shake container well before using.

Last edited:
Carolyn, nice work today. I feel good if I can get over 300 calories in less than an hour lately. I thought the Stretch Max would be good for not putting pressure on the neck or shoulders and just getting in a relaxing stretch.

Valerie, I will have to check out soft scrub with bleach. I suppose it would be similar to the Lysol toilet bowl cleaner that was sort of like a gel and the squirted along the grout and let it sit a bit and then wiped it all back off and cleaned the floor. At least it is down to just pink. The grout is kind of a beige to go with the tile in the bathroom. I am not sure if I have any of the grout. We had the tile professionally installed that we purchased ourselves. I remember we purchased a product that was supposed to be mixed into the grout to help seal it and make it resist stains. Only, we forgot to use it. I did however put several coats of clear sealant over the grout after it was done.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday I woke up late and only did a 10 min upper body workout. Better than nothing! This morning was LEKFit Sculpt (about 50 mins) and at lunch I did a 30 min SanFran Boxing bounce at lunch.

Diane Sue...Good to know KCM is still 6.99. Such a bargain!

Deb...oh so sorry you still are not feeling well. :(. I will post recipe at end of my post. I use my instant pot for steel cut oats and I love them. Only takes a few minutes. What kind of oats do make overnight? Too funny..I am typing on my ipad right now and have no problem with no keyboard!! I have a bluetooth one that I bought but never use.

Judy...I bet the Peloton is amazing for you!! Makes complete sense you would invest in one!!!! Say what??? You are in the electrical department?? That is crazy! Yes you need to speak up!

Valerie...that sounds like a lot of Chia seeds!! Nice ride yesterday!

Carolyn...Yup..step boss had your name on it! What device do you use to monitor your fitness. My apple watch seems to be consistent. It may be way off but it seems to always be consistent which I like.

Here is the recipe...I use 1/2 teaspoon of organic brown sugar in place of the tablespoon of maple syrup. I needed to cut the sugar due to my type 2. But you can adjust accordingly. Pretty much have this 5 times a week now! Lol!!

1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsp chia seeds
1tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Dash of cinnamon...I use a couple of dashes!

Combine all ingredients in a wide mouth mason jar and stir well. Refrigerate for 4 hours and up to 5 days

soft scrub is abrasive, like plain old powdered kitchen cleansers like Comet, but a thick liquid. slightly abrasive. the bleach likes to separate from the rest of it if it sits for a while. so shake before using. its easy if its a flat surface, but harder to keep in place if it's vertical. I try to put it right on grout, not so much on the tile around it, due mainly to the abrasiveness. it will scrub off the shine. I never used lipstick much so I don't know how hard it is to get out off things, but I've had good luck with other stains.

garden session today, no formal workout. my beets are ready to pick! corn is almost ready. squash will be a while. zucchini for an army. green beans for the neighborhood. cucumbers.

Lori, thanks for the recipe. I looked it up and found several versions of chocolate chia pudding , but yours is better because it's one serving. I like to try one before making a large amount. I haven't been too thrilled with chia seeds overall.

my heart rate is much higher when its warm out. something to do with not sweating and just getting hotter and hotter. I find biking works best outside when its hot because of the wind chill factor.

This morning I did Kelly Cardio Sculpt Fitness cardio premix, 40 minutes, 127 average, 166 heart rate, 3041 steps, met 8.0, 283 calories(includes abs). I then did Step Jump and Pump all step mix, 26 minutes, heart rate average 137, max 170, 2087 steps, 165 calories, met 8.5. Total time was 66 minutes, 448 calories, 5,128 steps.
I have my grandson here today. I need to run a couple of errands while I just have one :) Be back in awhile.

No workout today. I woke up with a terrible headache, along with nausea and dizziness. I haven’t been able to eat anything but I just drank some broth that I had in the freezer. Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow.

Reactions: WD
Hi all,

Agility class this morning, so much fun!

Judy, a seasonal leave sounds like the direction you may be heading to. Too bad they will be losing a good employee until next year.

Valerie, I am not a fan of chia seeds either. I ended up tossing the ones I had. I didn't like the consistency. No Step Boss for me either! I have tried all kinds of things to clean my kitchen floor grout. Will have to try the Soft Scrub with bleach.

Carolyn, Hope you feel better soon! You have been doing some great workouts. Are you doing the August rotation? You will have to let us know what how a step workout is done in the PHA format. :). I am still looking forward to clips of the new workouts, even thought I would not order them.

Diane Sue, keeping a 5 year old busy is a lot of work! Putting him to work vacuuming was a smart idea..LOL...This is funny...the woman I take semi-private agility lessons from on Thursdays has a big steel building at the back of her property where she teaches agility...no restroom facilities, and she does not really want people traipsing through her house to use the facilities. ( I'm sure if you were desperate or sick she woul let you..). Got there today and saw that she had a brand new Porta-potty installed, will have it year round. My friend and I were so thrilled..:)...the things that make us happy, Now I can have my cup of coffee with me when I drive there.

Lori, I have the iPad keyboard with blue tooth, but it is still not the same as having a full desktop keyboard. I absolutely hate using the on screen keyboard! I have been puttin a half cup of old fashioned oats, half cup ( or less or more depending on how liquidy you want them) of unsweetened almond milk, 1 teaspoon of maple syrup, pinch of salt and apple pie spice, and a couple table3spoons of walnuts in a container, cover and leavem overnight in the refrigerator. I was surprised at how much I like them, better than yogurt for a snack and really filling.

Take care,

I'm not an authority on cleaning products, believe me! we get a lot of mildew and slimy surfaces here because of ongoing dampness/wetness. one of my stand bys is cleanser with bleach, and I like the liquid formula much better than powder..... straight liquid bleach is too strong, splashes everywhere. the big hazard is if you scrub anything with a brush and softscrub, you get an aerosol of tiny bleach filled particles and potential white speckles on your clothes. DH has many many shirts like this! its easy to forget it contains bleach. I never use bleach in the laundry, but for cleaning sinks and the salad spinner, it works nicely. I used to use it on shower tile grout but after many years it got embedded and didn't work anymore.

we also bought a keyboard to go with the ipad, but I tried to use it in the car. two slippery devices were sliding every where. easier with one device even if keyboard is smaller. I cant really type on a flat keyboard at all.

I have a HUGE bag of chia seeds so try things as I come across them. it wasn't expensive. so far I like the Giada's chia pudding the best. it is similar to what Lori posted, but vanilla not chocolate. her version has some nonfat plain yogurt added that improved the texture but still only occasional. I will add cocoa powder to it this time and see if I like it.
Carolyn, hope you feel better soon.

a porta potty is a great idea. I would not want a lot of people traipsing thru my house all the time, and a porta potty takes care of it nicely. public restrooms get abused, and some people who seem nice and normal ...must be responsible for bad bathroom etiquette. between me and my water, and DH and his diuretic meds, we know location of every bathroom in every store!

Tuesday I did LiTe Stacked Sets Lower body and yesterday I did Lite Stacked Sets Upper Body and a Peloton Ride. Today I did a 45 minute Peloton ride after work. I'm starting a recovery/active rest week tomorrow.

Lori, I would probably eat the chia pudding in one sitting. It wouldn't be stored for long LOL. It looks good except I would leave out the cocoa and use macadamia milk or coconut milk. I am loving macadamia milk lately.

Valerie, I do remember the soft scrub separating. When we moved I had some that sat for 7 months and it was not useable anymore. I think it is generally what color the lipstick is and what it is put on. I had one of my children use a bright red on walls that were white flat paint and there was no way that would come out. I scrubbed the paint off the wall and ended up with primer and then paint to take care of it. It was a rental.
That is great you are harvesting some items out of your garden. Funny, my grandson wanted an ear of corn when we went to Sprouts, so he had Annies soup and corn on the cob for lunch. I use mold and mildew spray in the shower after I clean it with Lysol cleaner. It seems to keep they tile grout white. I ran out of bleach when I tried to get the lipstick out of the towel.

Carolyn, I hope you are feeling better this evening. I wonder what is making you sick.

Deb, I would have dreaded not having a restroom available. I bet you were happy to see a porta potty there. Great that the class was fun today. I don't like it when I have to skip my morning coffee that is part of my routine.

Judy, nice job on the stacked sets and Peloton ride.

Good morning,

Had a nie time at my cousins yesterday afternoon/evening visiting with cousins from California and my uncle from Florida. Way too much to eat though.

Valerie, I have a couple different homemade recipes for grout cleaner that I got from Pinterest. I know I was happy with one, but don't remember where I put them. Could be on my desktop PC. I have that same keyboard, (it's a magnetic one that the iPad sticks into?)..and it works well on a flat non-moving surface..LOL...If I have it even on my lap, it slips around and breaks apart if I type there. I like to use it more like a stand when watching Prime etc. Also, I am on the 2nd season of Shameless. Yep, pretty much offensive to everything. I didn't think I would get hooked when I first started, but I am now. :).

Judy, nice job on the Stacked sets workouts and the ride.

Diane Sue, no way I skipped morning coffee, would just not have one on the drive there. :)

Hi to Lori and Carolyn,

Take care,

I did pyramid pump upper body yesterday. A good one! I kicked up many of the weights on this one making it a better workout for me. it moves fast but I enjoy supersets. I like that I can get it done with 5, 8, 10, and 12 lbs and not have to get out every weight I own. I was going to do Ramped up, but was in a hurry and didn't see a premix I could get done before dinner, maybe I was too rushed to look carefully. I know I need to turn off the sound track on that one. funny how those little things have such an influence on what I actually do.

Somehow, Shameless threads a line where the characters do awful, obnoxious things but then do something so kind and right that you forgive them for it! or like them anyway. something like that. I'm glad you are watching and enjoying it. Some characters stay thru many seasons of the series and others get “retired” and new ones come in. it’s not for everyone. we have watched something like 8 or 9 seasons. every time I think they have offended me once too often, I decide to finish the season and they redeem themselves.

Lori I made a chia pudding yesterday and added some cocoa to it. it has a texture like tapioca. will test as snack today.

I cant think of any reason I'd skip morning coffee. if I have to be fasting I'll drink it black. I don't care if it's hot or cold, but don't get in my way .

Garden has been producing since May, just not always the same thing. Its such a big influence on what's for dinner.

Last edited:
I’m feeling better today and was able to do a workout. I did Chiseled Upper Body for 43 minutes and 203 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 144.

Deb, that’s great that you were able to spend time with your cousins and uncle.

Diane Sue, my headache was a weather related sinus headache. I get them one or two times a year. It’s usually a 2-3 day headache. Wednesday it was just enough to be annoying, but yesterday was awful. Today I have what my daughter calls “headache hangover”. I feel better but not very energetic.

Valerie, great job with Pyramid Pump Upper Body.

Judy, great job with the Stacked Sets Upper Body, Lower Body, and Peloton ride.

Hello to Lori.

Good evening ladies!

Yesterday was a BBS upper and lower with Bands. I then did a SBF bis and tris target. This morning was LEKfit fusion workout. Had dance and upper/lower.

Hope you like the chia pudding. I like that it makes only 1 serving. I make a three at a time a couple times a week. Love it on the afternoon.

Carolyn...glad you are feeling better!

Deb...your oat recipe sounds great! Going to try this out. I could never miss my morning coffee either. You do not want to be near me if I have too! Great idea with the porta potty!!!!! I have heard Shameless is great. We have yet to watch it.

Valerie...wish I have the energy for a garden. My neighbors do and I envy them!!

We leave in the morning for our annual Cape vacation. I have’t even started packing yet! Yikes!!! Off to pack now!!

Hi to Diane and Judy!!!!

Today I did Pedal Power premix and added a bit to make it 40 minutes, met 7.5, 265 calories, heart rate average 127, max 172, 2,903 steps. I then did Ice to the Mat ball timesaver, 23 minutes, met 4.0, 75 calories, heart rate 87/116, 112 steps. I finished with Stretch Max with the band, 18 minutes, 42 calories, 64 steps (this had some spots that hurt my shoulder and I had to back off the band) Total time was 81 minutes, 382 calories, 3079 steps. I had so much pain last night after hauling groceries in and a box from the door step. Today I have been so careful, but it still hurts. I hope that physical therapist can help Friday because I don't know how long I can tolerate this. If that doesn't work I have to see the arthritis doctor and I am sure I will be waiting for the mri, unless they have that in their own facility. I know the do their own dexa scans, labs, infusions etc..

Deb, I have looked at those tablet holders with the keyboard and did not think I would end up using it. The cover I got for my new Samsung tablet has a 360 turning device so I can stand the tablet up vertically or horizontally. I sometimes set it upright on the kitchen counter to read so I can sit up straight to protect my neck from looking down all the time.
LOL on the coffee. When I have a small cup, the first thing I head for when I get home is a nice big mug of coffee. I do like my reading and coffee time in the morning to start my day. When my children were small I had tea most mornings and did crossword puzzles. My tastes change here and there. I have recently started buying matcha powder and making an iced matcha drink with macadamia milk. I have my hot coffee and then and iced matcha drink in the morning. Matcha is supposed to be good for you. I bought some of the four sigmatic with lions mane and ginger in it and it does not have quite so much caffeine in it. Funny how some of those shows draw you in like that. My husband has started some series that I thought I would hate and felt offended at sometimes and ended up finding myself watching anyway.

Valerie, I like the Pyramid Upper workout too. I have not done all of those enough to remember all of the premixes though. I do have the user guides on my tablet for reference though. I have always loved tapioca pudding. Something that my mother made a lot and topped with some fruit. I bought some CeCe's Noodle company freshly spiralized butternut squash and it is perfect when I put it in the skillet with a little olive oil and garlic. I had some today. The first time I bought it I figured it was going to be the usual mushy turn out or have a taste like a lot of those bags of cubed butternut squash have, but it was just like I had did it myself. I am pleased with it. Butternut squash is hard to cut let alone spiralize.

Carolyn, I know that headache hangover feeling. I hope you get your energy back and get some rest. Glad that you are feeling better.

Lori, nice workouts. Have fun with your trip to the cape.

I am enjoying the chia pudding. the Giada version is the same as Loris recipe except she adds a half a cup of non fat greek yogurt. I like it with cocoa powder or with vanilla. somehow it tastes better to me now than the first times. better in summer? I'm using non fat dairy milk instead of almond milk. DH doesn't like almond milk and we don't want too many different "milks" going, and I like the higher protein of dairy milk. I want a milk that steams OK in coffee so again dairy milk. I think the vanilla version needs fruit and a few toasted almonds, maybe same with the chocolate. I had it plain yesterday. it resembles tapioca more than anything. something is better about it this time. :cool:

I did Reved up rumble and core 1, along with knee push ups. 50 or so. also some garden work and bunch of errands for DH this morning.

diane sue you may need to leave that shoulder alone for a while. I can't get MRIs ( pacemaker interference) but sometimes rest it and not re injuring the same spot may be best. I was never sure what caused my problem , but lovely to have it better, even if it took a while to get there. my problem was my right shoulder, my dominant side. it got better. if you can get an mri it might be a fast way to see if there is an actual injury or tear. maybe a good PT /doc can tell from examining you and seeing what movements cause pain.
I laid off weights for many weeks, and restarted with much lighter weight on that side. didn't do more 5 lbs on the rt. felt silly with 12 lbs in left and 5 on rt but I slowly, gradually increased weight as long as it didn't hurt. back to normal now. shoulder is a complex joint and common to injure.

Last edited:
This morning I did JS Cardio Step Jam from the WS3 program. It was 32 minutes and 246 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 153. I hosted my investment club here today, so I did my workout while I baked a coffee cake. I feel more like myself today, but I’m avoiding going outside. The temperature is mid nineties and the humidity is terrible!

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that your shoulder is giving you so trouble. The therapist will probably be able to help you get some relief over time, but it takes a while.

Lori, nice job with BBS upper and lower, SB Bis and Tris, and Lekfit Fusion. You mentioned Obe Fitness earlier and that reminded me that it is one of the rewards offered on the WW program. You earn reward points for things like tracking and activity and they can be redeemed for free things.

Valerie, I’m glad you that you like the chia pudding. Nice work with Rev’d Up Rumble and all of those push ups!

Hello to Judy and Deb. Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I just did Sarah Beth Yoga on youtube. Seated yoga and hands free yoga so as not to aggravate the area with putting weight on it. I like these two segments. I added a bit of foam rolling and this all took me 32 minutes. When my husband and son get done with putting a rack on the motorcycle we are going to our church to finish up some caulking and my husband is going to trim a door to fit. I packed up two caulking guns. Hopefully I can do a decent job helping with my left hand. I packed up a step stool so I don't have to reach up. We will see how it goes. If too much irritation, I will just be the go getter of things needed.

Valerie, it is my right side so it is taking some work to not use it for everything. I read that you should let it rest mostly. There is some suggestions on what to do and not do on the PT site before you come in. I was just looking it over. Since it begins on the side of the neck, runs down to the front of the shoulder, then to elbow, and finally wrist which gets numb and tingly, I am thinking maybe a pinched nerve or something. They do say not to stop moving. I have completely stopped weight work for upper and the last few days stopped picking up weights for lower as it seems to still tax the upper picking the weights up. So, barre work, floor like the stability ball that does not require being in a plank position, some cardio and stretching. I think that boxing aggravates. I am trying to not do what causes more pain. Oddly I was in a lot of pain yesterday and I rode the spin bike and lower with stretch. I was fine till I did that band stretch. I think the arthritis doctor figures after having me move my arm around that PT would be the best start and if it does not seem to be working, then the mri.
I think dairy always tastes better. I am not a fan of almond milk. At least not grocery store stuff. I have made my own almond milk and cashew milk , not diluted as much with water and a touch of honey. It was delicious. The problem with it is it is way expensive and lots of work. Plus you throw out the nut pulp. Although I froze a bit and tossed it into banana bread and baked goods. I am not one to waste stuff. I am liking the Milkadamia brand milk and creamer. Plain is good and also vanilla is nice. I know you do not like coconut, but I like it pretty well. The thing with coconut milk is it goes bad fairly quickly once opened. It tastes awful when it goes bad and quite often is not at the use by date. I have been trying to lower the amount of cream that I use and right now am down to one tablespoon in my morning cup of coffee. We will see how long that lasts :)

Carolyn, we are upper 90's and the humidity is bad. It poured rain yesterday. Outside is not pleasant. Besides the grass pollen is up there right now. Nice work today. The heat tends to make me feel nauseous and dizzy lately. I used to take Gertie for walks in the heat. Glad that you are feeling better. That is what I do when we have ladies game day. I usually have things ready to bake and mix up quickly to stick in the oven while I get in a quick workout.

I wish PT was sooner. I have an appointment Wed with my doctor to go over the Smart Beat results an Friday is PT and they said around 2 hours time will be spent.

I did Ramped upper body today, I like the workout a lot, but harder than the ones I've been doing lately. I do not match Cathe's weights on this one, at least not all the time. I haven't done the whole workout for a while and lowered a little to weights I was sure I could do. I am still cautious on overhead things and flys.

diane sue, I don't mean not use your arm. I did all normal things, no choice since I'm right handed, but did not lift weights, even light ones, for several weeks. I don't remember how long I backed off, might have been 6 weeks. I did cardio and anything that didn't noticeably involve the front of the shoulder. chances are the same thing is not wrong for you. Hope you get some good feedback soon.
I like almond milk with cereal but I find greek yogurt keeps me satisfied way longer so that is what I will do for now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.