Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/14/2023

Today I did Perfect Pump Upper Body and the Extended Stretch. My time was 46 minutes with 196 calories burned. My average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Cathy, great job with Boxing HiiT Express and RWH Bis, Tris, and Shoulders. RWH has good strength workouts. You are smart to keep the hotel reservation for graduation. You never know how Derek will feel as he gets closer to the event.

Judy, nice job with the Peloton rides and arms. That must be hard to do after work.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that you are not feeling well. Hopefully it has passed. Cathe’s rotations do help me remember the older workouts. Just reading through them helps even when I’m don’t want to do the workout right away.

Hello to Valerie.

we did a longer road ride today, on the local trail. a part of the trail that was badly deteriorated last time we rode there was resurfaced somewhat, and is now OK to ride again. havent ridden this section in almost 2 years. 25 miles in 2 hrs 20 minutes. there are busy road crossings on this section where we need to stop traffic to get across. it was not always as busy it is now. press a button to get the light to change and scoot across. adds 5-10 min onto our ride time.

graduation events are so tedious. we went to more than our share of them. the bigger the group, the worse it was. you feel guilty if you don't attend even if you KNOW it will be deadly boring,. we did the right thing and always went.

Last edited:
Storms all night and my dog came in my room for safety. She does not like thunder and it was loud and woke me up anyway. Then the rain was coming down hard. So not much sleep. Then my phone rang through my watch at 8 and woke me and it was some crazy number I deleted about storm insurance. :mad: I have call block but those things get through sometimes. I felt sort of weak when I got up and am mainly tired. I needed to make an eye appointment for the arthritis doctor and got that done and had problems sending the blood work to my doctor. I finally got it. Their website is not working. I mentioned it to the guy because I had not been able to get into my portal and then it was just gone. He said it was a mess because their web person got sick and then died and things are all a mess getting the stuff he had. Yikes! Anyway I finally got that done. and went on to deal with the yard people, but can't reach them due to them closing because of the weather.
Finally, I did Kelly's new Raw Box, Bands, and Abs 52 minutes (due to writing it down)
233 calories, heart rate 120/172, 1,116 steps. I liked this one. No impact at all and it works different muscle groups. I did a bit of stretching on my own to loosen up, but did not count them in my time. At first I was worried when I saw the step with 3 risers, but then read the description which I am glad Kelly does and she said it is not needed. Last set of abs is done on the floor as planks anyway.
Kelly also has a box and trampoline workout and a box and abs workout up.

RAW Box, Bands, and Abs 43:30 minutes
3 rounds of moves 30 seconds work
uses a fabric loop, latex loop tied (me a latex heavy loop), and optional step for abs, plus egg weights if using
each round changes moves

jab/cross/hook/upper cut all right
jab/ cross/hook/uppercut all left
repeat
jab/cross/hook/up facing forward right
jab/cross/hook/up facing forward left
repeat
fabric loop pulse squat out 4 sets
crunches on step hands holding onto step knee pulls 4 sets

boxing high/low/high/single hook 4 sets
hook/hook upper/upper 4 times
squat out fabric band 2 sets each side
squat up down in 2 sets each side
abs on step holding top reverse crunches 4 sets

boxing inside/up/cross 2 sets each side
upper cut/cross/hook/back knee 2 sets each side
latex loop around ankles wide step out alternating with arm pulls
latex loop tap out side 4 times and in with arm pulls alternating sides
low plank knee in and up behind knee in 4 sets

stretch

Judy, Kelly did put up new workouts. I have been checking since you mentioned it.

Cathy, back grounds and music affect how much I enjoy a workout. I used to like that RWH had a cardio component to the lower body strength, but as time has passed and injuries, I tend to shy away from it.
Nice work using RWH bis, tris, and shoulders. I liked that that one of those was more back of shoulders and the other more front.

Carolyn, nice work on Perfect Pump Upper Body and extended stretch. I used to look at Cathe's rotations but have not in a very long time. I even have a few printed out. STS 2.0 will be here soon. I am looking forward to them.

Valerie, great job on the 25mile ride today. I think when it is immediate family graduating for the first time it is more pleasant. I think though that when they choose speakers they should give short talks or not be so boring. I only remember one graduation that actually had one speaker that actually had a lot of people cheering and laughing. Maybe they should only have one speaker, but it always seems like several before the young people finally get their graduation certificates(or holders).

Yesterday I did 30 minutes of Peloton strength and took a break from cardio. I work 8 hours today and am not really looking forward to it. At least I will get a lot of steps in but I’d rather be doing something more fun.

Diane Sue-I’m sorry you weren’t feeling well. It is hard to get motivated to workout after working. especially now that I am over 60. I’m thinking I won’t work too much longer. I hate to quit but I might try going seasonal and only working a few months out of the year. Thanks for posting the breakdown of RAW Box, Bands, and Abs.

Cathy-Great job with Bi's, Tri's and shoulders from RWH. The weather looks wonderful for the next few days.

Carolyn-Great job with Perfect Pump Upper Body and the Extended Stretch. It is hard to work out after work. I probably wouldn’t if it was longer than a 4 hour shift.

Valerie-Great job with the long ride. We haven’t really gone to many graduations. Family is so far away that it wasn’t something we could easily do.

I didn’t work out at all today. I thought about doing lower body since I missed Thur, but I wanted to get to the Farmer’s Market early. I did that and picked up nice produce. The strawberries are still very good and a few peaches were available. I decided to wait on the peaches. I came away with kale, arugula, mixed salad greens, radishes, strawberries, grape tomatoe, and fresh red onions. I plan to make a farro salad tomorrow and wanted get the fresh ingredients for that and my daily salads. It was a successful morning!

Valerie, nice job with the 25 mile ride. Graduations can be very tedious if you aren’t the immediate family. Limited seating makes it easy to pass on the main event!

Diane Sue, great job with Kelly’s Raw Box, Bands, and Abs. It looks like a good workout. Storms all night make it hard to sleep. We will have similar weather this afternoon and tonight.

Judy, nice job with the Peloton strength. Cutting back on work hours will give you more time for other things.

Hello to Cathy.

Got up early and did a workout that's really good, but I honestly don't remember why I decided to create it. Alternates IMAX 3 combos, with one or more hiit moves from P30 Low Impact. Gives me a great workout. Then I went into full prep for Nick mode. He's on the plane now awaiting take off. Leaving in an hour or so to go get him. He's only in the air about an hour before we have to leave for the airport. But, I have some meals prepped for him, and the basement area he uses cleared of my stuff. Oh, and my sister gave me a heads up the Roku was having their streaming day, so stuff is on sale through Best Buy plus they are running discounts on some streaming services. I've been eyeing a 24" TV for my workout area, and it was down to $99, plus I have gift card/rewards for $32. It arrives Monday and while Derek and DH were gone so Derek caould figure out driving the "new" car, I rearranged my workout stuff, so I can set it on the top of the shelf that holds some of my equipment. It arrives Monday, and I just need to explain to DH why we have that sitting next to the other TV. LOL He hates technology, so the odds he'd ever want to learn how to use it are pretty close to zero. This way he can just keep using the old one.

Caroline great job with Perfect Pump Upper Body and the Extended Stretch. Sounds like you had a very successful trip to the Farmers Market.

Valerie nice long ride. Too bad about having to stop for the traffic crossings, so many places are getting busier. I've never been to a really big graduation. Actually I think the biggest was my own high school class at just over 300. The boys classes were in the 125-140 range. Quite a nice size. Though Derek's was weird because of COVID.

Diane Sue that would be really hard to have the main person running your computer program to die and no one else understands it. A big mess for sure. Sorry to hear about your night of thunderstorms. I have my phone set to not notify me of unknown numbers. I figure if it's someone I don't have in my contacts, and legit, they'll leave me a message. I have the boys set so they can text and call at any time, but the rest are shut off 8:30-7:00. Nice job with Raw Box, Bands, and Abs.

Did only therapy work today with a few extra exercises thrown in. probably riding tomorrow morning.

cathy this is great trail, for bikes walkers and horses. its part of a huge network of similar trails around the puget sound area. many were former railroad right-of-ways so they are fairly level and direct routes that connect big areas. some areas are busier than others. we are in the least busy area. we like two sections of this one. there are many access points with parking that helps spread out the crowds. bikes go the furthest. most walkers only need a couple miles of trail . the only downside is the trail crosses busy roads in a few spots. they have lights but you need to stop, push a button and wait for traffic to stop, then continue on. there are other less busy roads and driveways. you l need to slow down and look. don't want to get squashed, still its better than riding on the shoulder in real traffic. the tree roots heave up the asphalt and split it. this was a decent fix.

i dont answer anything if I don't recognize the number from my contact list. everyone else can leave a vm and I'll call back. we've always been careful and don't get many spam calls because we never got on an easy hit list. my sister always picks up and gets dozens a day. she wont listen.

our HOA has a similar situation where only one guy knew the (private) water system well. we lucked out he's lived long enough to train a new person! we always worried something might happen and no one would know how it worked.

Today I started CDorner Vertical Step 80's music and did 13 minutes(lots and off the step top only turns and was not in the mood), so went to her 80's step workout #291 31 minutes, both combined was 44 minutes, heart rate 132/168, 234 calories, and approximately 4000 calories since I forgot to check my watch before I started. I finished with her Morning Stretch 20 minutes, 20 calories. Total time was 64 minutes, 254 calories.
Family day is tomorrow, and we are celebrating Mother's day and 3 birthdays. I have the guy coming in the morning to mow. Now I don't have to worry about the people coming Monday to spray fertilizer and weed stuff.

Carolyn, it sounds like getting to the farmers market early and getting fresh produce was a win for the day. I got strawberries yesterday from Walmart and they were actually sweet and good. Usually they have no taste or a lot of green on them.

Judy, nice work on the Peloton ride. 8 hours of work will definitely add on the steps.

Valerie, nice work getting in the therapy work. I hope you got a good ride in. Riding on roads with vehicles would worry me. We had a pastor that road all of the time and him and another man went riding and a pick up hit them, his bike helmet came off and he went through a lot of therapy. This was a rural area and not a crowded road. It did go into the town though. I never heard who hit them and wondered if it was someone that lived in the community, and they kept it quiet. I have Scam block set on my phone and if a name that I do not know or number, I do not answer it. I go in and block it and delete the number. I do not get a lot.

Cathy, I do not think that I would have the patience to create my own workouts from parts of workouts myself. It sounds like it would be a good workout though. I have been getting stuff from Roku a lot this week trying to get me to purchase sound systems and tvs. We have 4 Rokus in our house and 2 fire tvs sticks. A new smarter tv would be nice for the living room, but my husband wants a monster tv. The one we have is 72 inch now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.